What's the big difference between the Gen 2 & 2.5?

cjgolfer7

Observer
I've got a 1999 Montero with the winter package in great shape with just over 150k. I also just acquired a 1994 Montero SR, one owner with only 133k. Interior isn't as nice. I just have to replace to fuel pump and tank. I got it for s great price and am contemplating keeping it and selling the 99 or visversa. Just wanted to know what the major differences are and of one was better or more sought after. I'm new to the Montero's but love them. I think they're an extremely under rated vehicle.

raysobi

Adventurer
Cj, congratulations!

There is a thread that already existed, and probably answered most of your questions.

Just search around and you shall find them.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
The big differences are the Gen 2.5 has Blister fenders and no body cladding on the doors (except the rear door) and it has 4.27 gears and 3.0 & 3.5 SOHC engine options.
The Gen 2 comes with plastic flares W/door cladding or just door cladding there are flatside models that have no cladding except the rear door as well but these are more rare (PR) gear ratios are 4.88, 4.63 and 4.27 depending on the year and package and engines are 12V 3.0, 24v 3.0 SOHC, 3.5 DOHC and 3.5 SOHC.

The Gen 2.5 has a slightly different transmission in '99 and '00, front bumper fog lights, more grab handles, dual front air bags, premium sound option, more sound deadening, slightly different buttons for the windows, light blue gauges, slightly different compass, split bench seats and the interior trim including the dash and center console has been more refined and made higher quality than the previous models.

The Gen 2 has orange gauges until '96 and dash handle until '96 at which point it gets dual airbags, the middle row comes in 3 different configurations that i've seen, full bench that folds flat, full bench that does not fold flat and a split bench that also does not fold flat. These trucks also had both types of gas tank, external and internal vents.

On the 1994 you bought, that is a unique SR and i've had a couple. They have different U-joints than any Montero, you may want to switch to the normal style when the time comes (PM me and i'll fill you in) these trucks are also the most powerful and this isn't written on any of the spec sheets this is just my experience but they have the least amount of emissions choking them out.

The reality of it all is that the Gen 2.5 is a Gen 2...

cjgolfer7

Observer
Toasty exactly what I was looking for, thank you. The SR was just absolutely to good of a deal to pass up. Being one owner and having only 130k on it I figured I might keep it and sell my 99. But have really enjoyed my 99. Except for power. Def will have to regear when I go up to a 33" tire. She seems like she doesn't even like pulling the 31's haha.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The big differences are the Gen 2.5 has Blister fenders and no body cladding on the doors (except the rear door) and it has 4.27 gears and 3.0 & 3.5 SOHC engine options.
The Gen 2 comes with plastic flares W/door cladding or just door cladding there are flatside models that have no cladding except the rear door as well but these are more rare (PR) gear ratios are 4.88, 4.63 and 4.27 depending on the year and package and engines are 12V 3.0, 24v 3.0 SOHC, 3.5 DOHC and 3.5 SOHC.

The Gen 2.5 has a slightly different transmission in '99 and '00, front bumper fog lights, more grab handles, dual front air bags, premium sound option, more sound deadening, slightly different buttons for the windows, light blue gauges, slightly different compass, split bench seats and the interior trim including the dash and center console has been more refined and made higher quality than the previous models.

The Gen 2 has orange gauges until '96 and dash handle until '96 at which point it gets dual airbags, the middle row comes in 3 different configurations that i've seen, full bench that folds flat, full bench that does not fold flat and a split bench that also does not fold flat. These trucks also had both types of gas tank, external and internal vents.

On the 1994 you bought, that is a unique SR and i've had a couple. They have different U-joints than any Montero, you may want to switch to the normal style when the time comes (PM me and i'll fill you in) these trucks are also the most powerful and this isn't written on any of the spec sheets this is just my experience but they have the least amount of emissions choking them out.

When did any of the 98-00 models have the 3.0, I thought that engine ended in 96?

Salonika

Monterror Pilot

Toasty,
Any reason why the Gen 2.5's all got the 4.27's but the Gen 2's utilized a greater variety? We're some of the gen 2 gears you listed used in the same model years?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Toasty,
Any reason why the Gen 2.5's all got the 4.27's but the Gen 2's utilized a greater variety? We're some of the gen 2 gears you listed used in the same model years?

A number of reasons, but mainly for better mpg. A numerically lower gear ratio results in a lower cruising engine rpm that gives you better mpg.

Toasty

Jeep-N-Montero, 1998 i think was the only year for 3.0 with the big fenders not counting PR models or at least i've only ever seen them in '98 LS.

Salonika, The gear breakdown is '92-93; 4.63 & 4.88 seemingly at random like most '92-93 features then for '94-96; 4.63 exclusively and for '97-00 4.27 exclusively <Also not including PR models. <Adding to Jeep-N-Montero's MPG statement another reason is to lower the emissions per mile, unfortunately it also puts the Montero under it's power band making the SOHC engine feel sluggish even though it's a great motor.

BEG, The transmissions are controlled differently and i would say they are probably valved differently. I'm not an expert on transmissions by any means but the way i understood the change was to be slightly adaptive and eliminate the need for a POWER mode as it would now do this automatically based on load/pedal mashing. For example the human takes it for out for a rally race then back on the road he reverts to grandpa mode, the transmission will hold gears longer for a bit while it relearns a less aggressive driving style. Now like i said i could be making this up but as far as i know that's how it works, It could be a placebo but when i get my Montero back from the missus it shifts at a much higher RPM for a while before going back to short shifts.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Jeep-N-Montero, 1998 i think was the only year for 3.0 with the big fenders not counting PR models or at least i've only ever seen them in '98 LS.

Salonika, The gear breakdown is '92-93; 4.63 & 4.88 seemingly at random like most '92-93 features then for '94-96; 4.63 exclusively and for '97-00 4.27 exclusively <Also not including PR models. <Adding to Jeep-N-Montero's MPG statement another reason is to lower the emissions per mile, unfortunately it also puts the Montero under it's power band making the SOHC engine feel sluggish even though it's a great motor.

BEG, The transmissions are controlled differently and i would say they are probably valved differently. I'm not an expert on transmissions by any means but the way i understood the change was to be slightly adaptive and eliminate the need for a POWER mode as it would now do this automatically based on load/pedal mashing. For example the human takes it for out for a rally race then back on the road he reverts to grandpa mode, the transmission will hold gears longer for a bit while it relearns a less aggressive driving style. Now like i said i could be making this up but as far as i know that's how it works, It could be a placebo but when i get my Montero back from the missus it shifts at a much higher RPM for a while before going back to short shifts.

I thought all US models got the 3.5 SOHC starting in 1997 even in the LS trim??

Toasty

I thought so too until i saw Karl's Montero, his was a '98 with a 24v 3.0 it could however have been something weird from PR. I never really looked into it much.

Toasty

How big of a project is it to change those gears?

Not big, i guess it really depends on what you get and how you get it. If you just get 4.63's from an SR you're talking about an easy afternoon of bolt out and bolt in action. If you are swapping 4.90's from an AWD Sport you will can swap the complete front housing and then do the gear change in the rear which can take some time. Lastly if you are retaining your original housings front and rear you could be looking at a couple days if you haven't done gear setups before and even if you have it would take all day.
Still it's not a bad job, One thing you can do is buy a front AWD Sport housing and a rear 3rd member from another late model 98-99 with a locker and a 4.90 rear gear set. Do all the work while still driving your truck, install the 4.90 into the donor 3rd member (I recommend the late model 3rd because it's easier due to the updated shape of the air locker diaphragm) and if you want install a front locker into your donor front assembly. Once you have this done you can do the swap out swap in some afternoon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan