What would you pay for a better Flippac?

How much would you pay for a modern Flippac?

• $4000

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • $5000

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • $6000

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • $7000

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • $8000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $9000

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

DaVikes

Adventurer
I've been reading the "Ursa Minor Modern Shell" thread. It seems that many of you would have an interest in a better Flippac. My question is what would you pay for one? Please assume the new product had an improved tent design, an improved spring, ready availability, and good service, and was otherwise similar.

I looked into manufacturing one fairly seriously this past fall. I got stuck on the cost of the fiberglass. My design had a similar amount of fiberglass as the Flippac. I had the fiberglass components quoted by two companies here in Denver. The lower quote had the fiberglass at about $2500, and that was from the larger, much more capable firm. Windows average about $100 each. With miscellaneous hardware and a tent, I was closing in on $4000 cost, before any overhead. That left me thinking that the sale price would have to be about $7000. But I'm not sure how many could be sold annually at that price.

I've thought about how FRP, who makes the Flippac, manages to sell theirs (FOB their shop), for about $4k. One factor is that they are the fiberglass shop, so there is only one layer of profit in the fiberglass. Another is that their molds are most likely fully amortized. Lastly, judging by how they treat the business, I think they may use the product as a "full employment" project. In other words, they use it to provide hours for their employees when other product areas are slow. It might not make money, but the employees are at least kept whole. At least that is my guess.

It's tough to get a handle on how many Flippac's or similar products could be sold annually. A dealer here, who still sells Flippacs, told me that a few years ago they sold between 20 and 25. However, that was pre 2008. Since then, truck sales have dropped, and the overall RV market has shifted from slide in truck campers to trailers.

I appreciate any thoughts you might have. I'm going to attempt to create a poll. Hopefully it works:chef:

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Well I don't know that I'd pay any more than for a Flip Pac (which I'm in the market for right now). People often think "I can make that for a lot less and better" but they forget the overhead, shipping, tooling, etc. It sounds like you are NOT forgetting those concerns and if you get something together then cometition can only make the market stronger right?

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I paid about 5k for mine and for that amount of money I would like to not have the worries and issues I do currently. Reaching closer to 10k and might as well get a shell version of a FWC and be much happier with a similar but better product. So for me it is either save for a FWC or invest in an upgraded tent when/if one is produced.

I mentioned this in the other thread but thought I should post it here too. I don't see a great need to redesign the Flippac, just the tent. If someone would make a replacement tent like the Nemo JK Habitat tent they could sell it as a replacement to current owners and could market it to FRP and AT as an all-weather option for new purchasers.

DaVikes

Adventurer
Before I started down the path, I thought I would be able to be price competitive. Wrong. Thus my question about what you'd be willing to pay. If no one is willing to pay more than about $5k, then my project is doa. Better to find out before paying for the tooling. Thanks for your reply.

DaVikes

Adventurer
I mentioned this in the other thread but thought I should post it here too. I don't see a great need to redesign the Flippac, just the tent. If someone would make a replacement tent like the Nemo JK Habitat tent they could sell it as a replacement to current owners and could market it to FRP and AT as an all-weather option for new purchasers.

I agree, the basic design of the Flippac is ingenious. I don't know if anyone knows how many Flippacs have been sold. So it's hard to know whether it's worth pursuing the replacement tent idea as a business. Love your Titan. I had one of the original hard body king cabs a long time ago, and it was a great truck.

DaVikes

Adventurer
I paid about 5k for mine and for that amount of money I would like to not have the worries and issues I do currently. Reaching closer to 10k and might as well get a shell version of a FWC and be much happier with a similar but better product. So for me it is either save for a FWC or invest in an upgraded tent when/if one is produced.

Hello ETAV8R, I looked through your thread and didn't see you mention any Flippac issues. Maybe I missed it? Anyway, could you elaborate on what your issues are? I may never get my project off the ground as a business, but I'm still contemplating building one for myself. Thanks

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Concerns are the torsion bar, tent lacking any water resistance, and tent screens. I know I can buy a rain fly which is high on my purchase list. The torsion bar has known failures. The tent screens are not fine enough to keep out the super small stuff.

The issue I have had is with leaks when the flippac is closed. FRP attempted to resolve the problem for free out of warranty for which I applaud them. Unfortunately I recently found similar leaks again after a heavy storm.

What would make it worth more to me is for it to be a slide in with the same style tent. Also I'd rather have it cab high and flip out the back rather than have it hanging over the cab, anything to help wind drag. The other advantage to me to a slide in shell would be I have a short bed crew cab Tacoma. Which means a 5'6" bed. I'd gladly take the tailgate off to get a 6' sleeping area on 'ground' level. Another plus to having it flip to the rear rather than over the cab is it serves as a canopy. Add in easy attachment of sidewalls and you have a mud room, changing room, kitchen, porch - or whatever. Very common on RTT. It would be neat to be able to build my camp stove and sink into a slide out drawer and then if I have two of the walls of the extension down, I'm out of the rain and wind and cooking. Would have to make sure not to melt the fiberglass of course.

Anyway, those are some of the things that would make it worth more to me. Some would add cost (slide in) some would be added cost options (extra room). Sit down and list all the pro's and cons of the flippac, the wildernest, the FWC Shell, and RTTs, how many of the advantages of each can you incorporate into the design, and how many drawbacks can you avoid. I'd also look at some of the contractor style slide in pods. Is there anything there you can use? Would any of those manufactures be interested in your buisness since they already have expertise in that kind of fiberglassing? Just a few thoughts...

http://mastertruckbody.com/slide-on-truck-camper/

http://www.fleetwest.net/products/durashell/230.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior