Which ground tent to augment RTT?

Cedo Nulli

Observer
I've been looking at expanding my campsite a bit. Currently, I've got a Tepui RTT (Kukenam) on my ManleyORV trailer. I'm planning on adding the 6x6 Tepui awning to the trailer, but also want to use a ground tent as an extra storage/changing room/extra people tent.

I really like the Tepui Awning Extention and the OzTent RV-2, design is perfect for what I'd like to do, problem is both when packed are too large for my trailer. Trailer is 6', RV-2 packs at 6'6", and the Tepui Awning Extension is up to 8'. I can't use an annex for the RTT due to the orientation of the RTT on my trailer.

Anyone know any similar tents that packs up under 6' and are preferably near 6' tall when up?

Maxcustody

Explorer
You have the EXACT set up I have. I am selling the annex because I cant use due to height. I have the rhino rack awning. The Oz tent will fit corner to corner. I have also attached it under the tent on top of the rack................

IMG_1284.jpgIMG_1783.jpg523.jpg

Cedo Nulli

Observer
Max, nice setup. Yeah, that essentially what I'm looking for. I've got the utility model with the soft tonneau, so storing under the tent isn't a good option for me, but I bet I could make that work. I carry too much kit for corner to corner inside.

Which model OZ tent are you running?

vegasjeepguy

Adventurer
image.jpg
With my RTT mounted on my trailer it is only about 4 ft off the ground...too low for an annex. I had a similar dilemma about storage, changing room, etc. This last trip I took the REI Base Camp 6 tent I've had for 10+ years and because of the wet, chilly weather I am so glad I did. It is said to be a 6 man tent, but I used to put two military style cots in it and it was perfect for my son, me and our gear. Being 6ft it is also tall enough to stand up in. This time we used it to store gear, as a changing room and even had enough room to put one cot in for a friend who needed a place to sleep.

I love my RTT and it is definitely the most comfortable sleep I've had camping. The drawback is limited space. Using the additional ground tent works out perfectly.

Cedo Nulli

Observer
That's essentially what I'm hoping for...but both the Tepui Awning Extension (their room) and the OZTent are too large stored for my trailer. I could make them work, but looking for options to store inside the trailer.

I've thought about getting the awning walls also, but I don't want to putting up/taking down the walls.

What about an awning room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

screwball48

Explorer
Sorry the walls are what I was talking about. This video shows how one is attached and set up. I have contemplated one myself, but have yet to even acquire an awning. The only thing that gives me pause on the walls is the fact that ARB recommends temporary use of them during mild weather only.
http://youtu.be/7MdiBy19r7M

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maxcustody

Explorer
Max, nice setup. Yeah, that essentially what I'm looking for. I've got the utility model with the soft tonneau, so storing under the tent isn't a good option for me, but I bet I could make that work. I carry too much kit for corner to corner inside.

Which model OZ tent are you running?
I have the RV 2. Packable size is the only disadvantage of the Oz tent that I have found. I just ordered the Rhino-Rack Backbone with Pioneer platform for my jeep. I can now haul it on top if I want......

Sent from my Roof Top Tent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears