wheels for 40" Toyo MT

sideburnie

So, I keep coming back to this, and I feel like I just must be missing some set of products out there.

I've had Toyo MT's on several rigs and I love them. I'd like to put a set of 40" toyos on my next rig. I'd also like to use all of the rear axle weight rating which will probably be about 9k lbs.

Toyo makes a 40x15.5R20 with a 4190lb weight rating. Great! Suggested rim width for that tire is 12". The highest weight rating wheel that I've found for that size (20 x 12 +/-1) is 3640lbs.

Method is the only off-road specific wheel that I've found that produces a HD wheel which has a weight rating of 4500lbs. Perfect! However the largest HD wheel they produce is an 18x9 (or a slightly smaller 17x8.5).

In those wheel sizes the largest HD Toyo MT is a 37x13.5R17 with a 4300lb weight rating. (a good match for the HD method!)

But I'd really like to run a 40!

There are 20 x 10" military wheels, but I've only just learned this last year that the bead is different (and that there are actually 3 different bead sizes to deal with in the 40-ish inch range of tires).

Ideally I'd like to just stick with a "beadgrip" method (wheel) (or a nice reputable beadlock) but I can't find anything that will fit a Toyo (or Nitto for that matter) 40" tire and also support more than 3600lbs! What gives!

How does Toyo produce this (awesome) tire and nobody makes a wheel for it???

sideburnie

If I'm going to get into custom-made wheel territory, I'll just spend the money and deal with the hassle of military tires and get some billet Wehring super singles. Just doing the cost-per-mile calculations on any military-ish tires other than the continentals is just really painful. And I want to make sure there isn't something I'm missing that's more off-the-shelf.

sideburnie

Idk why no one here runs TrailReady wheels but theirs are fantastic and available in custom sizes.
I had looked at them in the past and I'm not finding my notes. Called (because they don't list weight ratings) and talked with Jim (thanks Jim!) who was super helpful. They have a 20 x 9.5 and a beadlock and a 17 x 8.5 beadlock. Both have a weight rating of about 3800lbs. This puts me right around where I am with the methods.

He did tell me that they are actually owned by Buckstop (who I'm familiar with) and that they make a 20x11 forged non beadlock that has a 7000lb weight rating. He told me that they can mill down the lip to make them work with an LT tire if desired (probably not for me). I guess the MPT bead is only taller and not wider (something that surprised me).

sideburnie

On second thought, I think I need to be less flippant about dismissing the buckstop MPT to LT bead conversion. I'm going to try and learn the technical detail behind the two beads. A forged 20x11 with a 7k weight rating would fit the bill for the 40x15.5R20 Toyos. It's just a bummer it's not a beadlock or "beadgrip", etc.

sideburnie

ok, maybe i suck at searching(?), but I'm finding staggeringly little info on the technical detail of the LT vs MPT bead.

danneskjold

If you can get away with the weight rating of the Toyo and don't need the MPT81 weight then I would absolutely avoid the MPT81 at all costs.

I have successfully (read: a tire shop did it for me) an LT tire on a 1st Attack super single wheel, so I am not quite sure what the issue is but if Buckstop is willing to mill their wheel down to make it fit better then that seems like a no brainer to me.

andy_b

On second thought, I think I need to be less flippant about dismissing the buckstop MPT to LT bead conversion. I'm going to try and learn the technical detail behind the two beads. A forged 20x11 with a 7k weight rating would fit the bill for the 40x15.5R20 Toyos. It's just a bummer it's not a beadlock or "beadgrip", etc.

TrailReady should be able to make a beadlock with either bead profile. I remember that was one of the questions in the order process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior