where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Wow Eurowise, thanks for all the drool-worthy 955/957 and Treg pics. Who knew there was such fandom in the SE?
No 958's yet--I guess no one wants to take a saw to one. ;)
Your skid plate and such; site doesn't state which generations it fits. I assume 955/957.

One disadvantage to buying a manual is if the previous owner rode the clutch and it's at the end of its life. Could an auto be abused too? Yes, but much less likely.
I see advantages to diesel and manual, but VR6 gas and manual? Unique (few here in the USA) but I'm not sure if the gearing is where you'd want it...all depends on the level of offroad you're taking it. Personally I love my 958 CTT with auto and Sport steering wheel(paddle shifters). Point and go, focus on the trail more than my footwork.

I have a 2013 Cayenne with a manual transmission. The first gear is not low enough for any steep or crawly off road use.

marcantoine77

Observer
Very good news for Cayenne 958 owners in Switzerland and USA

Porsche extends transfer case warranty to 10 years .

My transfer case broke down at about 77'000km. V8 S Diesel

Envoyé de mon SM-N986B en utilisant Tapatalk

Cayenne-958-TDI

I have a 2013 Cayenne with a manual transmission. The first gear is not low enough for any steep or crawly off road use.
Mike, we are considering a relocation to the Big Bend area. Looking for repair shops for the diesel and our RSA to do what is beyond what I would want to tackle. Saw Redline Racing in El Paso, and Littlefield in Midland - where would you recommend? -- Thanks,

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Mike, we are considering a relocation to the Big Bend area. Looking for repair shops for the diesel and our RSA to do what is beyond what I would want to tackle. Saw Redline Racing in El Paso, and Littlefield in Midland - where would you recommend? -- Thanks,

I have not used Redline racing. I've not had any issues with my car in 120,000 miles. There is a dealer in town now. I use Tinkertoy Automotive when I need a service.

Last edited:

ZREM

Observer
What's up Porsche people. I've been eyeing the idea of an 08+ 1st gen Cayenne for a little bit now, would love to hear any thoughts you have about it fitting my needs.

Current rig is a '98 Landcruiser (100 Series) that has a pretty typical overland build (bumpers, winch, armor, roof rack, rear locker) and is on 33's. It's got 190k on the clock, and runs fine. It gets daily driver duty 60% of the time, the other 40% goes to my S4. When out camping I tow a 3500# Jayco camper, and I do take the Cruiser out on off-road trails all around Colorado on a regular basis. A typical trip involves towing that camper over high mountains passes, then running a fun trail or two wherever we are. I don't run any crazy tough trails, things like Imogene Pass are about as hard as I tackle on purpose. I have 2 kids and 100# dog.

The kids are old enough (6 &10) that they don't need too much crap to keep them happy, and almost all of the camping gear goes in the camper, so I'm not super concerned about space.

I love the idea of an off-road Cayenne, and having a rig that's more engaging on road, knowing that I will sacrifice some off road performance. So here are some questions:

• How does the Cayenne tow? I would be looking at the "S" models only.
  • How does the Cayenne react to a lift/larger tires? With 33's does that 380hp V8 still feel sufficient? Is the ride quality still good with a lift?
  • Is there a good reason to find one with air suspension?
  • Any other thoughts you have for someone considering moving from a Landcruiser?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Mr. Merk

• How does the Cayenne tow? I would be looking at the "S" models only.

• Is there a good reason to find one with air suspension?

They tow awesome. We tow a 25' trailer with ours. Handles mountain roads with ease. I think the air suspension has a lot to do with it.
69478885_2577368868990943_5544124874382901248_o.jpg

41073086_1966122956782207_5125949382222413824_n.jpg

Cayenne-958-TDI

They tow awesome. We tow a 25' trailer with ours. Handles mountain roads with ease. I think the air suspension has a lot to do with it.

We have thought of getting a trailer to use to tour for a potential upcoming move - a bit over 2,000 miles direct with many side trips. Last time we did the drive it was 6,500 miles, this time probably longer in length and time. For us this would be changing to driving paved surfaces when the trailer is connected.
Fully loaded do you know the total weight and tongue weight of your Airstream?
Have considered an Airstream but concerned if the newer ones quality match their reputation.
Being a couple with a large dog do you have any recommendations as to model / configuration?
Thanks,

Mr. Merk

Fully loaded do you know the total weight and tongue weight of your Airstream?
Have considered an Airstream but concerned if the newer ones quality match their reputation.
Being a couple with a large dog do you have any recommendations as to model / configuration?
Thanks,

I downloaded the CAT scales app as there is a truck stop 5 minutes from our place with CAT scales. I pull up and weigh normally and then I'll un hitch making sure the tongue jack is on the trailer pad and the Cayenne is on the front & rear axle pads. I just subtract the difference in rear axle weight to determine tongue weight.

I'm a huge fan of the 22FB and 23FB open floor plans. The 22FB is narrower and lighter, and you can get it in the Caravel design which is quite attractive. That's the one I would buy if I was getting a new one.

I've heard the newer models aren't as good, but they also have the newer tech that everyone ends up adding like solar and lithium batteries.

We don't travel with our great dane anymore, just one or two of our small dogs so the 25FB floor plan works for us.

TyScot

Hi there, I don't have an airstream but I do pull a 27ft (tongue to bumper) trailer with my 2010 Touareg tdi. It weighs in at abut 5400-5500 loaded with a tongue weight of just over 770 which is the max. I do use a weight distributing hitch as mine doesn't have the air suspension which I don't believe you can use if you have air. I can say it pulls it just fine and handles just fine with the trailer behind. I wouldn't recommend anything over about 28ft total as then you'd want something with a longer wheel base as a pull vehicle.

Also watch this,

Lovetheworld

Hi guys, I am a bit confused by the Transsyberia version. Yes of course there are 26 original versions, very clear when you have one.
But because of that rally, they made 600 versions in 2009/2010. It becomes a bit more unclear to identify, but at least there is the E2D option code to help.
Although with one listed (in the past) on bringatrailer, it did not list the 1Y0 or 1Y1 code, so it isn't really clear if it has the rear difflock, but this source says they have it:
https://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/08...9UhwPOJcJqf4V98DN-InfjhqUJCjI78XvjhUc1brmUIja
They should all have the livery you think, but I see one for sale without the livery (which automatically makes me suspicious for damage repair or not a true version)

I would rather buy something for a lot less than 10K, might not be the best car available, but I'm not going to drive it much and then I might not tread it that good anyway (offroading)
I can spend more, but in my book, big german SUVs are bottomless pits anyways :p they are worth less and less everyday.
Because of that, it could be interesting to buy a special version, the GTS transsyberia, one of 600. Obviously, they are not around much, but lets say for 30K you can find one.
And then hope it depreciates much slower are very little at all. That is probably a more sensible buy, than buying one that is 6K and after thrashing it around is worth much less.

Then, from this document: https://www.porsche.com/filestore.a...ropdown-kat031-e1&lang=en-us&filetype=default
I get that they also made a manual version (9PAAR1=automatic/tiptronic, 9PAAR7=manual). So some of these 600 are made with a manual? Probably even more rare.
I think getting a GTS manual is already something, but getting a Transsyberia with manual must be crazy.

Last edited:

Lovetheworld

No thoughts on the above?

Anyway, I came across a site which lists some useful info. Nice table with engine choices, but if you search for Ground Clearance it gives a good overview:
https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-models/cayenne/955/

So, the air suspension lets you raise it 60mm higher than normal level (normal level air suspension is equal to steel springs)
That is quite something. However, I am wondering, what ground clearance is on the normal level with the biggest tires you can fit without modifications.
And there are cheap lift kits for sale that add 40mm to the steel suspension.
So if you are trying to buy one cheap and want the simplest of all to keep (buy and repair) costs down, then the ground clearance can still be good.
No doubt that air suspension is preferable and will perform better at everything.

But I think a 955 Cayenne has its issues, and if you get it in 3.2 vr6, manual (Aisin made), steel suspension, it will be a cheap and reliable car, even if it is one of the early ones.
That is if you want to buy the cheapest Cayennes out there :)
V8 with air suspension will perform better, but everything has a price.

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Getting a two inch spacer lift from Eurowise. I'm wondering about when I need new tires about changing the size. I'd don't want to get new wheels .

Stock is 255/55-18 29.02 height 10.43 width

I think this will fit without an issue being a little less wide. 255/70R18 116T XL 32.09 height 10.24 width

I'd have to measure the width for fitment at full lock. 265/65R18 116T XL 31.54 height 10.71 width

Is anyone running a other than stock size tire ?

TyScot

Getting a two inch spacer lift from Eurowise. I'm wondering about when I need new tires about changing the size. I'd don't want to get new wheels .

Stock is 255/55-18 29.02 height 10.43 width

I think this will fit without an issue being a little less wide. 255/70R18 116T XL 32.09 height 10.24 width

I'd have to measure the width for fitment at full lock. 265/65R18 116T XL 31.54 height 10.71 width

Is anyone running a other than stock size tire ?
Hiya, I have a 2010 Touareg with a 2" lift running stock 19" wheels. I went from 275/45/19's to Toyo open country at3's in 255/60/19 size with no issues at all. In fact I could have done the 65's but the 60's had a higher load rating that I wanted for help with towing/hauling.Hope this helps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78