what would you put on the bottom of an expedition camper?

Jfet

Adventurer
I have started welding the base of our flatbed cabover camper on an Isuzu NRR, and I am trying to decide what to do about the bottom of the steel frame that will sit on the metal/wood flatbed.

Some of the ideas would be easier to do now while I can easily flip the base over.

One idea is just to tack weld sheet metal to the underside and caulk it from the inside to prevent moisture somehow seeping up into the floor foam.

Or I could try to find some thick tough plastic, maybe 0.25, and screw or sikaflex it to the underside.

Or wood, metal or plastic then take it somewhere and get it coated in a truck bed liner material.

The plastic would probably be the easiest, but if I attach it now, it will be hard to prevent it melting when I start to weld the upper structure to the base.

Ideas?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I would probably opt for the sheet metal, shoot the inside metalwork with some sort of all-encompassing vinyl-based coating (like maybe Bus-Kote) to keep moisture away from the metal, and then put something like "horse stall mat" between the camper base and flatbed:

Here's a kind of cheapo version:

http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/rubber-roll/heavy-duty-roll.html

Here's the good stuff:

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft_equine_supplies-ft_equine_flooring_wall;pg108730.html

Horse stall mat material is somewhat like...think of flexible particle board formed out of shredded old tires or something. It's bloody heavy, tough and hard to cut, but laughs off horse piss and even horse shoes on a 1000 lb. horse won't damage the heavy EVA stuff.

Jfet

Adventurer
Well that sounds interesting heh...if it stands up to horses and all...

I am thinking also cold rolled steel sheet, maybe 20 gauge, but it will add 120 pounds to the frame...

Maybe polyethelene 3/16" would be lighter..

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I wasn't suggesting the stall mat for the bottom of the camper, but to go in between the camper base and the flat bed.

As I said, I'd probably go with the sheet steel tacked to the bottom of the frame and vinyl painted to prevent rust.

You've got a compromise between weight and longevity. I'd go with the longevity, but that might not meet whatever your goals are.

dlh62c

Explorer
Do some searching on the web regarding RV rebuilds. You might learn what not to do and what materials not to use. Make sure the materials aren't treated with nasty chemicals which could fill the enclosed space by out-gassing. You don't want to be living in a toxic tin can.

Toxic FEMA Trailers

daryl

Last edited:

Jfet

Adventurer
Yes, I would not want to live on top of creosote treated wood or something equally foul.

I think I will finish the frame and then tack weld sheet metal on the bottom. I should be able to weld overhead on my back. It will be a lot easier building the superstructure if I can step inside the base frame.

Or I will just sikaflex the sheet metal to the bottom...

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Or I will just sikaflex the sheet metal to the bottom...
That is probably a better option, as it will avoid any buckling. Heat and sheet metal don't go all that well together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears