What's the difference between 1HD, 1HD-FT, 1HD-T and 1HD-FTE?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Looking at Land Cruiser in UK right now on Ebay - 80 and 100 series. (example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-LA...1582379?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2a1fc4432b)

I understand that some 80 has the 1HD or 1HD-FT, and some 100 has either 1HD-T or 1HD-FTE - is that correct?

Could someone tell me in a nutshell what's the difference between these engines, and if one is preferable (either in a 80 or 100)

thank you

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
thanks - somehow I missed it.

Bookmark this site for future reference...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toyota_engines

So here is my understanding from that site:

1HD - Non turbo, Single Overhead Cam (SOHC) - any 80 series

1HD-T - 4.2L Turbo (T) in Series 80 from 1991 to 1995 - Assuming SOHC

1HT-FT - 4.2L Turbo (T) in Series 80 from 1995 to 1997 - Economy narrow-angle valve DOHC (F)

1HT-FTE - 4.2L Turbo (T) in Series 100 - 1998 to ? Economy narrow-angle valve DOHC (F) and Electronic Fuel injection (E)

So it looks like getting a UK 100 Series with the 1HT-FTE would be a great option.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader

1HD - Non turbo, Single Overhead Cam (SOHC) - any 80 series

1HT-FT - 4.2L Turbo (T) in Series 80 from 1995 to 1997 - Economy narrow-angle valve DOHC (F)

1HT-FTE - 4.2L Turbo (T) in Series 100 - 1998 to ? Economy narrow-angle valve DOHC (F) and Electronic Fuel injection (E)

So it looks like getting a UK 100 Series with the 1HT-FTE would be a great option.

Depending on what you are after....

In my world (small) less electronics and direct injection = best.

Grease Cruiser

Adventurer

1HZ - Non turbo, Single Overhead Cam (SOHC) - any 80 series

1HD-FT - 4.2L Turbo (T) in Series 80 from 1995 to 1997 - Economy narrow-angle valve DOHC (F)

1HD-FTE - 4.2L Turbo (T) in Series 100 - 1998 to ? Economy narrow-angle valve DOHC (F) and Electronic Fuel injection (E)

Fixed it for you. There is no 1HD; it is a 1HZ. A 1HD-FTE is the cat's meow but obviously more complicated. For what it is worth, the 105 only came with the 1HZ. The HDJ105 would have the FTE in it.

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
Fixed it for you. There is no 1HD; it is a 1HZ. A 1HD-FTE is the cat's meow but obviously more complicated. For what it is worth, the 105 only came with the 1HZ. The HDJ105 would have the FTE in it.

Tapage posted up a pic showing an ID plate with a 105 and 1HD T,seems its a South American thing only.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Christian, any of the "T" models will be great, but the 1HD-FT or "multivalve" is the ticket. Add a 5 speed trans to any of the Ts and you're heading towards some serious giggles!

alia176

Explorer
Christian, any of the "T" models will be great, but the 1HD-FT or "multivalve" is the ticket. Add a 5 speed trans to any of the Ts and you're heading towards some serious giggles!

Rumor has it that the 5sp manual tranny doesn't quite have the proper 5th gear for the diesel engine's happy rpm range. Evidently, that gear tends to over rev the engine a tad on the hwy.

CycloSteve

Here are the basic stats on popular Toyota Diesels.

• 13B-T = 3.4L, 120hp @ 3400, 159ft-lb @ 2200
• 12H-T = 4.0L, 134hp @ 3500, 232ft-lb @ 1800
• 1HZ = 4.2L, 129hp @ 3800, 210ft-lb @ 2200
• 1HD-T = 4.2L, 162hp @ 3600, 276ft-lb @ 1400
• 1HD-FT = 4.2L, 164hp @ 3400, 280ft-lb@ 1400
• 1HD-FTE (intercooled) = 4.2L, 202hp @ 3400, 317ft-lb@ 1400

BTW the "E" in the FTE is for electronically controlled. All the earlier motors are mechanical in nature, and thus much less complicated.

1HD-FT + H55F + 4:1 Splitcase are going into my "HDJ45" truck...Will fine-tune the gearing and rubber-overdrive so that she is in the sweetspot for cruising at 70, yet still able to crawl with the best thanks to the splitcase reduction gears. Will let you know how she moves on the highway once she is up and running...which will likely not be for many months, and much more dinero. :sombrero:

Steve

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Christian,
All these engines are great in their own respect. If you are going to be in less developed countries where fuel quality and spare parts availability is questionable, I would favour 1HZ for pure simplicity and durability however the 1HD-T would be hard to go past. These engines are very very robust and forgiving. There is an old adage, the 1HZ will get you there in time...

On the other hand if you are somewhere where parts are not an issue, the pick of the bunch would have to be the 1HD-FTE but I would "settle" for the 1HD-FT. Many people don't understand what electronics drive the 1HD-FTE. The 1HD-FT is a multi valve with pure mechanicals and is a solid engine but was of limited availability (3 years in Australia) thus these engines are scarce and in very high demand this includes spare parts. Having owned both the 1HZ and 1HD-FTE my pick for pure driving pleasure (read torque, power and fuel efficiency) is hands down the 1HD-FTE.

One other interesting fact is that the base block for all four engines is essentially the same. The heads and internals were changed over the years. The other basic difference is that the 1HZ is an indirect injection design while the others are all direct injection engines.

Rumor has it that the 5sp manual tranny doesn't quite have the proper 5th gear for the diesel engine's happy rpm range. Evidently, that gear tends to over rev the engine a tad on the hwy.

The 1HD-FTE and 1HD-FT engines were both backed by the H151F a stout gearbox by any comparison. My 100 series is a 5 speed manual and the 5th gear is perfectly matched for this engine (cruising speed of 60 to 70 MPH).

Cheers,
P

rideglobally

Adventurer
Thank you, I know this is an old thread but very helpful. I have a 1983 hj47 with a 12ht with h55 transmission I am thinking of up grading my engine. my rig is heavy 10,000 pound when fully loaded. I use it for overland travels, so simplicity is important. I like the 1HD-FT but how complicated would 1HD-FTE for overland travel. How much modification is need to put H151 transmission on an HJ47? thx

Just leave it alone. You’ve got a great engine and transmission.
I’ve driven HJ75s, owned a FJ40 that I ended up converting to Perkins 4.236 with NP540, a BJ40 with H41, and now an OJ50 Bandeirante.
At 10000 lb I hope you’re running tires with adequate load capacity in the rear. Forget about dreams of storming up 6% grades at 100 kph with that load. The chassis isn’t designed to run at Interstate speeds with enormous overloads that only the rear springs are designed to handle.
Maybe you need 4.56 or 4.88 gears. If you travel outside North America, the lower gearing will more advantageous than an expensive marginally more powerful motor.

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
Thank you, I know this is an old thread but very helpful. I have a 1983 hj47 with a 12ht with h55 transmission I am thinking of up grading my engine. my rig is heavy 10,000 pound when fully loaded. I use it for overland travels, so simplicity is important. I like the 1HD-FT but how complicated would 1HD-FTE for overland travel. How much modification is need to put H151 transmission on an HJ47? thx
How important is economy and where are you located?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online