Which Land Cruiser?

KiwiChick

Hi everyone,

I am very new to both this forum and to overlanding itself. Before I ask my question I would just like to tell you a wee bit about ourselves to put the question into persepective:

My husband and I (early 30s) are planning an overland trip from Austria (where we are currently based) to Mongolia. We already have a son (almost two years old) and a little one on the way. The plan is to do this trip in around 5ish years, when the younger one is 5 and just about to start school. Before that we'd like to use the summers to do shakedown trips around Europe and down to Morocco.

My husband and I are actually motorcyclists and in an ideal world we would love to do the trip by bike. Now we are faced with the question of how to safely and sensibly transport two young-ish kids. We have ruled out the option of them riding pillion. We are now looking into the options of two sidecar outfits (expensive, difficult to ride, very different to motorcycling) or a car.

We are thinking of a Land Cruiser with a roof tent with ladder and some sort of awning to the side. I haven't really looked into the matter that deeply yet, so that's just going off photos I have seen on blogs of world-travelling families.

Now, I am overwhelmed by the different models and series Land Cruiser have. Can you guys maybe break it down a little what the main differences are? Which one would suit us best? What is iimportant to keep in mind?

My better half is a qualified motorcycle engineer and welder, so he knows his technical stuff and can do a lot himself. Obviously, a car is different to a bike, but he is confident he can pick a lot up and the basics are already there :)

So at the moment I'm thinking, the cars has to have doors in the rear for the kids to climb in and out. We'd need ample storage space (luggage, gear, kitchen...). We'd like a Diesel. That's about it so far :)

I am really curious as to what you guys come back with. Thanks again in advance and please excuse my non-native english :)

Cheers!

Scat Adams

Observer
I think a 100 series or even a GX470/Prado would be your best bet with the kids, also its much easier to find clean 100's than 80's these days. Good luck, cheers!

brentbba

Explorer
Diesel 80 which is available everywhere except the USA. If you really want to learn everything LandCruiser, I suggest also checking out IH8MUD. There are international sections on that board that may have more info than this Landcruiser section here. You can't beat Toyota quality, reliability and parts availability worldwide.

Elsie3

I would seek out a fellow forum member with a screen name of 4x4tripping who is around the corner from you in Zurick and if he is amenable go visit. There is also a Mongolian based member here somewhere. We had quite an active LC cadre in Germany for years but I fear my contacts have long since faded.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/95051-Transafrica-with-a-Land-Cruiser-200-(Diesel)

The last time I was in NZ they spoke English---kinda. If you decide to keep a thread going put Mongolia in the Subject line as that will immediately attract those few that might otherwise skip over a thread. IMHO of course.

Ciao

lugueto

Adventurer
Do you wish to buy new or used?

What LC models did you have available in Austria?

We can use those as baseline questions to tailor what is best for you and your family!

KiwiChick

The last time I was in NZ they spoke English---kinda.

Ciao

Haha that made me giggle. That's exactly what they still speak down there. Imagine my messed up accent, german native speaker with a kiwi twang. Choice bro!

Anyways, thanks heaps for your brilliant input so far! Wow!

What's the difference between a 100 and a 80 series?

We will definitely buy a used one, and it needs to be a Diesel.

I found this one for example, but I can't seem to find out what series it is. It's an auto, which is highly unusual for Austria, and we'd want a manual for sure.
Hm, the board says I'm not allowed to post links, so 'm trying to attach a screenshot.

Most of the LCs I've seen here are like this black one, the smaller one LC big.jpgLC small.jpg
with no doors in the back. Highly impractical with kids.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
that's the Prado badged version in other countrys......its a light weight version in comparison to an 80 series or 100 series......not saying it wont make it.....but they have a lighter weight running gear, difs axles etc etc

Dream overland truck....
http://www.toyota-gib.com/eng/model...-cruiser-78-hardtop-6-seater-HZJ78-RJMRS.html

100 series LC 4.2 TD
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...and_cruiser_amazon&quicksearch=true&logcode=p

80 series
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...and_cruiser_amazon&quicksearch=true&logcode=p

I'd add the Nissan Patrol LWB to the equation too...as they are just about the same Y61

not that I'm biased or anything..

DSC_4362.jpg

Elsie3

Hi everyone,

So at the moment I'm thinking, the cars has to have doors in the rear for the kids to climb in and out. We'd need ample storage space (luggage, gear, kitchen...). We'd like a Diesel. That's about it so far :)

Cheers!

Here is a synopsis. If by 'doors' you mean what are referred to as ambulance doors then your options shrink dramatically. But I understand your logic. Kids however are frightfully agile and might negotiate the hatch version nimbly and you might appreciate the 'tailgate.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser

Ha. I am native English speaker with a distinct Rhineland slur in my German.

Ciao

lugueto

Adventurer
The pictures you posted are 90 series Land Cruiser Prados. I've had both 4 door and 2 door, manual and auto, 4cyl and V6. They're awesome, I love mine. However, they are lighter duty mechanically than both the 80 series and the 100 series. They are mechanically the same as the same-year 4runners. If you plan on using them for expedition style travelling, they will work perfectly. They're very reliable, they've never let me down.

At the moment I have an 80 series and a 2 door 90 series parked in my garage. I used to have the 4 door 95 series, back then we also had the 80 and I can give you direct comparisons. The 95 is faster, more comfortable and has more useable space inside. The upholstery is cheaper but the seats are way more comfortable. The 80 is much more robust, less comfortable and even though the 95 had more space, the 80 is still cavernous.

You can also set the 80 up to carry more weight "safely" and be more negligent with maintenance, but I would recommend you keep both of these down to a minimum.

Last edited:

gerardines

Observer
Actually I believe that the best platform for an overland vehicle is the Land Cruiser 105 series (like a 100 with live axle in front)
It's a very comfortable vehicle, very well built tough as hell and spares as accessories every where ...

This is not my build, but kind of taking it as an example for mine

http://reviews.drom.ru/toyota/land_cruiser/38649/

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
The 105 was never sold in europe....middle east was the closest area they were sold in to Austria

105= a rough duty version of the 100 series with basicly 80 series underneath with the 100 series body on top

lugueto

Adventurer
105= a rough duty version of the 100 series with basicly 80 series underneath with the 100 series body on top

Agreed. The gas engine in it is actually the last version of the 1FZ-FE, which is coil ignited, and is shared only with the 70 series LC. This means it shares parts with both the 80 series and the 70 series regardless of the model year.

I have absolutely no knowledge on diesel LC's, i'm not sure the OP is looking for a diesel engine.

fullybalanced

Too many plans, not enough time
The 105 was never sold in europe....middle east was the closest area they were sold in to Austria

i'd buy that for a dollar!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998