What's your favorite budget sleeping bag for summer bikepacking?

Sisyphus

Adventurer
Hello:

I am looking to add a 40+ degree bag to my kit for summer touring and was wondering if any of you had suggestions on what and what not to buy?

Compressibility takes priority as I do not carry panniers.

Looking to spend less than $100, and am open to buying used if needed.

Thanks in advance!

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
Call me crazy, but I used an emergency bivvy sack on my last ride.. over the summer in July.
Rode from LA to Shasta..... I wasn't cold any of the nights, even while riding/camping through Tahoe n Lassen...

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Lafuma makes a few bags that are dirt cheap, mediocre quality, but do the trick on a budget. The do pack small.

This...I think I spent less than 50 bucks on my Lafuma 45degree that is more like a 55 degree...but works great for summer at low elevations...
I also use an alps fleece bag liner for really warm nights/forecasts in the desert

jdillard

Observer
You can get a Marmot Mavericks bag for under $50 from Sierra Trading Post if you have a 30% coupon. They have some Kelty ones too for a little bit more.

jdillard

Observer
That Marmot bag comes with a compression sack and looks like it would pack up to about an 8" ball. It's nothing like a $600 down bag of course - but for under $50, not bad.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
If there's one thing I never forget, it's an uncomfortable night with a crap bag. Even this last September while bikepacking with Brian McVickers in Durango, I mismanaged my "get ready for bed" sequence, got really cold, and even once in my bag never really warmed up. Sucked. Badly. Anymore, I tend to overshoot my bag rating. Or pack extra layers just in case. A fitful night's sleep can have hellish consequences the next day.

OutdoorAZ

I used my rei rebate and 20% off coupon and picked up a sierra designs Backcountry bed. If you can save up some more cash i highly recommend it. It's an awesome bag, especially if you're a side sleeper and with a compression sack it will pack down small.

Sleeping bag is one thing i definitely wouldn't cheap out on

YotaPilot

Adventurer
I'm new to bike packing, but I know backpacking when I want to go light I go with a bivy sack and sleeping pad. I think the pad is more important than the bag. It amazing how much energy the ground sucks out of you.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'm new to bike packing, but I know backpacking when I want to go light I go with a bivy sack and sleeping pad. I think the pad is more important than the bag. It amazing how much energy the ground sucks out of you.
55 degrees is my magic no-bag cutoff temperature. Anything below that and I have to have a bag, even with a bivy and insulated pad.

Flagster

Expedition Leader

Everyone sleeps differently. I am ok without a pad in warm weather but I also sleep on the floor at home...

If you want light consider this...

Two of the AZ trail 750 riders came through Flagstaff on Wed night...Jay Petervary and Aaron Denberg.
We went out to greet them and cheer them through...I was surprised at how little gear Aaron had on his bike compared with JayP. Just one small front roll and a tiny bladder. No tail or frame bag. His whole loadout had to be under 5 lbs...
I researched a bit and later found out he uses a mylar bag only for ultraracing...temps were in the 20s/30s the previous nights in Flag and on the rim...granted they don't sleep much but...brrr

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I ride with Kurt Refsnider from time to time since he's a local Prescottonian. He holds the record for the AZT 300 with a sub 48 hour time. He said he slept for roughly 20 minutes to get that time. In a more incredible feat, Jefe won the 475 mile Colorado Trail Race in I think 2013 with a time under 4 days. He said he may have slept for 2-3 hours in total. So, these guys pushing records on long courses are doing so by simply not stopping to camp....at all. They're barely taking cat naps.

Jefe said he would have suffered more distress trying to sleep for 6 hours with virtually no gear than he did just pressing on through the night. In fact, a few guys are now opting to take their short 30 minute naps at noon in full sun and warmth and then pressing through the cold hours at night when their efforts can keep them warm.

Sisyphus

Adventurer
After reading a plethora of reviews, I've decided to pony up and spend the money on a used Western Mountaineering HighLite 35 or a new Enlightened Equiptment quilt 40 (as used ones are nearly impossible to find).

Might as well pay for quality now instead of paying twice in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman