Wheel and tire weight - Should I worry about it?

4wheeldrivevan

Observer
I've got a "new-to-me" 2004 Chevy Express AWD that I'm starting to tinker with and I'm wondering how much difference rotating mass/unsprung weight really makes.
I know it's important for race cars, but does it make any noticeable difference in our lumbering behemoths?

tirerack.com allows you to sort wheels by weight. The lowest weight wheels available for my van are 19 lbs each. The Method rims I was considering are 27 lbs each. That's a difference of 8 lbs each or 32 LB total.
Similar weight reductions can be found by selecting lower weight rubber. The lightest tires (31's) Tirerack.com has are the Wrangler Trail Runners at 36 lbs each while most of the other tires I'm interested in are in the 40lb - 50lb category. This is a difference of 5+ lbs per tire, 20lb or more difference for 4 tires.

So in total by going light I can save over 50lbs of rotating mass. Is it worthwhile? Is it a difference that I would notice when I stomp my foot down on the accelerator or brake pedal?
Would it change fuel mileage enough to be worthwhile?
Or should I just go with strong heavy rims and big heavy AT tires?

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Lighter is fine as long as the strength is still there, but don't exceed the factory weight because the stock suspension could be negatively affected

Nesquik

Observer
Unless for some reason you need to go after every last bit of performance you can find, or attain the best possible MPG, I wouldn’t worry about it. It would likely make a difference, but I’d just buy whatever wheels and tires you want and live with whatever that gets you.

86scotty

Cynic
Agreed ^^ OP, you said right with 'does it really make a difference with these lumbering behemoths'. I don't think it does.

Scotty D

I went from a tire that people raved about as a hypermiling tire to BFG KO2s and I definitely felt a drop in economy.
So worth it though , these KO2 are bullet proof. Beat the crap out of them all over baja this winter and they never complained.

Nesquik

Observer
I went from a tire that people raved about as a hypermiling tire to BFG KO2s and I definitely felt a drop in economy.
So worth it though , these KO2 are bullet proof. Beat the crap out of them all over baja this winter and they never complained.
Plus they are effing awesome and make you happy.

Few things on earth are cooler than big meaty heavy tires on a van

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears