Whats this series worth?

jtrnw

I come from a cruiser family and as such I have a pretty good handle on what they're worth, but with rovers I have no clue. This truck has been parked for at least the last 10 years and probably longer. It is a late series IIA 88". My guess as to the reason it was parked is the frame is toast, if the truck were to be put back on the road it would NEED replaced. The bulkhead is also a little beat, the top left corner has got some good dents to is and the footwells would need replaced. Also both windshields are cracked. The bodywork also has a decent amount of battle scars (or patina) which I wouldn't mind on my truck but wont be worth as much if its parted out. Now for the good: The truck is very complete and stock. Stock carb and air cleaner, stock seats, stock wheels, etc. It doesn't look like anything has been messed with or added to the truck. The seats are in better than average condition. The doors look like they are in good shape (little rust). The headliner looks decent. Sorry I wasn't able to get pictures, I didn't want to be snooping around to long. I know its hard to appraise a truck without seeing it put I'd like to have an idea before I ask about it. As a parts truck for another project I was thinking ~$400. Is this right? Is a land rover title worth anything be itself? If the motor turns over and has decent compression whats it worth then? The truck is located in Iowa and its only the second series I've ever seen in the area (they aren't common at all).

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I come from a cruiser family and as such I have a pretty good handle on what they're worth, but with rovers I have no clue. This truck has been parked for at least the last 10 years and probably longer. It is a late series IIA 88". My guess as to the reason it was parked is the frame is toast, if the truck were to be put back on the road it would NEED replaced. The bulkhead is also a little beat, the top left corner has got some good dents to is and the footwells would need replaced. Also both windshields are cracked. The bodywork also has a decent amount of battle scars (or patina) which I wouldn't mind on my truck but wont be worth as much if its parted out. Now for the good: The truck is very complete and stock. Stock carb and air cleaner, stock seats, stock wheels, etc. It doesn't look like anything has been messed with or added to the truck. The seats are in better than average condition. The doors look like they are in good shape (little rust). The headliner looks decent. Sorry I wasn't able to get pictures, I didn't want to be snooping around to long. I know its hard to appraise a truck without seeing it put I'd like to have an idea before I ask about it. As a parts truck for another project I was thinking ~$400. Is this right? Is a land rover title worth anything be itself? If the motor turns over and has decent compression whats it worth then? The truck is located in Iowa and its only the second series I've ever seen in the area (they aren't common at all).

Wow ... without pictures this is a hypothetic response. You are probably right on the money as far as price.
But beware my friend ... I have seen someone take a perfectly great looking Series 88 and do a frame swap, crated long block from Rover's North, repair and galvi the bulkhead, and do a complete nuts and bolts restoration, and were into that restoration for well north of $25K.

So, my suggestion is while the romantic notion of "saving" a series truck is great (I fall to that same romantic thought process), my advise is buy all the truck you can going in!

D

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
It is a slippery slope for sure. The wiper motors can fetch $400 if good finish and working. Now you start making a little money, and the addiction is terminal- ask me how I know?!
Avoid the resto temptation for sure, as it can get crazy as seen from the wiper scenario... The little bits are the $$, not the motor, etc- bulkhead yes, if decent.

jtrnw

It is a slippery slope for sure. The wiper motors can fetch $400 if good finish and working. Now you start making a little money, and the addiction is terminal- ask me how I know?!
Avoid the resto temptation for sure, as it can get crazy as seen from the wiper scenario... The little bits are the $$, not the motor, etc- bulkhead yes, if decent.

You're right about the little stuff, door rubbers, with its level of rust it prob need new brake lines, wiper motor (I didn't see one). I figured it would prob be a parts truck if anything. If the guy has a title is that worth anything? I know people will pay for cruiser titles to put on restorations and such.

LR Max

Local Oaf
$400 sounds about right. However the only problem is that this truck would be great for parts...for your already owned series vehicle...that you don't have.

A rotten chassis and rotten bulkhead are pretty much terminal unless you are looking for a project to dump a bunch of time and money into.

Practically speaking, as mentioned before, unless you are looking for a parts truck, a project, or looking to part it out to make a few $$, pass.

That said, for a project, this is an AWESOME starting point. Sounds like the body is pretty much in good shape. buy a Defender 90 chassis and running gear and put the body on it. You have a modern drivetrain that can hit the highway but still a classic. Put all new rubber and glass on it so it seals worth a darn. Heck throw some soundproofing and decent paint on it and it becomes a hit with the womenfolk.

One thing I should put in: I enjoy driving my rover...not restoring it. Repairs and other little things, that is fine but these days I'm not looking for another project. Hence my recommendation to NOT purchase this vehicle. If you love to restore cars, you'll love this one.

jtrnw

I was just going to keep it in the back of my mind as a parts truck when I do finally get a rover. While it would be great fun I don't have to money or time for a serious resto. As far as I'm concerned I'd much rather have a stock 88 than one with modern guts.

So, my suggestion is while the romantic notion of "saving" a series truck is great (I fall to that same romantic thought process)

It is so hard not to get caught up in trying to save one, that's where my mind was when I started looking at it. Sadly reality is catching up with me.

In the end I'd prob do better to find something fairly rust free that I can tinker with and get running.

jtrnw

ct95-0001.jpg

A random pic I found but its a good example of exactly what condition rover I'd like. Something that's a little beat but still solid.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I was just going to keep it in the back of my mind as a parts truck when I do finally get a rover. While it would be great fun I don't have to money or time for a serious resto. As far as I'm concerned I'd much rather have a stock 88 than one with modern guts.

It is so hard not to get caught up in trying to save one, that's where my mind was when I started looking at it. Sadly reality is catching up with me.

In the end I'd prob do better to find something fairly rust free that I can tinker with and get running.

I do like that idea. If you intend on finding a "better" truck, and need parts (anticipated), what this Series truck would do, is be a constant motivator (carrot on a stick) towards that goal.
It will also be pretty cool garage art!

D

jtrnw

I do like that idea. If you intend on finding a "better" truck, and need parts (anticipated), what this Series truck would do, is be a constant motivator (carrot on a stick) towards that goal.
It will also be pretty cool garage art!

D

Now to make space in the garage. :rolleyes: I do like that idea though.

James86004

Expedition Leader
You're right about the little stuff, door rubbers, with its level of rust it prob need new brake lines, wiper motor (I didn't see one). I figured it would prob be a parts truck if anything. If the guy has a title is that worth anything? I know people will pay for cruiser titles to put on restorations and such.

If it is a late IIA (black instrument cluster panel vs body colored) the wiper motor is behind a panel on the left side of the dash, so you would not see it. Early IIAs had wiper motors that directly drove the blades through the windscreen frame and were remarkably similar to the one on my MG TD.

Any idea what year it is?

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Well, for $400 for a complete truck it's hard to go wrong, especially if the motor runs.

If you are handy and have the space, you can look for a wrecked 88 with a fairly solid frame, maybe just needing some outrigger repair, etc, and swap everything across.

Maybe talk to ECR or RN and see if they know of a repairable frame. Sometimes people choose to go galvanized and pull a frame that is not really that bad.

Cheers

Ray

95RRC

Adventurer
Personally I would run away if you are un-prepared to spend $3-7K on "restoring" it to driver condition....If you can do ALL the work - aka chassis swap - then it would be a fun project for you...otherwise wait, buy a $7K truck you can tinker with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears