Wheels for a 2012 Tacoma Sport light overland rig?

Fundillo

When I put 275/70/17 on my stock Sport wheels it rubbed on my upper control arm slightly

I went to aftermarket wheels to gain space for wider tires (although I had to do a cab mount chop as to not rub at that point)

Lazzer

Yep I've run Duratracs on work trucks (F-250 and Silverado 1500) and my Tacoma. I love them, they've got great traction in on the gravel and in the snow, plus they're pretty good at getting you through the mud. I also had a lot of luck with them for puncture resistance too, I was running them for an entire summer on bush roads with <25% tread and no flats.

If you're looking at 17's you might consider LT255/75R17s which I've heard will fit (just barely) on a stock Tacoma. If you're thinking about upgrading after you lift anyways, these would be a cheap option because you could find some Jeep Rubicon BFG KM take-offs.

Any remarkable differences with a narrower tire vs. a wider tire? A lot of my friends are stuck in the "wide tires are better" groove

JLee

Adventurer
They believe that it gives better traction in the snow and mud. They also just like the look of the wider tires mostly. Have one friend that works in a tire shop that recommended wider

For deep snow and deep mud, yes (if you're trying to float). In most situations, narrow is better for snow because you cut down to the ground where there's more grip.

I'm a fan of 255/75R17. Tall and skinny is best, IMO -- plus lighter tires are easier on the vehicle in general.

Lazzer

For deep snow and deep mud, yes (if you're trying to float). In most situations, narrow is better for snow because you cut down to the ground where there's more grip.

I'm a fan of 255/75R17. Tall and skinny is best, IMO -- plus lighter tires are easier on the vehicle in general.

I've heard that, is there any shops that do a Speedo recalibration? I'm thinking this is the route I'm going to go. Is it easy to find tires in the LT form so I can throw a bunch of weight in the bed once I get the new suspension?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I've heard that, is there any shops that do a Speedo recalibration? I'm thinking this is the route I'm going to go. Is it easy to find tires in the LT form so I can throw a bunch of weight in the bed once I get the new suspension?

You can do a speedo recalibration, but it's just as easy to figure out how much you're off by and just adjust mentally. LT is 90% or more of the 17" AT or MT tire market. You'll have no trouble finding tires. 255/75 is a slightly oddball size, but there are choices in 255/80 etc.

Lazzer

You can do a speedo recalibration, but it's just as easy to figure out how much you're off by and just adjust mentally. LT is 90% or more of the 17" AT or MT tire market. You'll have no trouble finding tires. 255/75 is a slightly oddball size, but there are choices in 255/80 etc.

It looks like yokohama has the geolandars in a 255/75 size, would I get more use out of something like a falken, duratrac, ST maxx, grabber x3 or KO2, if I could get them in a similar size?

Roc Doc

Heard anything about duratracs? I've got a friend with a Silverado and he said he loves them, I've also considered the geolandars. Just trying to budget a lift in because I have very little idea about decent lifts for a daily and overland vehicle

I had them on my FZJ 80 and their 'square' tread-to-sidewall ratio made them very good in the snow. Quiet on the street. Don't know about durability as I only had them about 6k before selling the rig.aP1050358.jpg

Roc Doc

Difference is you'll have a little less sidewall, with a 17" rim over a 16", so it is negligible.

The other thing to consider is the extra weight of a 17" tire/wheel setup over an equivelent 16" combo. Rotating/unsprung mass is very important to keep to a minimum. Porsche engineers figure 1lb saved in rotating mass, = roughly 7lbs of sprung mass.

Lazzer

So far the leaders for me are the cooper st maxx, duratracs, falken at3, and k02s. I'm also considering the geolandars but I haven't heard as much about them in my area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears