Where to buy Fiberthane?

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Does anyone know where to buy 3/4" Fiberthane in sheets? I'd like to make some drawers for my 4-Runner's rear cargo area and really like the drawers system offered by
the folks at Adventure Trailers. They are using Fiberthane as a weight-saving alternative to their Baltic birch drawers.

matt24601

www.fiberthane.com
We are expanding our line availability for both businesses and private sales. Please contact us if you would like additional information or would like to purchase Fiberthane for your construction needs. sales@fiberthane.com

It says "private sales". Drop them an email and see what they say. Make sure and post back up here because I'd be interested as well.

762X39

Explorer
I think the biggest problem will be the cost of shipping and handling if you are ordering 1 or 2 sheets.If you are nearby and can pick up the sheets it will be more cost effective.:coffee:

brianwj

Observer
Have you ever looked at Azek sheets? Its a PVC trim product and you can get a 3/4 thick 4x8 sheet for from Home Depot. I've used the trim on my house and once you glue it together it's not coming apart again. If you build a proper drawer and have the metal slides for support I think this product would work well. I was thinking of skinning my trailer in it when it's time for a rebuild since its paintable.

brianwj

Observer
They make it in 1inch thickness but it would need to be well supported for a floor. It dents pretty easy also so I don't think it would hold up under heavy use.

Woodsman

Adventurer
Did you ever find a source for fiberthane?

My plastics suppliers have never heard of the stuff. Buying direct you'll pay big freight dollars. The weight savings over baltic birch is minimal and the material isn't as rigid as BB and it isn't as easy to work with or as easy to join. IMO, the only real plus is that (and I am guessing on this) it might be more weather proof.

carbon60

Explorer
The weight savings over baltic birch is minimal and the material isn't as rigid as BB and it isn't as easy to work with or as easy to join. IMO, the only real plus is that (and I am guessing on this) it might be more weather proof.

(Disclaimer: I know nothing on this topic.)

AT uses the stuff, and they seem to have been around the block. Must be a good reason?

Katika Africa

There are pros and cons to both, weight strength etc. AT built an amazing slide drawer storage system for my defender out of it and it works perfectly and so much better than wood. I come from the overloading world where you can't cross certain borders with any wood whatsoever in the vehicle so have always been more prone to Aluminum and other materials. Water damage is a very real issue and I have found the various plastic materials to have far more pros than cons. This is why none of the South African off-road trailers or gear are made with any wood at all. You literally can't get across some border crossings with a wooden cutting board.
For this particular project, a camp kitchen it is perfect.I found that, in the USA, the place to search for this type of material is recycled plastic and marine gear like Westmarine then coat it. I'll post pics of the project once done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger