Where to get a camera?

OFRD_GRL

Adventurer
All the sites that had good deals on a Nikon D40x w/ lenses/etc. had HORRID reviews of service/etc.

Where should I look for a good price on a Nikon D40 with an 18-55 and 70-300 lense (or lenses around that range)

Rob O

Adventurer
OFRD_GRL said:
All the sites that had good deals on a Nikon D40x w/ lenses/etc. had HORRID reviews of service/etc.

Where should I look for a good price on a Nikon D40 with an 18-55 and 70-300 lense (or lenses around that range)

I can't say it enough when people ask for retailer recommendations: Buy from a reputable place and avoid shopping ebayers and other online e-tailers purely on price. What you save isn't worth the headache and potential for loss/misrepresentation/etc. Can't go wrong with B&H; Amazon (and affiliated retailers) , Costco and Dell are also safe bets (Dell if they're having a stellar deal going). Buy.com and buydig.com are generally okay as well.

If you find a deal that's too good to be true -- i.e., the price is way lower than everywhere else -- it probably is. There are places that offer technically new product, but disaggregate the original packaging so they can advertise the body at ridiculously low prices. Then when you get it, or if you call them first, you find you have to pay extra for the charger and other stuff that was originally packaged from the factory in the original box. Once you piece it all back together and add shipping, you end up not saving anything.

Shop B&H and be done with it. :D

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Lost Canadian said:
I buy all my stuff from The Camera Store but you're probably looking for something closer. I will echo what Rob said, avoid ebay and the super deal online sites, most are scams.

I also buy almost exclusively from The Camera Store - however they are just down the road from where my wife works so it's easy for me. Great service, great people and some of the best prices in Canada.

Pete

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I make a point of buying from my local camera store that caters to professional photographers. I want such stores to stay in business, because if I need something RIGHT NOW, they are likely to have it. If I don't shop there to save $10, then they may not be there anymore....

I apply this logic to most all of my purchases whenever possible.

Rob O

Adventurer
nwoods said:
I make a point of buying from my local camera store that caters to professional photographers. I want such stores to stay in business, because if I need something RIGHT NOW, they are likely to have it. If I don't shop there to save $10, then they may not be there anymore....

I apply this logic to most all of my purchases whenever possible.

Commendable ... and maybe that works with some of the great shops in Southern California (like Sammys). But here in Phoenix, with basically Tempe Camera and Photomark the only reputable local shops catering to pros, you pay out the *** ... way more than $10 to be saved. ;-) Sometimes they'll honor price match for, say, Amazon but you still get hit with tax (and that adds up on more expensive gear). Example: I can get a NIB, US-spec 40D body from any number of online retailers (reputable) for under $1,100 shipped; best I can do from either of the locals mentioned is $1,299. Easy call IMO.

We also have Ritz (Wolf), but I refuse to buy from them because they are ridiculously more expensive. I guess if I *had* to have something for a trip or photoshoot and couldn't wait for the item to be shipped I might pay a premium for instant gratification. Most of the time, though, I've no problem waiting a few days to save considerable sums.

Rob O said:
We also have Ritz (Wolf), but I refuse to buy from them because they are ridiculously more expensive. I guess if I *had* to have something for a trip or photoshoot and couldn't wait for the item to be shipped I might pay a premium for instant gratification. Most of the time, though, I've no problem waiting a few days to save considerable sums.

Once upon a time I use to shop at Ritz until I grew up and realized how stupid that was. Way to over priced and run by people who really did not know what they were doing.

I do most of my shopping with B&H. I went to college on the East end of Long Island. I would order all my supplies from B&H and they would be at the college in two days. If I was heading into the city for the day I would just stop by. That being said I got first hand experience with there practices and knowledge of photography and I can say it is top notch:26_7_2:

alvarorb

Adventurer
I've gotten my last two Canon dSLRs from Best Buy. Yes, the retail store.
Before you call me crazy, read on.

I go online to Amazon.com and B&H. Get their pricing on the camera with the lens kit (last time I checked they only sold the camera with the lens). Then went to the store and asked them to match it. They usually do.
Then I get their 3 year extended warranty. Their new one covers accidental damage to cameras. It also covers cleaning done by Canon.

Once a year, I take my cameras for service. Specially after a trip to the Moab where red dust gets everywhere. Cleaning is included in the warranty. So are parts and labor. I've gotten a CF card door replaced once.

I think it's a sweet deal. The price is fair and I feel good that I can get my camera up and running if something were to happen to it.

Regards

Alvaro

OFRD_GRL

Adventurer
i was actually thinking about going to best buy.... i will have to see if they will match price.

the main benefit of buying online is the no tax thing, which can be somewhat hefty on a camera purchase. especially with lenses and such.

i have no decent stores locally. theres wolff camera.. but they are WAY overpriced even compared to bestbuy...

alvarorb

Adventurer
Odrd_GRL,

Too bad you don't have a BB nearby.
Lenses and accessories I buy from Amazon. Sometimes it will be from B&H, others from Adorama, others from Amazon itself. The search and purchase is done via Amazon.

Regards

Alvaro

OFRD_GRL said:
i was actually thinking about going to best buy.... i will have to see if they will match price.

the main benefit of buying online is the no tax thing, which can be somewhat hefty on a camera purchase. especially with lenses and such.

i have no decent stores locally. theres wolff camera.. but they are WAY overpriced even compared to bestbuy...

gearbox

Adventurer
From B&H Photo I've gotten good prices and fast shipping, and I don't expect poor service. They offer 3rd party warranties also, which is good for things that tend to break right after the factory warranty runs out...or if it happens to get fried when it becomes obsolete.

I've heard of one guy that got a $900 camera for under $600 through Dell by stacking coupons and specials. Look for "hot deals," be patient, and you will get a good deal. Just stay away from gray-market stuff and "service" will usually tend to be par. Unless you want superior service for a greater price, go with any reputed dealer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan