What's the secret to removing Toyota CV boot clamps?

Petrolburner

Explorer
There must be some sort of voodoo magic designed into these clamps, I cleaned them up pretty well and still cannot figure out how to release them short of cutting or grinding. No idea how I could do that without massacring the boot though. Any tips? It appears mine spit the CV grease awhile ago because it was all over in a radius from the boot. I installed my Bilstein 5100s yesterday and had my new tires mounted today, 285/75/16 treadwrights on the stock wheels. They rub the UCA on anything other than a gentle turn. Not sure if I need spacers or new wheels. Would really suck if I had to buy new wheels and then pay to remount and balance again. Pretty upset with myself for not doing enough research to know this was coming. Would much rather have been able to sit back and look at a job well done. Looks good anyway.

24680_615294278883_71201345_35968573_4251886_n.jpg

24680_615294313813_71201345_35968574_3438208_n.jpg

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Looks good!

What setting did you set your Bilsteins at? What's the backspacing of your rims? More than 4.5" BS will set the rim and tire to far inward and might be causing your interference with the control arm.

As far as the clamps...run down to Home Depot or Lowes...go to the plumbing section where the rubber pipe connectors/reducers are and buy the 4" stainless hose clamps. Snip off the factory clamps install the new ones and you're good to go! Check them after a couple hundred miles just to be sure and you should be set.

Rock On...:rockon:

Petrolburner

Explorer
I have factory rims, so I think that is 4 and 7/8. Tires rub the upper control arm, but nowhere else. I set them on the highest setting. I forgot to measure exactly what the height of the vehicle was before installing, but it was about 2 inches lower than the rear, and now it is about an inch and a half higher. So 3.5 inches of front end lift?

I guess I need to try harder to get the clamps off, I have new stainless clamps to put on, problem is I can't get the factory clamps off. That write up makes it look so easy though...

jim65wagon

I just used a standard set of wire cutters and carefully cut the bands without cutting the boot....it's not too hard to do.

Truck looks good with that setup....I'd be temted to do a small spacer on the front with some blue loctite on the spacer lugs.....

07 Elephant

Adventurer
Try doing what Expat did when he removed his. He does make it look easy but that's because he has mad skilz :sombrero: And several folks have used those marine clamps with good results. Other clamps have caused new problems so be careful with what clamps you use. Sharp edges are bad.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
The marine clamps are superior because they do not have a straight edge. There is a slight upward curve that prevents the edge from cutting into the rubber of your boots.

Petrolburner

Explorer
I guess I'll be taking a closer look at my plumbing clamps and maybe returning them for some marine clamps.

Anyone have any experience with the 1/4" spacers, will that give me the clearance I need. I don't need much, but I do need some.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I guess I'll be taking a closer look at my plumbing clamps and maybe returning them for some marine clamps.

Anyone have any experience with the 1/4" spacers, will that give me the clearance I need. I don't need much, but I do need some.

The plumbing clamps work just fine. It's a mod that's been around for quite awhile over on tundrasolutions. Jim's (jim65wagon) been running them on his '03 for 4 years and mine have been on for over a year with no problem. The marine clamps are nice but not mandatory. As far as spacers I don't know anybody that makes a 1/4" spacer. But then again I'm not a fan of spacers anyway.

snipecatcher

Adventurer
Uniball upper control arms should give you a bit more clearance for your tires. I've got 285/75's on stock Tacoma rims with Camburg upper control arms and have plenty of clearance. They should be a bit cheaper than new wheels, and you will not have to worry about the stock upper ball joints going out. A performance boost rather than a compromise.

sasaholic

Adventurer
wheelersoffroad sells the 1/4 inch spacers, but that leaves you with less threads in your lug nuts so install some longer studs to be safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12