Wheels for a 2012 Tacoma Sport light overland rig?

Lazzer

I've been looking into getting new tires for my truck, and as it is still fairly new (only 43 thousand kilometers on it) it still has the stock H/Ts on it. Great for fuel efficiency but terrible when I got muddy and hit some snow covered trails. I have my tires narrowed down quite a bit, but the wheels I'm still unsure on. This truck is still going to be my daily driver, so aesthetics are somewhat important, but I find myself more function over form. Anyone have any recommendations on a 16 or 17 inch wheel and any brands to look for?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
What's wrong with your stock wheels? Just looking to make a change? Stock wheels are usually very strong, and reasonably light. If you go aftermarket, you're going to have to spend some big money to get good quality wheels. I actually just put stock Tacoma wheels on my 4Runner. I would buy the tires you want and put them on the factory wheels, then put the wheel cash into suspension, or lighting, or, or, or.

If you haven't looked at Cooper ST Maxx tires, I'd give them a look. They are fantastic in our western Canadian climate, and very quiet and smooth on the highway.

Arktikos

Explorer
What's wrong with your stock wheels? Just looking to make a change? Stock wheels are usually very strong, and reasonably light. If you go aftermarket, you're going to have to spend some big money to get good quality wheels. I actually just put stock Tacoma wheels on my 4Runner. I would buy the tires you want and put them on the factory wheels, then put the wheel cash into suspension, or lighting, or, or, or.

If you haven't looked at Cooper ST Maxx tires, I'd give them a look. They are fantastic in our western Canadian climate, and very quiet and smooth on the highway.

What he said. ^ :)

Clutch

<---Pass
Could buy an extra set of wheels & tires for offroad trips. Makes your dailies and the speciality tires last longer. At least that is what I do, have a set daily road tires and a set of mud tires for back country, going to add snow tires for next winter season too. Even though my road tires are severe rated, found their ice performance only "ok"

Would get stock pulloffs from craigslist, or steelies from a salvage yard. Something you can beat on and not mind it if they get damaged.

JLee

Adventurer
I'm a fan of OEM unless you need different width or offset.

FN FX Pro wheels are pretty slick, though.

Kiriesh

Adventurer
I will be the first to say that buying aftermarket wheels unless you need a lower backspacing for larger tires is a waste, that being said I love the look of my procomps:

EelOG3h.jpg

Yes they're fake beads, but I wanted something that I liked the appearance of so whatever.

Lazzer

I've just always been told that the stock wheels were best to sticking in the road and if I wanted to go anywhere moderately serious to go to a 16 inch wheel that I don't care about

Lazzer

Heard anything about duratracs? I've got a friend with a Silverado and he said he loves them, I've also considered the geolandars. Just trying to budget a lift in because I have very little idea about decent lifts for a daily and overland vehicle

Clutch

<---Pass
I've just always been told that the stock wheels were best to sticking in the road and if I wanted to go anywhere moderately serious to go to a 16 inch wheel that I don't care about

Difference is you'll have a little less sidewall, with a 17" rim over a 16", so it is negligible.

Lazzer

Difference is you'll have a little less sidewall, with a 17" rim over a 16", so it is negligible.

I'm still planning on upsizing my tire to the 265/70/17, over the 265/65/17 to get that little bit extra ground clearance and tire height

I really like my FN wheels. Seeing as how you put kilometers, I don't know about shipping to Canada (or outside the US). I do really like my FN Countersteer Type X wheels. They are insanely light (20 pounds per wheel) and very high quality. They have better backspacing as well.

pixXgxV.jpg

19E4JDe.jpg

Lazzer

I really like my FN wheels. Seeing as how you put kilometers, I don't know about shipping to Canada (or outside the US). I do really like my FN Countersteer Type X wheels. They are insanely light (20 pounds per wheel) and very high quality. They have better backspacing as well.

pixXgxV.jpg

19E4JDe.jpg

Those look awesome! Like the look of your rig too!

lugueto

Adventurer
If you're going to go to 265/70R17, its only an inch taller and its still only a 32in tire. So it sounds like your intended setup and use (judging by your setup) is too mild to worry about that extra sidewall.

If you want to change wheels for looks, then knock yourself out! If you want to gain sidewall height for offroad performance, its so negligible i'd stay with the stockers.

Lazzer

If you're going to go to 265/70R17, its only an inch taller and its still only a 32in tire. So it sounds like your intended setup and use (judging by your setup) is too mild to worry about that extra sidewall.

If you want to change wheels for looks, then knock yourself out! If you want to gain sidewall height for offroad performance, its so negligible i'd stay with the stockers.

Yeah that's probably the way it's gonna be until I decide on a suspension setup. Just really feeling like I need some extra traction first before I get anything too big

rft

Heard anything about duratracs? I've got a friend with a Silverado and he said he loves them, I've also considered the geolandars. Just trying to budget a lift in because I have very little idea about decent lifts for a daily and overland vehicle

Yep I've run Duratracs on work trucks (F-250 and Silverado 1500) and my Tacoma. I love them, they've got great traction in on the gravel and in the snow, plus they're pretty good at getting you through the mud. I also had a lot of luck with them for puncture resistance too, I was running them for an entire summer on bush roads with <25% tread and no flats.

Yeah that's probably the way it's gonna be until I decide on a suspension setup. Just really feeling like I need some extra traction first before I get anything too big

If you're looking at 17's you might consider LT255/75R17s which I've heard will fit (just barely) on a stock Tacoma. If you're thinking about upgrading after you lift anyways, these would be a cheap option because you could find some Jeep Rubicon BFG KM take-offs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears