which coilovers??

musicmaan

Observer
Hello all, just looking for some opinions on which coilovers to get for my 98 Tacoma.

I've had Fabtech coilovers in for the last 6 years, have re-built them once, and figure it's time to replace them now. I will be putting in the OME 2.25" leafs, and would like to get some new front suspension while I'm at it.

I'm leaning towards ICON, but I would like some opinions on them and other set ups as well.

The truck is a 98' Tacoma 2.7L daily driver with some light expedition use. No winch bumper as of yet, but it will come eventually.

Thank you,

MM

7wt

Expedition Leader
I currently have an older pair of Donahoes that are in need of a rebuild. I spoke with a nice guy at Icon and after I told him what my needs were, he said he could revalve my Donahoes for more slow speed articulation for a very reasonable price. The only trouble is I can't afford to leave my truck on blocks for a couple weeks while they are sent back to California. Ultimately I am going to sell my coilovers to someone that can afford the time to have them rebuilt while I go another direction. I guess what I am trying to say is for coilovers, I wouldn't consider anything other than Icon mostly due to their customer service and versatility.

Ric

Adventurer
I havent ran anything other than the Toytec`s, this is my second rig that used the Ultimate kit, I LOVE them.

zidaro

Explorer
I have ICON's on my Tundra and they are great. I have a set of Radflo's going on the front of my '87 4runner 3-link. Radflo is definitely worth taking a look at- Glenn is a stand up guy, and will work till your happy - the product is a blend of the best of King and Fox coilovers

nr13

Observer
I'm in the same boat. I have also been leaning towards the Icon. How do the Icon's perform on the Pavement? Would those of you that have them say they improve your road handling? I Have heard great things about them off road but my rig is on pavement a lot more than trail. Thanks

I'm running Kings on FJC, but to reply about Icon's on road performance, a supplier/buddy stated that theybhad opened a third bleeder valve on the Icons, with the intention being to allow for a more comfortable on road ride.

For what it's worth.

bjowett

Adventurer
King Shocks are my vote. Their quality is outstanding, and they don't limit you to their off shelf the kits.... They will build you whatever you want.

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
ICON!

I have been running mine for 6 months now and can not be happier. The on road ride is smooth and controlled. The crappy highways here are no problem now. On a rough patch they soak up the bump and don't bounce at all on rebound. Even when hitting a bump on a corner at 70 they ride is controlled and planted (and I ditched the front sway bar!). And the customer service is incredible, which is why I went with ICON. Call the other manufacturers you are interested in. When you get tired of no reply, lame answers and cookie cutter solutions call ICON.

SteveG

Adventurer
If you already have coil-overs, why replace them? They're completely rebuildable and valving can be changed to fit your needs.

I vote for saving your $$$ for something else.

musicmaan

Observer
Thanx for all the replies! I had thought about a full OME set up, but I like to have the options of adjusting the front end height to where the rear is sitting.

SteveG, I agree with you completely, but I live on the coast, where it rains about 300 days a year. this combined with salt on the roads in the winter has taken it's toll on the Fabtech coilovers. The optional protective coating that ICON offers has me leaning in that direction for sure.

SteveG

Adventurer
SteveG, I agree with you completely, but I live on the coast, where it rains about 300 days a year. this combined with salt on the roads in the winter has taken it's toll on the Fabtech coilovers. The optional protective coating that ICON offers has me leaning in that direction for sure.

Ahhh, OK. If the shocks are still salvageable (internal mating surfaces are OK), you can also refinish yours. Powdercoating might be a good option for you. I recently built some shocks for a friend using some ugly shock bodies I've had laying around for years. Rather than coat them, I just painted them.... Photo below.

What was your experience with the fabtech's ride?

I pulled a blown set of adjustable donahoe's, put on some adjustable fabtech's and had the donahoes rebuilt by icon. Sold the donahoes to a friend and compared the rides. My fabtech's are stiff in comparrison both cranked up a bit over 2.5''. I have full weight of tube bumper skids and winch. But imo makes for better handling on and off road aside from a little bumpier. No swaying and sagging.

I hear people say things like their suspension rides like a cadillac. These definately don't but they doesn't nose dive easily, overstuff tires, or get all side to side squirley when getting rocked. They can take a pounding from small scale crawling. For the sake of not experimenting on the difference of other brands with my $$ I'll probably stick with the fabtech's.

I've read softer is better, stiffer is better, it should ride like a caddy, the better it works off road the worse it is on road... It just depends on what you do, the weight you carry and how you felt about the fabtech's ride.

I'll be interested to see what you go with and if you experience any difference.

Unless a Tacoma has a bunch of added wheel travel, it's not going to ride like a Cadillac. Valving needs to be relatively stiff to work well with limited wheel travel. Stiffer vs softer... depends on the application and driver. People want and need different neets to suit their application. There's no magic bullet.

Attachments

• 2.5x10-SFTX.jpg
    2.5x10-SFTX.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 15

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle