Where is the cabin filter?

GFO

Observer
Wasn't aware there was one on the gen2. Now I want to know so I can replace it, as it's probably all kinds of nasty by now

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I tore apart my dash again, bc my core blew up. I think Im the only one here on expo having the heater core curse. Hopefully I get it taken cared of before the DV trip.

Anyways while I was there, there is definitely no cabin filter anywhere.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I think he means gen 1/2/2.5 montero's didn't get them. Not sure about the gen 3's though.

The North American Gen. III Montero didn't come with a cabin air filter either.
After a bit of investigation, I found that the filter used in this model overseas can be installed into our Monteros.
The install area in behind the lower glove box. Remove the two restricters that keep the glove box from falling all the way open.
You'll see the vent system with a metal bracket bolted to the right to support the glove box.
Remove the single 10mm bolt that holds the bracket in place.
I used a Dremel tool to cut the rectangular space out that receives the filter (follow the outline-it's an exact fit).
Reinstalling the metal bracket will hold the filter in tightly enough to compress the foam sealing strip on the flange of the filter.
Here are a couple of pics.

P1010084.JPG
P1010082.JPG
P1010080.JPG
P1010077.JPG
P1010076.JPG

Attachments

• P1010086.JPG
    P1010086.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The North American Gen. III Montero didn't come with a cabin air filter either.
After a bit of investigation, I found that the filter used in this model overseas can be installed into our Monteros.
The install area in behind the lower glove box. Remove the two restricters that keep the glove box from falling all the way open.
You'll see the vent system with a metal bracket bolted to the right to support the glove box.
Remove the single 10mm bolt that holds the bracket in place.
I used a Dremel tool to cut the rectangular space out that receives the filter (follow the outline-it's an exact fit).
Reinstalling the metal bracket will hold the filter in tightly enough to compress the foam sealing strip on the flange of the filter.
Here are a couple of pics.

View attachment 211316
View attachment 211317
View attachment 211318
View attachment 211319
View attachment 211320

You can actually utilize the 2 screw holes on the plastic cover in addition to relying on the metal bracket to hold it in, if you watch the youtube video I posted you will get a better idea of what I'm referring to.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
It didn't seem like the filter needed the extra screws at all.
The thing is in there nice and snug- no wiggles or jiggles.
When I've removed it to clean or replace it, there has never been any signs of dust coming out from the vents around the filter flange.
It's amazing how much dust and debris that it catches.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
It didn't seem like the filter needed the extra screws at all.
The thing is in there nice and snug- no wiggles or jiggles.
When I've removed it to clean or replace it, there has never been any signs of dust coming out from the vents around the filter flange.
It's amazing how much dust and debris that it catches.

Did you order your filter through rock auto or ebay?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior