Which Jeep...or dodge

Rosco862003

Adventurer
Hey all I've been a lurker for some time now and have high hopes for making a doit-all vehicle capable of delivering 20mpg while cruising at 80mph, and a vehicle capable of driving on dirt roads for several days at a time. My question is what would you the reader choose and why. Im between a CRD liberty due to my love for diesels and economy. I do not know too much about the libby's however and hear you can't lift them much over 2.5" which impedes on my 33" tire requirement (Anyone with a CRD libby feel free to add $.02). My other choice is a 97-99 Cherokee with the 4.0/AW4/combo. I have had an 88 cherokee before with those specs and absolutely loved it. I know that they will last forever if taken care of properly, and maybe even throw on some rubicon axles f/r. My last choice is a pre 98.5 Ram 2500 Diesel with the NV4500. I love these trucks for their simplicity, bulletproof drivetrain, and ability to deliver up to 20mpg. Hell I wouldn't even have to put a lift on for 33's. To expand upon and help further you guys help me choose a vehicle, my plans for said truck are as follows:

-Will be on pavement about 80%
-Most off road travel will include exploring backcountry, driving on old mine roads and crosscountry expo, whereas a small portion of it will include driving it like a stole it..still like a challenge every now and then.
-Be able to hold camping, recovery gear, hold four passengers, on board air, and I plan on storing the winch inside as will have a hitch point front and rear so I can mount the winch depending on where I need it most.
-Biggest requirement is RELIABILITY!
I know its a small list but those are basics and hope to hear som good advice thanks for lookin!

winkosmosis

Explorer
The XJs with the manual trans seem to get much better gas mileage based on what I've read on forums... like mid 20s instead of high teens. I have no scientific data to back that up though.

Rosco862003

Adventurer
Also is it worth the still over $10000+ asking price for a used one with over 100k miles for the Ram in anyones opinion?

logos

Observer
I know the owner of a hot shot freight company that uses the Ram Cummins 3500 to tow 18,000 Lb. loads regularly. They put 300,000 + miles on them before overhaul.

Spur

Adventurer
Also is it worth the still over $10000+ asking price for a used one with over 100k miles for the Ram in anyones opinion?

10k + ??

I routinely see 2nd gen Dodges in good shape selling for 5-8k. Maybe it's because I'm in Texas and they are plentiful down here. Where are you located?

HarryT

Adventurer
All terrain tires instead of mud tires will get you a couple of more miles per gallon. Don't store anything on the roof and don't drive 80 MPH.
Saving fuel and saving money are two different things. Just because a diesel gets better mileage doesn't mean you are saving money over a gasoline powered vehicle.

Rosco862003

Adventurer
I live in Charlotte,NC and If i do see any Ram CTD for 5-8 they have over 200k miles and I'm not too sure if I want a vehicle with that many miles. Also good point about driving 80mph lol, just gotta heavy right foot!:smiley_drive:

frumpy

Explorer
Coming from someone who owns a liberty, don't get one. I like mine but it is a dd/pavement pounder only. 2.5" is pretty much the max lift and it is expensive and you are limited to 31s max (with a little trimming) and they will definatly not be able to driven like they are stolen. I have seen one liberty on 33s, it also had a solid axle and coil overs giving it 8" of lift.

As for the Ram vs XJ they are quite different vehicles. Personally I would go with the XJ, shorter wheelbase, seats 4 people decently, decent room in the back, tons of aftermarket support, etc.

Rosco862003

Adventurer
Thanks for everyones input, It will be a slow build and probably won't start until next year sometime...bootcamp has a way of delaying plans!

maximumrob

Adventurer
Have you thought about a V6 half-ton? Given that you'd be doing 20% off-road (that's a LOT), you'd be low speed where the loss of torque and HP over a V8 won't be noticed. Plus, a V6 sips less fuel when idling than a big V8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12