What's your MPG?

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
I bought an '01 king cab 4x4, 3.3 V6, MT for my son last year. It currently has 117xxx on the odometer. We just had new injectors, fuel regulator and a fuel pump installed. The truck seems to be getting 13.5MPG. It's driving great now. I don't know what it was getting before the repairs. I drove the truck for a week and went through about a half a tank of gas in it. I hand calculated that mileage. The driving was 50/50 city/Hwy. Is this all that I should be expecting to get out of this truck? The trucks is stock, running Cooper AT3's. What are you getting?

Allof75

Pathfinder
Hand calculated with mainly city driving is usually 12.5 to 13 mpg. All highway, I've had as high as 23 but usually somewhere around 19. Mixed about 16.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I have an Xterra not a frontier, but its a 2001 and the same engine, here are my fuelly stats. I havnet updated in awhile but I am getting over 16 mpg average, and 18/19 hwy.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/2001xterra/xterra

Here is Co-opski's truck 2000 frontier) who is also on this site

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/d22/frontier

we are getting basically the exact same mileage. If the 50/50 mix is a lot of stop and go I can see it being low, but these trucks should average above 15 all day with a mix between hwy and city

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
I have an Xterra not a frontier, but its a 2001 and the same engine, here are my fuelly stats. I havnet updated in awhile but I am getting over 16 mpg average, and 18/19 hwy.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/2001xterra/xterra

Here is Co-opski's truck 2000 frontier) who is also on this site

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/d22/frontier

we are getting basically the exact same mileage. If the 50/50 mix is a lot of stop and go I can see it being low, but these trucks should average above 15 all day with a mix between hwy and city
I was thinking the same thing, that it should be doing in the 15-16MPG range combined.

Hand calculated with mainly city driving is usually 12.5 to 13 mpg. All highway, I've had as high as 23 but usually somewhere around 19. Mixed about 16.
Are you guys running bigger tires? Lifts? Etc?
I've had to put a ton of money into this thing, since we bought it last year. I don't know if it's time to let it go or not. I like the truck, and it's finally running good, but wow, this seems really low.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
My Xterra is lifted about an inch or so, and I am running 235/85R16 tires, which are about 31.5" and taller than the stock size, especially for 2000/2001.

Are your tires stock size? if they are larger you will have to correct your odometer, the miles will read lower on the truck than you are actually travelling, giving you an artificially low fuel consumption.

Not sure if the 2001 Frontiers came supercharged? The knock sensors are notorious for going bad on all versions of the VG33 but it really hampers the supercharged, and will affect mileage for both.

Also maybe bad O2 sensors, or exhausts leaks could all lead to bad mileage.

I would suggest doing a good steady straight run on a freeway somewhere to check out what you are getting straight highway.

~13 MPG is about right for a lot of city driving.

bushnut

Adventurer
I've got a 2000 pathfinder with the same VG33 engine. when I bought it a year ago I was only getting about 300km of city driving to a tank of fuel. After cleaning the MAF, new air filter, spark plugs, regular oil changes and a couple bottles of "tune up in a can" I am now getting 400km/tank (roughly 250miles) of city and around 500km hyw.
BTW I don't have a heavy right foot.

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
My Xterra is lifted about an inch or so, and I am running 235/85R16 tires, which are about 31.5" and taller than the stock size, especially for 2000/2001.

Are your tires stock size? if they are larger you will have to correct your odometer, the miles will read lower on the truck than you are actually travelling, giving you an artificially low fuel consumption.

Not sure if the 2001 Frontiers came supercharged? The knock sensors are notorious for going bad on all versions of the VG33 but it really hampers the supercharged, and will affect mileage for both.

Also maybe bad O2 sensors, or exhausts leaks could all lead to bad mileage.

I would suggest doing a good steady straight run on a freeway somewhere to check out what you are getting straight highway.

~13 MPG is about right for a lot of city driving.

I'm running 265 70R16's, this is the stock size from the factory.

No supercharger, dangit.

It's actually running really strong right now. You see I've had to put about $6000 in her over the last 18 months...UGH. Replaced the exhaust manifolds, left and right, multiple sensors, distributor, fuel injectors, fuel regulator and fuel pump and the list could go on. Some of the repairs were for things like tires, clutch, things that are going to regularly wear out, but I'm really fed up with spending money on this thing. It looked so nice when I bought it. You just never know when you buy something used. If she's getting about what everyone else is getting then maybe I'll keep her awhile. I'd hate to get rid of her after dropping all of that dough into her.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I'm running 265 70R16's, this is the stock size from the factory.

No supercharger, dangit.

It's actually running really strong right now. You see I've had to put about $6000 in her over the last 18 months...UGH. Replaced the exhaust manifolds, left and right, multiple sensors, distributor, fuel injectors, fuel regulator and fuel pump and the list could go on. Some of the repairs were for things like tires, clutch, things that are going to regularly wear out, but I'm really fed up with spending money on this thing. It looked so nice when I bought it. You just never know when you buy something used. If she's getting about what everyone else is getting then maybe I'll keep her awhile. I'd hate to get rid of her after dropping all of that dough into her.

It sounds like you are in the ballpark anyways, maybe try some seafoam? clears up carbon deposits and other stuff inside the engine, its only $10 and it couldn't hurt to do anyway

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
It sounds like you are in the ballpark anyways, maybe try some seafoam? clears up carbon deposits and other stuff inside the engine, its only $10 and it couldn't hurt to do anyway

I guess that's good and bad. She's doing what's she supposed to, but I sure thought I'd be getting a lot better mileage out of her.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I guess that's good and bad. She's doing what's she supposed to, but I sure thought I'd be getting a lot better mileage out of her.

I hear ya. Its kinda sad when a midsize truck/suv with a small V6 gets noticeably worse mileage than a fullsize or even heavy duty truck with a V8 and double the power.

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
I hear ya. Its kinda sad when a midsize truck/suv with a small V6 gets noticeably worse mileage than a fullsize or even heavy duty truck with a V8 and double the power.

Yeah, my truck is an '02 Silverado with the Duramax. I have power coming out my ears and I get a combined mileage of 16MPG. I wish all cars were diesel!

Well, paying the extra in fuel is still cheaper than a payment. As long as I got rid of all the little gremlins.

Thanks for the help.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
07 Xterra 6spd. I'm getting about 15mpg, but then again I'm running 33's (Goodyear MT/Rs, so they're a bit sticky), I've got Hefty bumpers front and rear, a winch, a full set of skids and sliders. 2" lift to boot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger