Wheel spacers on medium duty trucks

gator70

I hate the thought of this discussion. As a 11,000 lb weight caring axle is dangerous with any Frankenstein modification.

Now when I look at the OEM exploded engineering diagrams of front and rear axles I see stuff that is similar in engineering to some sort of width adjusting spacer.

Look at how some hubs attach to disc brake disks designed from the factory.

Chime in please

yabanja

Explorer
Wheel spacers can be quite dangerous. In car racing the only way I will use them is if they are hub centric on both the car and the wheel, and the studs are extra long and go through the spacer and the wheel to be bolted together by the lug nuts.

That having been said. The extreme offset of the wheels on medium duty trucks-particularly with larger super singles combined with the weight makes the equation quite different due to the extreme forces this causes. Then there is the additional factor of only five or six lug bolts. Likely in many jurisdictions using spacers on these vehicles is illegal. I would check you local laws. In any case, I would not advise the use of spacers on these trucks.

Allan

Reactions: mog

gator70

I guess the word spacer is misleading. What I meant to say is a bolt pattern that is swapped from one to another and the wheel is spaced away from the brake disk. Examples from the factory shown.

Attachments

• hub.JPG
    hub.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 9
  • hub2.JPG
    hub2.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan