What's your favourite frying pan? Market Research

Sid Post

Observer
... sort of like eating tuna and the whole mercury thing.

Predator fish that concentrate microplastics and all sorts of industrial chemicals and metals are problems for the fish that eat them and the people who eat those fish.

Canned or Fresh Tuna once and a while probably is a very low risk for most people but, it is still a risk. Shark is not something I will eat today for similar reasons, and no I am not talking about shark fin soup!

Small fish for me are every bit as nice as big predator fish. Whether things like farmed Salmon are good or, the heavy pressure for production with antibiotics is going to be a negative factor for future consumption remains an open subject.

Ragman

I saw these recently at REI:
06d04e4e-1cda-4f82-8674-9547ee762192.jpg

They also have an 8" and I assume they'd stack really nicely. If they also had a nesting 2L pot, that might be an interesting set.

EDIT: They do have a 2-pot set that is compatible with the handles, but likely not nesting all together. https://www.rei.com/product/214274/...cepan-set-with-removable-handle-17-and-33-qts
We normally don't use nonstick, but when we do we prefer the GreenPan at home. Although most of our camp cooking is done on carbon or cast we did get our hands on the recent REI/GreenPan offering and just put up a review on our channel. Short take is that they are really nice pans and perform great. Being nonstick I would not use over a live fire but it seems a lot of folks never cook over a fire and for stove use I think these are a great option if you prefer nonstick. A couple of issues I would have preferred changed, but overall solid pans at a reasonable price.

If you want the longer version I have included my review video link here -

Bbrreenntt

Hey Everyone here, Thanks so much for your thoughtful conversation and suggestions, and for the people that completed the survey I posted, as well as the people that took that time to chat with me. I'm really excited to say that I'm going to be taking the leap into starting a business creating quality cookware specifically designed for vehicle based adventures. The first product that I'm going to bring to market is a set of carbon steel pans. There will be a 8.5" & 11" french style frying pan as well as a 11" round griddle pan. They will all be made of 14 ga carbon steel. They will be naturally seasonable and also will have a completely removable handle so the whole set will pack very compactly.

I'm really excited by this whole venture. Since beginning this journey, I've been accepted into a venture acceleration program for small business which is funded by the national research council here in Canada. With this, comes the opportunity to work with a business mentor and gives me access to a state of the art prototyping facility to help design our unique removable handle system.

Thanks again for everyones thoughts and feedback here again. If you'd like to follow along on my journey, and be the first to know how things are progressing . you can follow me @goso.cookware on IG or sign up for my mailing list at my website (a work in progress) http://www.gosocookware.com

I'd like to start another thread in this forum documenting the build process of my business, so when I do, I'll put a link to it here.

A tight community is kinda like a dinner table. I hope that we can all share this meal together!

THANK YOU! Brent

WVI

Adventurer
@Laps Have you tried it out yet?
Is the bottom truley flat and does it stay flat when heated?
I've tried a few inexpensive small cs pans and they all went back as they would wrp, no matter how slow they were heated, and non were really flat, which meant more oil required to cook with.

Laps

I've tried a few inexpensive small cs pans and they all went back as they would wrp, no matter how slow they were heated, and non were really flat, which meant more oil required to cook with.
Haven't had it on a flame source as of yet, but first thing I did was to make sure it was flat on the bottom right out of the box. It's well constructed and relatively thick, maybe even more than that of the DeBuyer carbon pan I have. I like that the walls are more vertical also compared to the DeBuyer. I'll try and use it sometime this week and report back.

Reactions: WVI

Laps

Ok, so I compared the DeBuyer and the OXO carbon steel pans. Both 10". The thickness of the OXO is 2mm and the DeBuyer is 3.5mm. The walls of the OXO are slightly more vertical. However, when cooking bacon, even though the heating distribution was equal across the bottom, the bacon grease did tend to pool away from the center slightly, so there is a small convexity. Cooking the scrambled eggs was as good as any non stick cookware I've ever owned. My impression is that this is still a very good pan and will definitely be using it while camping.

Roger M.

Adventurer
I prefer Lodge cast iron for bacon, sausages and the like, and a decent non-stick for eggs.
I like my eggs very specifically cooked, and not scrapped around a pan such that they're a total mess when they're served.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not at all partial to eating eggs out of a cast iron pan.

A decent non-stick makes perfect eggs every time ... and a Lodge cast iron does a wicked job of bacon and sausages (as well as Spam and the like!).

Ragman

Hey Everyone here, Thanks so much for your thoughtful conversation and suggestions, and for the people that completed the survey I posted, as well as the people that took that time to chat with me. I'm really excited to say that I'm going to be taking the leap into starting a business creating quality cookware specifically designed for vehicle based adventures. The first product that I'm going to bring to market is a set of carbon steel pans. There will be a 8.5" & 11" french style frying pan as well as a 11" round griddle pan. They will all be made of 14 ga carbon steel. They will be naturally seasonable and also will have a completely removable handle so the whole set will pack very compactly.

I'm really excited by this whole venture. Since beginning this journey, I've been accepted into a venture acceleration program for small business which is funded by the national research council here in Canada. With this, comes the opportunity to work with a business mentor and gives me access to a state of the art prototyping facility to help design our unique removable handle system.

Thanks again for everyones thoughts and feedback here again. If you'd like to follow along on my journey, and be the first to know how things are progressing . you can follow me @goso.cookware on IG or sign up for my mailing list at my website (a work in progress) http://www.gosocookware.com

I'd like to start another thread in this forum documenting the build process of my business, so when I do, I'll put a link to it here.

A tight community is kinda like a dinner table. I hope that we can all share this meal together!

THANK YOU! Brent
That is great news. I look forward to watching your progress on this project!

Ragman

So far I have had no warping problems with this pan. Like any pan it is possible if overheated but so far it has been rock solid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior