What's wth those Disco's anyways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Well at least you got the first three letters of your operational mode correct...you are operating under the *** mode..:drool:
Actually the jeep was his neighbours which he traded off for a tracked vehicle that Mr Wilkes had.. and I am FULLY aware of how Land Rover started..but thanks for the history lesson.. and it was reverse engineered/adapted to replace the farm horse as a more useful portable power source vehicle with the added bonus of being able to play on the sand..:)
And BTW..the first camel trophy was on nothing more than dirt roads...when the going got tough they needed to use something more capable..
But as I can see this is going nowhere quickly I must digress and bow to your superior knowledge and infinite wisdom oh great oracle, I am clearly out of my league and choose to bow out gracefully while I still have a modicum of pride intact.. You keep believing that Jeep is the be all to end all, its all that you guys have left to keep it alive..a false belief..but then you guys are good at that...LOL..
And it's you that needs to keep your sense of humour intact and realise that you are taking yourself wayyyy too seriously..
JEEPS RULE BABY... GIT ER DUNNN.. Y'all have a nice day..

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Opinion/experience with the Wagoneer?

I liked it. Big Oil liked it a lot. Mine was an '87 but the design was basically unchanged from the Willys/Kaiser days of '63. Dana 44s front and rear, the venerable A727 Torqueflite tranny and the big AMC 360 4v, leaf springs at all 4 corners, and a selectable range part time transfer case with a proper lever, all combined for a really well balanced platform.

My old Waggy was pretty basically modified. 2.5 inch lift, 31 inch tires, I swapped in limited slip differentials and taller gears (factory gears were 3.08s), roof rack, cargo barrier. It went anywhere I pointed it.

95913c1e.jpg

100_0284Custom.jpg

Cheers.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Well at least you got the first three letters of your operational mode correct...you are operating under the *** mode..:drool:
Actually the jeep was his neighbours which he traded off for a tracked vehicle that Mr Wilkes had.. and I am FULLY aware of how Land Rover started..but thanks for the history lesson.. and it was reverse engineered/adapted to replace the farm horse as a more useful portable power source vehicle with the added bonus of being able to play on the sand..:)
And BTW..the first camel trophy was on nothing more than dirt roads...when the going got tough they needed to use something more capable..
But as I can see this is going nowhere quickly I must digress and bow to your superior knowledge and infinite wisdom oh great oracle, I am clearly out of my league and choose to bow out gracefully while I still have a modicum of pride intact.. You keep believing that Jeep is the be all to end all, its all that you guys have left to keep it alive..a false belief..but then you guys are good at that...LOL..
And it's you that needs to keep your sense of humour intact and realise that you are taking yourself wayyyy too seriously..
JEEPS RULE BABY... GIT ER DUNNN.. Y'all have a nice day..

Your mistake is continually inferring that I am saying that a certain marque "rules". nothing could be further from the truth. I have my junk, others have theirs. It is all up to whomever to choose what they want and what they do with it within the boundaries of the laws of their respective areas of travel.

It is the archer, not the arrow.

Cheers.

ruditron

Adventurer
From what I remember from the first 1980 Camel Trophy that used Ford U50's (Jeep CJ5), The event was unsuccessful and none of the trucks finished.....
Only true Expo Transport is one of these guys--->.:26_16_2:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I could be wrong but, I believe the reason they used land rovers in the camel trophy is because Land rover sponsored it. Not because land rovers are unstoppable off road trucks.

ipgregory

Adventurer
I could be wrong but, I believe the reason they used land rovers in the camel trophy is because Land rover sponsored it. Not because land rovers are unstoppable off road trucks.

Very true, but could it not be that the reason it lasted as long as it did with LRs and was as successful as it was, may have had something to do with the LRs being.... Well, you get the picture...
:smiley_drive:

Now I think I have time to go over to the Toyota and Jeep forums and start bashing them even though I know very little about them and have nothing constructive to say, wait, no we don't do that do we? :sombrero:

ruditron

Adventurer
The first CT was mainly a German group expedition. The CT promoters turned to Land Rover when the event evolved into a multi-national event. If I had to guess the fact that Land Rover had sales in all the various countries involved in the CT played a huge part in the switch to Rover. I guess Land Cruiser's would have been an equally good choice, but certainly not Jeeps. As great as LC's and Jeeps are, and can be there is and always will be a certain "mystique" behind the old and oldish utilitarian Rover's.

"The most unreliable car in the world, is the most reliable car in the world" - Jeremy Clarkson
Semper,

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Now I think I have time to go over to the Toyota and Jeep forums and start bashing them even though I know very little about them and have nothing constructive to say, wait, no we don't do that do we? :sombrero:

Just in case you were directing that at me, I never bashed the brand. I spoke (typed) only the truth about my personal experience with my 2004 Discovery. I also posted factual information to answer another poster's comment. I will never "bash" a brand. I have said before. A person's choice is what it is and I am not going to judge someone for their choices provided they are within the boundaries of the law. If anyone has "bashed" in this thread, it surely was TRS doing it.

ipgregory

Adventurer
Just in case you were directing that at me, I never bashed the brand. I spoke (typed) only the truth about my personal experience with my 2004 Discovery. I also posted factual information to answer another poster's comment. I will never "bash" a brand. I have said before. A person's choice is what it is and I am not going to judge someone for their choices provided they are within the boundaries of the law. If anyone has "bashed" in this thread, it surely was TRS doing it.

Nope, wasn’t actually aimed at anybody in particular. More of a general, irritated comment on the fact that every time there is a discussion on buying Land Rovers or similar we end up knee deep in people who don't have one, don't want one and just want to knock them.

So as a general comment not aimed at any 1 person at this point in time. There is an *** for every seat, there is also probably a forum for the seat your sitting in, if it’s not a Land Rover and you have no intention of it being one, question why you are over here posting about how wonderful the (insert brand here) is and how terrible LRs are in the LR forum?

Better?

Ian

Douglas S.

Adventurer
I didn't bash any one particular brand...just pointed out that they are ALL inferior to land Rover....:coffee:

Based on your posts in this thread I have come to the conclusions that you're a bit of a tool.

The above conclusion has nothing do do with what I drive either. I drive my Father's TVR Range Rover on a regular basis and enjoy doing so.

That is all.

bmxer06pa

Adventurer
Go away. If you don't like land rovers that is fine, but don't come to our section and talk trash. You don't see me going over to the toyota section and throwing in my 2 cents. "don't buy a toyota their frames rot and the whole frame has to be replaced". "don't buy a toyota they instruct their techs to cut off the bottom of gas pedals so they don't stick to the floor.".

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Go away. If you don't like land rovers that is fine, but don't come to our section and talk trash. You don't see me going over to the toyota section and throwing in my 2 cents. "don't buy a toyota their frames rot and the whole frame has to be replaced". "don't buy a toyota they instruct their techs to cut off the bottom of gas pedals so they don't stick to the floor.".

Aaawwww but the difference is Toyota owns up to its mistakes and will replace the frame for free. Will land rover replace the whole truck because the whole truck is a fault? No. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78