Where to begin?

sdnative13

Over the weekend I acquired a 1978 Lance Camper 700. On the surface it looks decent being 40+ years old. I am in the process of cleaning all the junk left by the previous owner. My goal overtime is to completely remodel or update the interior/exterior. As the title of this tread states, "Where to begin".

I can see some structural/water damage in certain places. I have many questions in my head but the top one is should I start on the inside and move out or begin with the outside and move in. Because I am a cheap ass I would like to reuse as much as possible vs buying new. Should I rip everything (inside/outside) out and begin at the frame? I need help/guidance from those that have taken on a similar adventure.

Here are a few pictures

Attachments

• Outside - Drivers Side.jpg
    Outside - Drivers Side.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • Kitchen.jpg
    Kitchen.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • Dinette.jpg
    Dinette.jpg
    729.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Front Sleeper.jpg
    Front Sleeper.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • Icebox - bathroom.jpg
    Icebox - bathroom.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Fridge - Closet .jpg
    Fridge - Closet .jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I'd go outside in - seal up all the seams and make sure you don't have any leaks and the camper is dried out well. I see a palm tree in your photo so I assume it gets wet where you are!

Then I'd test systems, check structure and for rot, see how well things work, and assess budget and what you want to do with it.

That would be pretty cool restored together with a period correct pickup truck! Enjoy the journey

sdnative13

So are you saying remove the aluminum skin, fix/replace and structural damage, replace outer skin, seal up and ensure it is water tight? Then move to the inside?

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Oh, no, I was saying I'd check all over the outside pretty quickly and make sure it's sealed up / caulked so no more water can get in. Then I'd probably clean it up inside and check out the systems and use it a little to get a better idea of what it needs or what I wanted to spend on improving.

sdnative13

So I have run into a situation where I could use some help from the community. I am in the process of gutting the interior of the camper. I am unsure how to remove the paneling from the walls, celling, etc. as it appears to be glued and stapled everywhere. Any helpful tips will be greatly appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman