When you put up your tent wet does the mattress get wet?

Tucke

I have been looking all over but can't find a review of putting up the tent in the rain. Everyone posts how to in beautiful weather. When you put it up wet what is it like the next night? Wet mattress or sleeping bags?

TheFutur

Adventurer
I spent 3 weeks living in mine and broke it down and set it up plenty of times in the rain or put it away covered in dew.

Near the end it did start to feel a bit more "humid" in the tent, but that was fixed once we decided to have a later start and let the tent air out and dry one morning in the sun.

Over the course of a long weekend it is not an issue at all, over the course of weeks it does start to feel a bit "humid"

For reference I own a Tepui Kukenam.

Finlay

Triarius
Putting the tent up won't result in any real wetness inside the tent. They pop open in like 15 seconds.

Putting it away wet will result in a wet mattress, however. It's not soaking wet or anything - the tent fabric only holds so much moisture anyway - but it will be wet. You'll want an hour or more to air out the next night, if you can swing it.

I usually try to wait for a break in the rain, or a let up and then put it away as dry as I can - shaking sides, and whatnot. I've thought about maybe laying out some trash bags to isolate the wet tent fabric from the mattress, but haven't gotten around to trying it out. Out of the 100 or so nights I've been in the tent, rainy mornings have been maybe 10 of them.

It's the downside of having a mattress in your tent. It's a manageable downside, though.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
If I put up a ground tent in the rain, normally only the outside gets wet.
I bring the cot(s) and mattress(s) inside in carry bags and they stay dry (close the door during setup).
I carry the sleeping bags in military (rubberized) wet weather bags so they stay dry (even in a topless Jeep during rain and snow).... I get wet though.
Enjoy!

TheFutur

Adventurer
Another thing i should mention is that it is more than likely condensation was the reason my tent started to feel humid, currently waiting on a condensation matt to see if that fixes it.

Dragos28

Adventurer
how about those flaps where the hinges are... ever get any water or drafts trough them?
mine being the Gran Sabana, it also has two more openings where the awning hoop attaches to.

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
No. I've put my tent away soaking wet and climbed in it the next day and it's still dry inside.

The only time I ever had water intrusion was during a tropical storm with 45 mph winds and inches of rain. Even then, it wasn't that bad, only pushing water through the seams on the edges. Sleeping bags stayed dry.

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
I have a Tepui Autana and I've never have a problem with rain. I will say if it does get damp or moist inside it won't be anymore then what your body condensates during the night. If dampness is an issue or I'm in cold climate and need to dry my tent out I just put my Mr Buddy in the tent and crank it up. It'll get above 70 inside even if it's below 30 out.

whatevah

Observer
It rained two nights in a row when I was in the Grand Teton and Yellowstone NPs this fall... you'll get condensation on the tent walls but nothing major. Like others have said, give it an hour or two to air out and you should be good. Of course, always open up your tent when you finish the trip to dry the walls and everything, don't want to have a moldy tent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12