What's the difference?

Darton

Adventurer
Ok I see that one is cast all of one piece and the other has the base and hoop on top bolted on. But would one work just as well as the other? The weight ratings are the same.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
the more spendy one looks like a hi lift,, the other is i think the farm all, or farm jack brand.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I think both are hilifts based on the pictures although the cheaper one's large picture is blurry so you can't be sure.

Also the cast foot and top piece are better in the 2nd one than the pressed steel foot & top piece in the 1st one.

Darton

Adventurer
Thin they'd both function at the same capacity? Obviously i'd rather buy the cheaper on if it'll work as well for the few times if any that i'll use it.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that with Hi-Lifts one is stamped and one is cast.
Whichever is stronger is the more expensive - the red one.

AndrewP

Explorer
The first one appears to be the same Chinese rip-off high lift they sell even cheaper at Harbor Freight. It does not appear to be the less expensive Hi-Lift that Hi-Lift sells.

The more expensive one is a real Hi-Lift and the better "all cast" model.

There is a jack (or used to be) called a "Jack-All" that is a Canadian take on the Hi-Lift. On those, the handle is welded on, otherwise very similar to a real Hi-Lift. I have one that came with My FJ40 years ago. It still works fine.

You're only talking $30 here. If things go bad with a Hi-Lift they go very bad. I'd want the real thing, but that's just me. I certainly would not want a Chinese Hi-Lift given their tendency to use poor quality steel in all of their manufactured products.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
The first one appears to be the same Chinese rip-off high lift they sell even cheaper at Harbor Freight. It does not appear to be the less expensive Hi-Lift that Hi-Lift sells.

The more expensive one is a real Hi-Lift and the better "all cast" model.

It would appear that this is the case. Look at the second picture. Cast foot and the Hi-Lift brand name is clearly visible on the label.
Look at the first picture, stamped foot but probably not the Hi-Lift brand as the label is very fuzzy, unreadable and doesn't look the same. Deceptive marketing?

Jason T.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
It would appear that this is the case. Look at the second picture. Cast foot and the Hi-Lift brand name is clearly visible on the label.
Look at the first picture, stamped foot but probably not the Hi-Lift brand as the label is very fuzzy, unreadable and doesn't look the same. Deceptive marketing?

Jason T.

Or just a fuzzy photo of an actual hilift. :)

Maybe just give them a ring.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Removable handle.

I have owned the cheaper one before from Tractor supply. They don't last like a genuine high lift (which last indefinitely) and the 1 piece design is a major PITA. High lift handles are also particularly useful here and there.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Or just a fuzzy photo of an actual hilift. :)

Maybe just give them a ring.

So I took this advice and gave them a call. The cheaper unit is made "overseas" as they called it. When I asked about the fuzzy picture I was passed on to a supervisor. He said it was probably because they get the cheaper product from different sources.
Jason T.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Spend the extra bucks on an all cast, genuine Hi-Lift jack.

What he said. I'm not sure about the knock off but you can also rebuild a hilift using any part if needed. I've replaced the whole locking mechanism in mine (it wears out eventually especially the shear pin) and also replaced a bent main bar as well as a lost cast foot. Not sure if the parts I got from Hilift would work for the knock off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan