Where to Locate Light Switches

eyemgh

I have a F350 with upfitter switches. We'll have forward and aft lights that I'll tie to those. We will also have lighting in our upper boxes and will be using rock lights to light the ground once parked. I'm trying to figure out how and where to switch those. I'll probably put an external switch on the boxes. I don't think a latch switch would be great, because I only wan to light them at night. It would be nice to step out on to lit ground though, which would favor using the upfitter switches for the rock lights. I don't want to have to get back into the cab to turn them off. What's the best way to accomplish this? Thanks!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I ran multiple power sources to my outside lighting for camp, so there are switches in the cargo area and in the cab. The disadvantage is that you have to turn it off from the same switch you turn on. Verkstad’s solution would be better.

gatorgrizz27

Assuming that you don’t want them to go off automatically after a certain amount of time, what about a 3 way switch like in a conventional house? A switch on the dash, and a switch on the box, either one can turn them on and off. Only down side would be not knowing if they are turned on during the day since either position can be “on”. If they are tied into an accessory hot ignition position it shouldn’t cause any problems though.

billiebob

Suggest using bi-stable relay what turns on/off your lamps whats controlled by a momentary switch.
Press a switch to turn on, press again to turn off.
You can fit as many switches at whatever locations you want.
Or..
If latching circuit electricity is a challenge.
Use one of these switches and run tubing wherever you want a pushbutton. View attachment 702608
This is ancient "technology" I had completely forgotten about. Excellent idea.
I think Volvo used this tech in the 1970s for the heat/ac/defrost systems.

Betarocker

Adventurer
I mounted my switches below the headlight switch on the flat surface of the lower dash panel. Relays all tucked behind. Can search for my wiring diagram somewhere here.

Boatbuilder79

I have a F350 with upfitter switches. We'll have forward and aft lights that I'll tie to those. We will also have lighting in our upper boxes and will be using rock lights to light the ground once parked. I'm trying to figure out how and where to switch those. I'll probably put an external switch on the boxes. I don't think a latch switch would be great, because I only wan to light them at night. It would be nice to step out on to lit ground though, which would favor using the upfitter switches for the rock lights. I don't want to have to get back into the cab to turn them off. What's the best way to accomplish this? Thanks!

The cheapest least complicated way I have found Is to use the 5 pin bosch style relays and gang them together to work like a latching relay. Then use momentary switches in multiple locations to activate / inactivate them.

the link abovehas the diagram and some cookies apparently

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior