Where to locate used Series Land Rovers?

weatherm

Adventurer
Yeah its about 80% humidity and 95+ in the summer.. kinda sucks :)

I got a new truck with AC :) the rover is my love / hate relationship :) haha wife hates me for not shutting up about it but I love it

greenmeanie

Adventurer
Importing from the UK is perfectly fine to do as long as you understand your risks. If you are like most people and don't have the means to fly out and inspect vehicles by yourself or have an agent act for you then you want to stick to the dealers with a good reputation. You will pay a premium but it does mitigate a lot of the risks. These people will work with you to get what you want in the budget you have all within reason. A couple of good sources are:
The Land Rover Center

PABlanchard

evilfij

Explorer
I know of a nice 109 SIII fire engine 2 door long wheelbase with hardtop utility type body with very low miles for under 4k.

Ron

CMorris

Lanny Clark (formerly of Rovers North) in Colchester Vermont has a couple of very nice 109's available, one being my old 1967 SIIA that I took up through Labrador and Newfoundland, it's very nice and ready to travel. The other is a real nice Dormobile (sorry not sure of year) that's been completely redone. Both are Bronze Green, if color matters. Lanny's shop number is 802-872-5710.

RBBailey

Observer
I've just re-bought a 1965 IIa that I owned 4 years ago -- yes, that is a good demonstration of how these trucks will get under your skin.

I can tell you, you will never, ever, ever find one that will not need work. Mine is in good shape, everything works, but when everything works, everything seems to leak more.

I can also tell you to largely ignore paint, anyone can put a fresh coat of paint on one of these and make it look good. The best ones will have no rust, little corrosion, and they will have a long list of rebuilt or new parts. A Series III is the best, but they don't really look as good as the IIa -- in my opinion.

In this current market you can expect to pay about $5k for an 88" that is good, running, fixable. You can expect to pay $7+k for a 109" that is good and usable. At those prices you will have things to fix. If you go higher than that you can expect to have something that runs very well, rattles a little less than the others, leaks oil, and you will have to do work on it within six months.

That's not to say these aren't actually fairly reliable trucks, or that they are particularly fragile. Think of how old they are! Mine is an original truck, with a few bits replaced or rebuilt, and it's been driving the past three days with no alternator, headlights on and everything -- will your DII last that long?

There is a good 109 for sale in Washington, check the Craig's List ads in that state.

RBBailey

Observer
Ha! That's not the one I was thinking. The one I was thinking about is red with grass painted across the bottom, like it's in Africa or something.

WKCwith5

Adventurer
Thanks for all the great info. I have looked at a 1967 88 this week a couple of times. I added some water to the radiator and primed the the fuel pump and it ran well. It does need the master cylinder, and all for corners on the brakes redone do to improper brake fluid added. The under panels are in good condition with a few rust bubbles here and their. It is an over drive model as well. The truck has been in the same family for the past 15 years so their is good info about it as to what is in need of repairs. To get it on the road it just needs the brakes reworked and some lights replaced. With a couple hard weekends of work it could be a really good start to getting a reliable truck to work with. I still would like the 109 for the room and space. I will try to post a few pics of the truck this weekend. thanks Bill.

jabber

Hey Bill, While the 88s are GREAT vehicles... I'd stay on track in looking for a 109. I had an 88 and a D90; my only complaint was wishing for more space!!! You could always opt for an 88 with a nicely setup trailer, too.

Keep us posted on your finds.
Cheers,
Jabber

greenmeanie

Adventurer
Its not an either/or thing. If your oing to have a series one is never enough. You need and 88 and a 109. Then, of course, the forward controls might sneak up and bite you too.

Once you have one, a herd of the things just seems to gather.

WKCwith5

Adventurer
Thanks Jabber,
I think you are right on about the space issue with the 88. I do have a nice 1/4 ton Canadian trailer I fixed up a few years back, that works great to carry extra stuff on trips and camping. But not towing a trailer is nice as well. I still hope to find a 109 or if lucky a 110 that is not 60K or has been legally imported. Thanks for the reminder to evaluate space it is important factor due to the 4 kids which means lots of stuff to carry on longer trips.

bpj911

Observer
I have a nice 109 for sale.

712-299-2279. Located in NW Iowa. It's worth mentioning that the other truck is also for sale, M37. Which ever sells first, I am keeping the other.
Thanks!

M

MuddyOval

There are some 1983/4 110's you can import now legally, but the problem is the ones for sale are usually REALLY beat. It's very rare to find an early one like that in good shape. They often look good, but are a disaster underneath.
Doesn't mean with some careful shopping that you couldn't find one- check countries other than the U.K. like Germany, New Zealand etc. You can score a Left hand drive one easier there and the condition will likely be better.
Seems the ones in the 'motherland' are usually in the worst condition.
I'd bet with some careful shopping you could land a solid 110 in your driveway for $12K shipped. The cheaper ones are usually the ones that need big time work. A few people started importing them to flip on eBay but they look really tatty for the money. Take out the middle-man and do it yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman