Wheel Adapter Strength Validation

OregonLC

Observer
My plan was to run 35s on my CDN M101 to have a common wheel/tire set with the truck. To do so I'd needed to run 5x150 adapters. I found an online source and had some made. They adapt from 5x5-1/2 to 5x150 and are 1-1/2" thick.

My concern is that there isn't very much meat holding the wheel studs in, especially considering the leverage arm from a 35. Granted the max trailer weight would be around 1300 lbs, but it also could have significant side loads on a trail. And if the adapters go you're hosed.

Here are some pics... any input? The bore for the studs appears to be 1-1/8" (it's 7/8" to the stud head which I'm assuming is about 1/4"). That leaves only 3/8" of material for the stud. That alone is probably OK. The bigger concern is at the rim of the bore. Inboard it's only 50 mils! And outboard it's just over 1/8". It just doesn't seem sufficiently robust to me. I think they needed to use a different size of blank to make this adapter. Thoughts?

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

OregonLC

Observer
Yes, the concern is the strength of the adapters. I'm concerned with 35s that the lugs are at risk of fracturing the rim of the adapter under load.

Regarding new hubs, that's certainly an option. I spent quite a bit of time looking for 5x150 3500lbs hubs and couldn't find any. My solution was to run 5x5-1/2" and adapt. The adapter has the added advantage of widening the track for improved stability, although that's not the primary goal.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
It is on a utility trailer, not a vehicle wheel under power. I think you are over-analyzing it and needlessly concerned. As a discussion item have at it but I wouldn't throw more money at it.

OregonLC

Observer
You're completely correct about the total load on the component being less than a driven or steering wheel. My guess is like yours that in this application it would 'probably' work just fine.

While the risk may be low, I'd also be pretty screwed if they were to fail in the middle of nowhere on a trail or if I were to lose a wheel on the highway at speed. Aside from a ruined trip and the need to recover the trailer the 5x150 isn't a common size and would mean either new wheels/tires or waiting for a custom part. The metal is thin enough that I feel like I should bounce it off the group to see if anyone has specific experience that would give assurance either way.

So on this one I'm okay with perhaps a bit of zealous over-analyzation. :)

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I can't attest to the strength of the adapters you have, but, I have a set at the shop that are 5 on 5 to 5 on 150mm and there is 3/8" of an inch of material between the bore and the edge on the back side, and over 1/2" between the edge and the threads on the studs at the front.

The problem would seem to be whoever manufactured the adapters skimped on the aluminum round they formed the adapters from. When you get up to a 150mm PCD most manufactures don't keep big enough diameter aluminum in stock.

Metric hubs are not available in North America, so adapters are the only option.

OregonLC

Observer
Thanks Martyn. Do you sell the adapters you speak of? Or do you have a source you could point me to? I'm replacing the hubs anyway so a 5x5 to 5x150 would work just as well. The only reason I ordered 5x5-1/2" adapters was to maximize the strength of the system.

I have spacers on the 100 that also have about 1/2" of material at the rim which is one reason I was surprised to see how skinny these were.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Thanks Martyn. Do you sell the adapters you speak of? Or do you have a source you could point me to? I'm replacing the hubs anyway so a 5x5 to 5x150 would work just as well. The only reason I ordered 5x5-1/2" adapters was to maximize the strength of the system.

I have spacers on the 100 that also have about 1/2" of material at the rim which is one reason I was surprised to see how skinny these were.

We have a set at the shop that are 5 on 5 to 5 on 150 with 14mm studs. They are 2 1/4" thick with a center bore of 3.15". Normally we charge $275.00 per set, I can let you have these for $225.00 plus shipping.

If you need a different thickness I can e mail you a quote

JamesC

Adventurer
I think Martyn at AT has the adapters you want but I went through this same problem. The only hubs I could find in 5x150 were in Australia and even then the vendor was not responsive. We converted an m1101 to electric brakes and 6 x 5.5 hubs. I used 6 x 5.5 to 5 x 150 adapters from there which have worked well on the trail:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009N3JTQQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Running Rock Warriors with 34x10.50s. Like you we are not hauling heavy loads but I did like the construction of the above components.

OregonLC

Observer
After almost three months finally got the vendor to send correctly manufactured adapters. This after being sworn at on the phone and hung up on. How some people can remain in business is beyond me. Avoid EZAccessory.com at all cost...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12