where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

CORDSIG79

Observer
I have my final tweaks going in now.
Oil change/all filters changed
New ATM tires on the 17 OEM wheels
New rotors/ceramic brake pads
Added new aftermarket radio etc for BT/A2DP
Next is proactively replacing the Serpetine belt at 130k miles, and just have the timing and pulleys looked at for another 100k miles.

Still running fine, about 18 mpg sitting in traffic 22-26 on the highway.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I have my final tweaks going in now.
Oil change/all filters changed
New ATM tires on the 17 OEM wheels
New rotors/ceramic brake pads
Added new aftermarket radio etc for BT/A2DP
Next is proactively replacing the Serpetine belt at 130k miles, and just have the timing and pulleys looked at for another 100k miles.

Still running fine, about 18 mpg sitting in traffic 22-26 on the highway.[/QUOTEgeewhiz...after all the crap I've given you.....could at least throw in a few pictures :D

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Yes some photos will be nice. Has anyone put on a hitch mounted tire carrier ? Is there any aftermarket front end protection available for the Cayenne?

CORDSIG79

Observer
NEW LED lamps old vs new.

new LED tail lights.....tires and wheels to follow........radio....pics of roof rails...

Attachments

• oldlights.jpg
    oldlights.jpg
    595.4 KB · Views: 58
  • newlights1.jpg
    newlights1.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 60
  • newstereo.jpg
    newstereo.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 68
  • withrr.jpg
    withrr.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 62
  • cayennerear.jpg
    cayennerear.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Cole

Expedition Leader
Sweet. I'll be heading across the country in mine as soon as I get the trailer brake controller installed today.

CORDSIG79

Observer
Yes some photos will be nice. Has anyone put on a hitch mounted tire carrier ? Is there any aftermarket front end protection available for the Cayenne?

Yes, there are OEM skid plates front and center availiable....aftermaket one is a few pages back from the UK company...I would just have a local shop do one up for you if you want to bash a bit harder. I have seen those hitch mounted tire carrier's.........not too sold on them. There were some early Cayenne owners who just bought an aftermarket thule Roof rack and just threw one on top, not too easy to get down but.....If you cannot find one already availiable...the cost is not worth the conversion.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I ordered from a dealer in Phoenix. The closest to me from El Paso. The dealer told me I might be getting one the last manual transmission models. I am the second guy since the Cayenne came out to order one with a standard trans. Now to find some front end protection.

OdessaAbe

The thing that's so interesting about this forum, is the number of people that come here with a 'serious offroad' background. There's not a lot of rock crawling going on here folks. It's all (or almost all) on roads of some sort. They might be bad roads, with hundreds of miles of washboard or with foot deep ruts from commercial trucks passing through in the rainy season - but they're still roads.

Every post that I read that someone says, "You'd never get that up the Porcupine Corkscrew!" reminds me how few people actually understand the concept of 'overlanding'. I think it was Scott that said in one of his posts (to paraphrase) '... in reality, almost everything we do could be done with a Westfalia, and everywhere we go we find a clapped out Corolla has been there before us ...".

A Cayenne is a near perfect platform for overlanding. It had power to spare. It has an absolutely rigid superstructure. The lower control arms are high strength steel to withstand tons of abuse, while the uppers are lightweight aluminum to save weight. It has a great awd system. It has a phenomenal suspension that delivers fantastic on road performance coupled with fantastic 'off road' performance. If you've seen anything of the Trans Siberia, you've seen how fantastic they are.

What's the issue?

Nobody blinks an eye when you tell them you're taking your Rover to the ends of the earth, and nobody blinks an eye when you tell them that the damned Rover broke down on the way to the supermarket - again! But tell them that you're taking your Cayenne down a fire road and they all 'helpfully' tell you how it's going to break down in the middle of nowhere and 'what will you do then?'

The primary definition of 'expedition' states that it is a 'journey'. Getting up the Porcupine Corkscrew on a Saturday afternoon is not a 'journey'. The secondary definition of 'expedition' is 'promptness in acting - dispatch'. In a Cayenne, arguably, you can undertake a 'journey' with more 'dispatch' than you can with any other vehicle in the world.

I guess I had this overlanding thing all wrong, in which case I'll be picking up a new ferrari 599 overlander. I'm sure the 35 series tires' sidewalls won't get cut very easily

Last edited:

Cole

Expedition Leader
A fun towing comparison?,

I have two "tow rigs". My Dodge truck and the CTT.

I recently went to pick up a Eurovan out of state to build a camper project out of.;)

I debated which vehicle to take to tow it home and decided on the CTT. It was as long 1,800 mile tow. (The eurovan was a hell of a deal;)) Then when I got home I wanted to put the CTT back in the garage, so I hooked the trailer up to the Dodge to secure it, etc. I have now towed the Eurovan around for about half a day with the Dodge. Then bought a second Eurovan for parts that I towed home 85 miles with the Dodge.

Here are the basic specs.

Trailer + Eurovan = about 7,500 lbs. Add my 210 lbs of driver and its right about the max tow weight for the CTT. :eek:

Trailer has trailer brakes and both the CTT and the Dodge have the exact same trailer brake controller in them. (Makes adjustment easier to remember:rolleyes:)

2004 CTT chipped (totally drawing a blank on which one right now), APR R1 bpvs, CTTS control arms, everything else stock. Factory tow package. (Est. for the chip company should put it about 530hp/550tq or something like that at the crank)

1998 Dodge 2500 quad cab short box 4x4, V10 (stock 300hp/450tq) but with a dual fuel propane set up, headers, dual exhaust all the way back, MSD plug wires, etc) NV4500 5 speed, Dana 80 LSD rear, Dana 60 front.

So which tows better?:sombrero:

The CTT pulls the load MUCH MUCH better. I could hold 80mph long mountain passes with just a toe on the pedal. The dodge will slow to about 48-60 "all in" on a steep climb.

The CTT stops FAR better!! Obviously the trailer brakes are only controlling part of the load since the Dodge had more of an issue coming to a stop then the CTT with the same load behind it, same trailer brakes and same controller.

The CTT feels much more stable in a corner. The much lower center of gravity and much more advanced suspension obviously controls the weight better. The Dodge, even with new shocks, just kinda wallows around in comparison.

CTT has air bags to auto level the load, Dodge does not, but you can see that the Dodge was not exactly squatting with it on there;)

Every once in a while I forgot to shift the CTT down to first to get the load moving and it doesn't complain one bit, it just starts in second like normal and it moves right along. The Dodge really only wanted to get moving in first.

The CTT is MUCH MUCH FASTER when merging or passing!:eek:

The CTT also turns the load around in a much tighter space. Which made u-turns a no brainer. You usually have to "take another lap" in the Dodge.

Pulling the mountain passes at 75-80 I got anywhere from 10-13mpg in the CTT. I averaged 17mpg without the Eurovan on the trailer when going to pick it up.

The Dodge gets 10mpg unloaded and anywhere from 4-8 pulling. :eek:

The Dodge does "feel" more natural with a trailer behind it. :confused: Even though the CTT kicks its but in the task.

Obviously if my truck were a modified diesel (the V10 was more powerful stock than the diesel of the same year) it would probably get better mileage and hold speed better. But it would still handle and brake the same.

8158301751_dba4d00c1d_b_d.jpg

8158337525_82846a743e_b_d.jpg

7,500 lbs behind it, cruise control set, it doesn't like my led trader lights.

8158338861_9cbcfa1e77_b_d.jpg

Tremek

Cole, great pics in this thread! We bought my wife a really nice '06 Turbo S this spring and it's a surprisingly competent car. We're in Parker, where in CO are you? I have yet to figure out whether the coolant pipes have been done on ours, in spite of having bought the angled mirror. Almost 8k on it so far and it's been flawless, although it's time for brakes (and Turbo S rotors are stupid expensive.)

Best part of the car:

That's my wife racing with our kid's car seat in back. ;)

Cole

Expedition Leader
Very nice!

I'm just up by Quincy and E470. So pretty close to you.

I've never done the mirror trick to check the coolant pipes, but I have changed the coolant pipes on mine. So if you want to stop by maybe I can use the mirror to tell you since I know what I'm looking for.

I took my CTT to the Porsche club autocross a few years ago and beat 27 of the 49 "proper Porsches" at the event.

Here is the video. Super tight course and as you can hear, there is no place to actually open up the CTT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179