What's everyone using for springs?

nfunlimited

Observer
I have a set of very old auto springs on the trailer now......they are too soft, and its difficult to get some extra leaves to go in that are the same. I was thinking about getting new ones and was considering your standard short trailer springs.

What are everyone's thoughts on that, and how do i know for sure the load rating needed?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I have a set of very old auto springs on the trailer now......they are too soft, and its difficult to get some extra leaves to go in that are the same. I was thinking about getting new ones and was considering your standard short trailer springs.

What are everyone's thoughts on that, and how do i know for sure the load rating needed?

Best to stay away from the standard trailer springs, they are too short and stiff.

Go for something longer that will actually move, like CJ7 springs, and add a good shock absorber.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
What Martyn said.

I have some "newish" YJ springs I'm going to throw under the Starcraft when I get to it.

Also consider XJ, full size pickup, etc, etc.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I'm using Ford Ranger rear leaf springs and they are working well so far...

Lots of them cheap in the junk yards..

-

nfunlimited

Observer
Thanks guys. I've decided to rebuild the existing springs. However I don't know how many leafs I will need. There are 4 there now, but there is a mix-match of differnt things. If I keep the main leaf, and 3 new ones should that be enough strength? Here's a pic of the springs
Jeepsusp132.jpg

DSC02284.jpg

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I am using regular 2,000lb trailer springs (together with all 3,500lbs running gear). The ride was very harsh and bouncy, until I noticed that the bolts attaching the shackles to the springs and frame were bubba tight. Once I loosened the bolts and gave the shackles the possibility to move, the ride improved tremendously. Next step will probably be adding shocks with helper springs.

nfunlimited

Observer
Thanks. the springs are fine witha light load, but a big load overloads them. I'd like to be able to get a bit of stone, or soil sometimes

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I'd get a set of air bags and pump them up when your hauling heavy. Provided that the springs you have work good for you most the time. I used Wagoneer front springs on my trailer and I've hauled 1400 lbs of plaster and tile in it with out issues.

nfunlimited

Observer
Thanks. I'm thinking of adding a leaf, and maybe installing extra bumpstops from my tj. That way at least it will hit the bumpstop before the tire rubs. I have 31" bfg's on there now, so a little less clearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger