What would you pay for a 2003 Gen III with 60K miles...

racer768

I know this is a bit of an ambiguous question, but I've been looking for a Gen III (03-06) and ran across an 03 in great shape with 60K miles. It's at a dealership and they are asking $10K. Too high? About right? Curious of your thoughts.

racer768

Thanks for the feedback...in my quest to find a good deal on a Gen III, I've been quite amazed at how high these are listed at (mostly dealers, but some Private Party as well). As said earlier, there doesn't really seem to be much of a demand and when looking on Cars.com, it also doesn't seem that dealers tend to move these too quickly yet they still have 130K+ mile Gen IIIs listed at over $10K. My guess is that this is because the KBB value...but let's be honest, at the end of the day it's a simple game of supply and demand. The other challenge that I'm running into is that there are never any in the DC area where I'm located so I'm forced to go elsewhere which can get tricky as we all know.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
I had always thought that car dealers made money on volume, on moving their inventory. My experience in the past couple of years has told me that they're apparently happy to sit on cars for months or years rather than deal. I don't get it.

Ten year old truck? I would expect it to go for $8K or so, but vehicle pricing varies widely by region.

racer768

I have looked at LC 100s as well, but obviously are a bit more expensive. To put things in context, this will actually be my wife's DD which will see light adventure duty for a few years to come. At that point, I'll look to build it into something for "fun". I've just always been impressed with Monty's for the value they present.

MontyMcV

Observer
Whenever I am looking around, Gen IIIs always are a couple grand more than a Gen II with an overall comparable "profile."
Been looking some at cars as well since son turned 16. Another strange thing that I have been seeing is cars that are not at all that great- high miles, samage, rust that I wouldn't buy, and that are on dealer lots. Not only that, but dealers of a different brand of auto. A local Audi store has a Lancer that is way into the hundreds on miles, has damage and rust clearly visisble in the pics, and the price is $4k!!!

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Money talks- remember, however, that most new-car dealerships make more money on used cars, than on new ones. Just look at the gap between "book" trade and retail values. Often they can't make that much on the new car. If you're really just kicking tires (don't ever let on that its more than that), offer them $500 over trade/wholesale. They can laugh at you, they might claim that they spent "so" much, just to put it on the lot- they didn't. If a sales guy can make a couple of buck in a half hour, he will.

DSouth

Observer
I too am considering a Gen III, and looking around it is easy to see the people who use KBB as their pricing source. But, the reality is KBB is much higher than actual sale prices. For the 2 cars that I've sold recently edmunds.com estimate was right on the money. That said, I think 6-7k for that car would be in the right spot. If they laugh at you, just walk away. Cash in hand is powerful to many sellers as well. Good Luck with your hunt!

lilkia

There are very few full size monteros for sale around this area, a 2003 Limited with 60k for $10 grand would go pretty quick. I recently bought an unbelievably clean 02 Limited with 130k for $7k. I have already had several people ask me if I was interested in selling, but I dont think its going anywhere any time soon.

racer768

This is all great information. This particular Monty has been on the lot for a month and a half. Just by looking on Auto Trader and Cars.com, the demand for these seem to be rather low, at least on the east coast. Either that or KBB pricing, which most are priced at, is just too far out of reach for those looking. I'll keep you all posted on where I end up with this or another Monty.

racer768

I think I'm going to try to make a journey this week and take a look at it. I do know that this was a trade directly to the dealership, so not acquired through auction which means they probably have more wiggle room since I'm sure they got it pretty low. I can't imagine they have more than $6500 in it, but I'll never know. So I'm going to work from there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman