Where Do You Put Your ARB Fridge/Freezer?

Adventurer
HI All,
I have had my 08 JKU for a little over a week. I am trying to figure out how to load it with camping and/or road gear for various types of trips I will be taking. I guess I'm a little surprised at how small the space is inside when I actually try to come up with a loading plan.

The current puzzle is what to do with my ARB Fridge/Freezer. Have any of you solved this problem? If so, where did you put it? My ARB will be strapped down to the floor using a tie down kit from Engel. So I need a good, strong floor space. I'm very reluctant to use the cover over the jack. I don't think it will be strong enough to handle the weight when the ARB is being jostled around on the trail.

Typically, I would travel with the rear seats folded but I can see times when there will be rear seat passengers and the seats will have to be unfolded. This further limits the space for the ARB.

How have you solved this problem, what kind of a tie down are you using and how well does it work?

Please don't suggest that I leave the ARB home! I love this silly thing and have been using it for years in my YJ.

BTW, I will have a Wilderness roof rack but the ARB is too heavy to be put up there. That, plus I would need a crane to get it up there.

Thanks, Sparky

Septu

Explorer
I have the smaller Waeco 25L model. I always just put it behind the drivers rear seat. Even on the trail it never really moved around much as I had other stuff packed around it.

Not sure if that helps at all...

m(a)ce

Adventurer
IMG_3489.jpg
I use to have my ARB strapped down behind the passenger seat when I had my Kilby flat floor in...which I'll be selling soon due to passenger needs ;)

The Kilby flat floor gave me lots of space (w/some storage underneath) and the ARB didn't move at all. (straps not on in the picture above)

I've since reinstalled my rear seats and I have the ARB in the trunk area by the sub. Its not strapped down but the Bundu box next to it keeps it steady. I can see the benefit of a slide but for now this works.

I've wheeled the Jeep in both configurations and no issues with it tipping over or slamming around.

Would a slider be an option for you? I haven't spent any time messing with the new JK's but a slide might work out well for you unless it blacks access to some of the storage compartments. Can you open it up all the way while in it's sitting in the back?

Adventurer
HI,
But what happens if you roll the vehicle, God forbid? That fridge will become deadly. I think it needs to be tied down. But how? And where?

Sparky

jdzl

We're going to put a flat floor in the back and possibly take out the 40% side of the rear bench, then bolt the fridge and slider down on the driver side of the "trunk area". The reason you want driver side is that you can still put a tailgate table on the tailgate, otherwise the two will probably collide when both deployed.

m(a)ce

Adventurer
HI,
But what happens if you roll the vehicle, God forbid? That fridge will become deadly. I think it needs to be tied down. But how? And where?

Sparky

Agreed but I'll probably have bigger problems then! :Wow1: No but seriously I think if were wheeling anything really technical I'd strap it down. I appreciate your concern.

We're going to put a flat floor in the back and possibly take out the 40% side of the rear bench, then bolt the fridge and slider down on the driver side of the "trunk area". The reason you want driver side is that you can still put a tailgate table on the tailgate, otherwise the two will probably collide when both deployed.

That was one of the ideas I had. I haven't seen a setup that suits my need in person yet. So I've just been waiting.

attachment.jpg

Here's a nice rig on a thread over at the AEV forum with the Adventure Trailers slide out stove/fridge combo and tailgate table. Looks a little cramped with everything deployed but maybe its the angle?

jdzl

It's probably almost as cramped as it looks. For all intents and purposes the usable space in the back of the Jeep is around 41" in width, the 50Q fridge is 15" wide so there's more than 1/3 of the space gone there. Compared to our Vanagon it feels tiny - but the way I see it, you just pack more carefully / thoughtfully / realistically...

The AT Kitchen setup is awesome, but it's a bit hard to swallow the $650 price tag for the slide itself, plus another $300 or so if you want the custom Partner Steel stove that fits down in there. I have no doubt that it's materials and craftsmanship make it worth every penny - it's just a lot [personally] to shell out. In the end we decided to get one of the tailgate trays ($180) and probably get the old style ARB fridge slide ($220).

Adventurer
HI All,
So far, I don't see a good solution or at least one that meets my needs for fridge use. These are:
1. Placed so I can have reasonably good access.
2. Tied down securely.
3. The tie downs need to be attached directly to the floor and not to the jack cover which is just not strong enough.
4. NOT sitting on a seat. That is hard on the seat and how would you secure it?
5. Don't think I need a sliding mount. I can't see where it buys me anything.

The one idea that seems to have promise is removing the 1/4 seat and put the fridge there, maybe on a false floor that is directly attached to the vehicle floor. This would leave room for one rear seat passenger or, maybe, two that are good friends. My YJ only has one seat with the passenger seat taken up by the ARB fridge mount and the rear by a full Tuffy storage trunk. This is a pretty anti-social vehicle which I don't want to duplicate with the JK.

I should add that I'm not too concerned with storing a lot of gear inside the rear of the Jeep. Probably no more than a medium duffel bag, a sleeping bag, my camera equipment and odds and ends. Just the stuff I want secure from theft, dry, and handy. I want all this to fit with the rear seat unfolded. I'm going to have a roof top rack with custom hold downs where there will be space for two gas cans, two water cans, a ladder, a self inflating mattress, a roll up table, a tent cot, and six Pelican cases. The Pelican's will hold all my small camping equipment, tools and spare parts.

Obviously, I'm single and have no kids. I plan to stay this way. After all, I'm 70 years old. Who would want me? :ylsmoke:

Sparky

jdzl

Once you stop looking - they find you. :p

Removing the (supposedly) 40% side of the rear seat was something we were thinking of too - like you said, would be nice to fit four (friendly) people.

JPK

Explorer
HI All,
So far, I don't see a good solution or at least one that meets my needs for fridge use. These are:
1. Placed so I can have reasonably good access.
2. Tied down securely.
3. The tie downs need to be attached directly to the floor and not to the jack cover which is just not strong enough.
4. NOT sitting on a seat. That is hard on the seat and how would you secure it?
5. Don't think I need a sliding mount. I can't see where it buys me anything.

The one idea that seems to have promise is removing the 1/4 seat and put the fridge there, maybe on a false floor that is directly attached to the vehicle floor. This would leave room for one rear seat passenger or, maybe, two that are good friends. My YJ only has one seat with the passenger seat taken up by the ARB fridge mount and the rear by a full Tuffy storage trunk. This is a pretty anti-social vehicle which I don't want to duplicate with the JK.

I should add that I'm not too concerned with storing a lot of gear inside the rear of the Jeep. Probably no more than a medium duffel bag, a sleeping bag, my camera equipment and odds and ends. Just the stuff I want secure from theft, dry, and handy. I want all this to fit with the rear seat unfolded. I'm going to have a roof top rack with custom hold downs where there will be space for two gas cans, two water cans, a ladder, a self inflating mattress, a roll up table, a tent cot, and six Pelican cases. The Pelican's will hold all my small camping equipment, tools and spare parts.

Obviously, I'm single and have no kids. I plan to stay this way. After all, I'm 70 years old. Who would want me? :ylsmoke:

Sparky

Karma,

There are four factory tie down points on the rear cargo area floor in the JK's, two behind where the rear seats are and two near the tailgate. The two on the drivers side would make appropriate tie down points for a fridge mounted fore and aft on the drivers side. A couple of ratchet straps between the tie down points and the fridge handles would secure the fridge well, even a couple of Yakima type straps pulled tight would do it.

I have secured a 35qt Engel, oriented side to side, to the 60% portion of the rear seat with ratchet straps from front to rear fridge handle to handle under the seat and from handle to handle around the back of the seat. A tighly rolled towl at the back/seat junction allows the fridge to sit level. No harm to the seat over a two week period. Very secure, no issues at EJS in Moab. The ARB fridges in the 40-50qt range would fit. The same fridge or one with similar dimentions will also sit fore and aft on the 40% side of the rear seat. Strapped in with a ratchet strap from front to rear fridge handle routed under the seat and from front handle to front handle around the back of the seat. The driver's seat needs to be one position forward from all the way rearward to get to the ratchet straps; two towels at the seat/seat back junction to sit the firidge level.

JPK

dukabor

I mounted mine on the ARB slide bolted through the floor of my JKU, modifying (cutting) the storage cover so it opens and still have access underneath the fridge, I debated going without the slide and just building tie downs in the storage area, but with 1 5 inch lift and 37's it was hard to open and access. At my height even with the slide it is hard to access the bottom of the fridge at times. I kept my stock subwoofer in place and can still fit an action paker bin in there perfectly. I plan to add a poly performance baja basket above it as well to allow for better organization of gear.

Downside..... having to exit the vehicle to get anything from the fridge, and I am unable to keep an eye on the control panel withour opening the back gate.

I will take a pic or two and post them here.

m(a)ce

Adventurer
I think ARB might be releasing JK storage drawers soon. I'm thinking about maybe getting at least on drawer (looks like 2 will fit across the rear trunk floor) and mounting freezer fridge on top with a slide. I'd lose a little cubby storage access but I'd gain some storage in the unused vertical space that the freezer fridge's footprint takes up. Food for thought...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears