What's your go to blanket for camping?

eaneumann

Adventurer
For cold weather we use a Teton Sports double 0 bag, wife loves it. I'd love a couple of those rumple blankets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kerensky97

Xterra101
My down sleeping bag is usually too warm for summer so I have a wool army blanket to throw over with the sleeping bag unzipped and wide open. I like the weight of them. I also have a cheap $4 Ikea POLARVIDE blanket that is a sleeping bag liner in cold weather and a light blanket between me and the wool blanket in summer.

SnoViking

Adventurer
I picked up one of the Nemo Puffin Blankets. It's nice and warm, light weight, and packs small. I was a bit apprehensive of spending $100 on a blanket so I waited until REI had their spring sale and got it 25% off shipped for free. Even at $75 it was a bit "pricey" for me, but my wife likes it, its perfect for the RTT, and it fits under the passengerside front seat for storage when we road trip.

I reccomend it!

GHI

Adventurer
Another poncho liner fan here. I sleep hot so I'm not sure if this is the warmest thing in the bunch, but it's definitely my go to blanket. Maybe a bit small for larger folks though.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Heavy weight oversize Coleman bag, used mostly as a bottom with a comforter on top. Really cold, use the bag as a bag with the comforter over that.

I'm addicted to clean bedding and the giant washing machines at laundromats, so I've watched while every sort of bedding has fallen apart after a number of washings.

So I buy decent, but not too expensive and plan on replacing as needed.

Weeds

Adventurer
We use the Coleman fleece sleeping bag liner. The price is very reasonable. It keeps the sleeping bag clean and in warm weather it is all you need on your upper body. It probably adds 5 degrees in cold weather.

99Yota

Observer
If you go with a military style wool blanket, look for someting in 4lbs and wool blend; higher % the better- Rothco is a great brand and they've been an OE supplier for military clothing for ages.

I'm in Tampa so I'm bit warm blooded: I find that each blanket works for about 15-20 degrees so if the projected temp is going to be in the mid 50s, 1 blanket needed assuming I'm wearing a t-shirt/ shorts.
Something else worth considering is wearing a fleece with your wool blanket- like this one:
s-l500.jpg
It's part of the military cold weather gear setup and is worth about 20-25 degrees. So this fleece and 1 blanket is good down to about 43-45 degrees.

FWIW, my cold weather sleeping set consists of military surplus which I feel is the best bang-for-the-buck:
- 2 wool blankets
- 2 poncho liners
- military 4pc modular sleeping bag (advertised to -40F when used with military extreme cold weather clothing system ECWCS)
- I normally sleep in the fleece and if it is below 35F, I'll throw on a balaclava- for <$10, it's too cheap to pass up.
s-l225.jpg
If temps are going to be below 30s like in the 20s or teens, I would also consider getting some gortex gloves.

Last edited:

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I have a large Cabelas Trekker rectangular sleeping bag, it isn't a blanket but when unzipped fully it is the same shape and size as one. I use it pretty much year round, unzipped and as a blanket in mild to cool temps and zipped up and snuggled in for colder nights. I also have a very light weight rectangular bag for those warm nights..it is very compact...smaller then a roll of paper towels. If need be I can make a really comfy den for my dog with the light sleeping bag on the real cold nights. This pretty much works for us whether in the camper or in a tent.

Darrell

little_joe

Observer
Yet another fan of the military poncho liner here. Got one in the service in the 80's, still use it today. Friends, family, visitors laugh at it until they try it. It has been dubbed The Special Blanket and has even produced one marriage (but no kids).

Geodoc

Adventurer
I use a variety - a poncho liner, a Pendleton wool blanket, and now my fav - a GoSnug blanket. . While pricey, this thing is totally awesome. It's a three layer blanket, polyblend on one side, Merino wool on the other, and a layer of wool between them. Too hot? Put the polyblend side on your skin (much like a poncho liner). Too cool? Use the Merino layer on you.

762X39

Explorer
Katherine and I use a Woods Arctic weight sleeping bag opened up as a cover but it looks like we will be adding a Hudson Bay double size wool blanket like the Queen size HBC we use all winter at home. Some of our outings are in -40'C weather and the Woods bag is good but we really like our wool blankets When I am alone, I use the Woods Arctic bag and a generic European military wool blanket.. The plus side is if the blanket gets wet it still insulates...:coffee:

Last edited:

Rumblefish_Pro

Observer
What about the good ole military poncho liner or &quot;woobie&quot;

Blankets in general are all about personal preference, but I would submit that the military poncho liner is probably a really good contender for a go to blanket. These tough durable blankets are top notch and cost a lot less than the competitors.

http://taskandpurpose.com/why-the-woobie-is-the-greatest-military-invention-ever-fielded/

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=military+surplus+poncho+liner&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=118365136358&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2115394685006272825&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_61ilq6arpt_b_p13

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger