Where to buy "Aussie" style trailers?

NAdams

Observer
After some research, I'm starting to think that a base camp style trailer might be a good fit for the type of camping we would like to do in the future. Currently, we have a travel trailer and tow it with a Burb....this means the Jeep is left home and we can't get the trailer to the off the beaten path to places that would be accessable with an off-road trailer.
It seems, from the limited amount of research I've done, that this type of trailer is huge in Australia but just catching on here in the States. I've seen the AT trailers and really like both models but I was wondering how folks get their hands on Kimberly Kampers and the like from Australia. Are there importers here in the US or are people lucking into used ones that have been brought to the US? Also, any other US made trailers out there to rival the ATs? Any help or leads would be great....

Thanks,

Nate

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
:soap box on:

Your right, the Ausies have a ton of them on the road! They are just getting noticed here. King Kampers (US version of the Kimberly Kamper) was imported into the US around 2005. There are only a limited number of them around. The main KK manufacturing plant in Austrailia got overloaded with local orders and had to idle the US and European markets in 2007. They plan to re-engage the US and Europe as soon as their 2nd plant comes online later this year or early in 2008.

I got mine from a dealer in Ariz before he got out of the business. The Central dealer in the US is Slee Offroad in Colorado. I believe they still have a 2006 model like mine that is for sale. The only other current option for the KK would be to find a used one for sale. You don't see them come up very often.

I agree with you that having an off-road trailer that truly can be towed in the backcountry to set up a comfortable base camp is a great way to go. :)

The other option would be the US made AT trailers that are excellent. The Horizon with all the bells and whistles would make quite a base camp.

Whatever you get, try to find one with independant suspension. The AT's have a slick design and mine has independant coils springs with limit straps and Fox shocks. Tows great both on and off road.

07GilaCamp20.jpg

Another thread with the trailer minimaly deployed for a quick trip.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7767

:Soap Box Off:

Last edited:

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
We have two trailers that are 2006 models that we are selling at discount prices since they are last years models. We have a demo unit and a new unit. Price is $17000 for the demo and $18000 for the new unit. This is a pretty good deal since these trailers were $23k new.

Call if interested.

Sorry for the add.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
sleeoffroad said:
We have two trailers that are 2006 models that we are selling at discount prices since they are last years models. We have a demo unit and a new unit. Price is $17000 for the demo and $18000 for the new unit. This is a pretty good deal since these trailers were $23k new.

Call if interested.

Sorry for the add.

I don't consider this an ad. People ask where to get something...I know you have it....and I tell them where to find it. :costumed-smiley-007

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Australian off-road trailers are fantastic, and they have used some great boat building skills and designs to come up with some amazing trailers.

You are going to find yourself confined to King Kampers and Kamperoo's here in North America.

All the rest are eye candy as no other Australian manufacturer has DOT and NTHSA certified trailers.

I think we should have a sticky on this:

"The major issues with importing trailer are that they must meet DOT and NHTSA regulations to be sold here. Individuals can not import their own trailers unless they go through a Registered Importer and there are only about 3 companies who deal with trailers and they deal exclusively with big rigs."

King Kamper and Kamperoo are the only two companies who can officially export from Australia to the USA. There are a couple of other "companies" who will arrange for a trailer to be shipped to the USA for you, best be careful when dealing with them, if they are not recognized by the DOT and NHTSA the imported trailer is subject to re export or destruction."

Your other big problem is the US$ is close half it's recent value overseas right now. This would make Christo's in stock trailers a double bargain.

When shopping for a trailer consider;
Overall weight (an accurate measurement of)
Tongue weight
Length
Width
Ground clearance
Approach and departure angles
Storage capacity, (after the tent is stowed).

As well as the regulars like quality of workmanship, availability of spare parts etc.

An accurate assessment of how the trailer will be used is valuable, types of trails you would consider going on, do you want a base camp or a more remote camp. Remember it's washboard that kills trailers not boulder hopping.

Best of luck. Give us a call if you want a more detailed assessment of what's on the market.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Campa, is a company similar to AT, located near Cleveland OH. I been talking to them recently about there products. The VP seems nice and knowledgable. (Like Martyn from AT, I like seeing company people out talking on the forums, Very professional, Kudos to y'all)
http://www.campausa.com/

I guess it depends on how extreme the trail is. This a well built, trailer from here in PA. I like a lil more comforts and this is a excelent combo of such. The price is reasonable to boot.

http://www.fleetwoodcampingtrailers.com/series.aspx?id=3&sn=Evolution

I would suguest that, what ever y'all do buy Americian. The people are great to deal with and you can get replacement parts, tech advice and everything easier. IMHO it's hard to beat AT!

Last edited:

NAdams

Observer
Thanks guys for all the great feedback. I was not aware of the King Kamper line imported in the US....so thanks for the lead. I really do like the AT Horizon and feel it would suit my needs well...probably more than I will ever need since we are not hardcore off-roaders but really like to get off the pavement and explore. Convincing my wife to ditch the travel trailer and return to a more rustic style camping might be the toughest part of this whole ordeal. It's really easy to get spoiled by full hookups and clean restrooms. That said, she always talks about wanting to visit out-of-the-way places and thinks a big camper will prevent us from doing that....so maybe there's hope. Anyway....thanks again for helping this noob out.

Tucson T4R: I'm from Tucson..and my folks still live there. We are currently serving time (USAF) in Abilene, TX....yikes

Nate

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
NAdams said:
.........Tucson T4R: I'm from Tucson..and my folks still live there. We are currently serving time (USAF) in Abilene, TX....yikes
Nate

Well, let out a yell next time you come visit Tucson. You are welcome to swing by and check out my KK anytime. BTW..for your wife, you can tell her I have a flushing Porta potti and a hot shower in my KK set up. :D

You can the see the zip on shower/bathroom addition in this picture:

07GilaCamp19.jpg

Last edited:

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I have looked the world over, and while in Australia I drooled over all the options they have down under! My favorites being the Tvan, TrakTrailer and Ultimate trailers.

In the US Market, I think the AT trailers are LEAPS AND BOUNDS ahead of anyone else making trailers here stateside. Their suspension has set the bar for everyone else and their fit and finish are first class. If I had the coin, they'd be receiving a call from me in an instant. These are designed and built by guys who USE these things, that goes a long way in my book.

That said, the costs are prohibitive... I am not saying the cost is not worth it, just not in my price range. So, I decided to jump in and build something that suits my needs and fits my budget. My trailer will be a far cry from the professional units out there, but there is something fun about building it myself, and maybe one day I can get into one of the AT units!

If I were you, I would go and rent one from AT and give it a test run, I believe they do a rental program? Martyn or Marrio?

Just my .02

Rezarf <><

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
That's correct, we do rent trailers out. We have a limited supply of rental units so it is best to plan your trip as far in advance as possible. It is a good way to see if the trailer will fit your needs or not before making a commitment. If it is a fit, we credit up to one weeks rental towards the purchase. More info at http://www.adventuretrailers.com/rentals.html

jbs

Observer
Rezarf <>< said:
In the US Market, I think the AT trailers are LEAPS AND BOUNDS ahead of anyone else making trailers here stateside. Their suspension has set the bar for everyone else and their fit and finish are first class. <><

I agree. I went out and got a tour of the shop from Mario last week. I was thinking about getting one in the next year or so. My wife and I were so impressed I called him the next day to order. Top notch product from class people!
broc

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
My Horizon with a few labels....barely scratches the surface on showing the quality construction....

safari.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12