What's the deal with caravans?

MLu

Adventurer
Something I've been wondering about for a while now... on this forum we have (almost) every kind of land-borne motorized (and some not) transport known to man...

What is it about regular caravans (http://www.hobby-caravan.de/en/caravans/ for example) that make them complete no-shows? I know most people here seem to be fairly off-road inclined, but for actual long-term overland travel it seems a 4x4 and a big caravan would be an excellent choice. At least for places with roads.

Mind you, I know absolutely jack-diddly-squat about caravans, this is an actual question. Are they all just made for sitting for months on end in the same spot in a camp - impossible to tow and falling apart as soon as they see some gravel? I'm frankly a bit scared of going on a caravaning forum to find out, the people in the caravans seem a bit scary.

People have made overland vehicles out of the most amazing things, but I've yet to see a single traditional caravan used for anything on this forum (except that one guy who chucked one on top of a flatbed). Couldn't you give it a lift and some bigger tires?

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
1) On this side of the pond, those don't seem 'regular' at all - pretty darn fancy looking :)

2) Yes, some manufacturers make ruggedized versions with bigger tires and more clearance, but it still doesn't seem like it would be any fun to try and use them in any actual off road situations - trying to turn around on a trail that's blocked, for example, sounds like a nightmare, as does backing up a trailer for any great distance. Take a look at ADAK trailers, and several more traditional / cheaper manufactures have ruggedized versions too.. But still, people complain about the little adventure trailers more commonly seen behind Jeeps and Land Rovers here cramping their style. Forget about something multiple times as long, with higher center of gravity and even heavier.

anickode

Adventurer
[video]https://youtu.be/Y2xfaPoe-gU[/video]

Those little tiny wheels look like they'd have trouble on the ROADS around here... Those things would hardly make it into the CAMPGROUNDS I frequent, let alone the more remote camping areas. Any sort of trail access would be absolutely out of the question.

Most travel trailers (as we call em) you see in this part of the world are a bit more rugged looking than those, and still have trouble anywhere besides an improved campground or RV park.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears