which newer full size 1/2 ton is the best overland platform

Theoretician

Adventurer
I got an F150 for the purpose, with the heavy duty payload package. Get about 19mpg average so far, and a 3000lb payload rating for a future FWC, with a factory rear locker.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Coming up on one year with my 2016 XLT 3.5 Ecoboost. Most amazing truck I've ever owned - and I've owned a few in the 70 years I've been on this earth. Not one single problem to report so far. Overall fuel mileage for the past year has been 20.6 mpg - and that's coming from the Excel spreadsheet I enter all the data into, not the lie-o-meter in the dash. That engine, the way it pulls, is amazing to me. Just like the Cummins diesel in my dually, it puts out so much torque down low that the tranny rarely needs to shift when going over mountain passes. Came up over Monarch Pass (11,312 feet) in Colorado a couple weeks ago and to that engine it might as well still have been crossing the Kansas plains. Never broke a sweat.

Kingsize24

I personally think if I absolutely had to have a 1/2 ton with the current generations out now, it would be a 5.0 F-150 4x4 e-locker.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I'm pretty happy with my Titan XD Diesel. They are considering it a 5/8 ton truck or heavy half. For me it fit my needs perfect. I bought it to tow my off road rig (2010 Nissan Frontier) and daily drive, with plans to do a mild expo build. I get 20-24 highway and 16-19 mixed driving. I got the pro-4x which comes with a rear locker, bilstein shocks and one or two decent skid plates.I just added a 2" lift and some 33" Duratracs that I had laying around, but plan to go to a 35-37" tire.View attachment 398587

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it in there literature rated as a 5/8 ton?

yarden

Observer
I went from a 2010 F250 to my current 2013 F150 and have had zero regrets and not looked back. I bought a Platinum with the 6.2L BOSS, so not only one of the most reliable (yet old school simple) motors... no turbos to worry about anymore. In addition have the factory locker. Another plus is tons more room inside the cab compared to the F250. The truck has been just awesome and fuel mileage is better!

sunnypruit

Correct that it's slang. They say that because it's built on an HD frame, has similar Aisin tranny that Ram 3500 has, 2500 rear axle and 1 ton steering. A lot of the guys towing large trailers are using airbags. I towed about 10,000 (trailer and off road truck ) and the truck didn't squat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I went from Dodge diesel to Tundra and have never looked back

That would probably be my choice if I chucked the Ram. Aside from abysmal towing mileage,they seem quick and reliable. I met a Canuck in a Yosemite campground. He averaged 7-8 mpg towing a trailer that he said maxed out the specs. He asked me why the truck swayed so much towing.Toyota provided specially valved Bilstein and then supplied P rated passenger tires as most 1/2 tons do. He was heading down the mountain to the west to a Les Schwab for some decent shoes.

D45

Explorer
I went from a 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4...........3500 (SRW), 8' bed, with the 5.9L Cummins, 6" lift on 37s

The truck was a beast, went through everything........depending on the time of year, how much it idled, and what level tune I was running I was getting 16.8-18.5 mpgs

I sold it and bought a used (17,000 miles) 2012 Ford F150 Super Crew, 6.5' bed, 4x4, 3.5L Ecoboost

The truck has an amazingly high tow rating, due to the Max Tow package and also a great payload for a half ton.........I had 2400+ in the bed and the truck did GREAT

The truck is loaded, basically every option Ford offered, the truck has it

I love the rear locker, especially being able to use it in 2WD is really nice

With 3.73s and 34" tires, I think the gas mileage is HORRIBLE..........ranging from 13 to 15 mpgs

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My neighbor's got the 3.5 Ecoboost,2wd with stock size Michelins.
Combined city/highway is 15 mpg. He expected more.
I can't imagine what those turbos cost to replace.

Dalko43

Explorer
My neighbor's got the 3.5 Ecoboost,2wd with stock size Michelins.
Combined city/highway is 15 mpg. He expected more.
I can't imagine what those turbos cost to replace.

The key to getting good mpg's with a turbo gasoline engine is getting up to speed and then cruising without too much pedal work. You start digging into the pedal, either to accelerate or tow, ect. and the mpg's start to tank. You take it easy going 40mph or even 65mph on some country road, and yeah getting +20mpg with something like a 3.5L v6 ecoboost is feasible. But realistically speaking, how many of us are going to drive with perfect efficiency like that?

As innovative as Ford's 3.5l V6 is, I still think a comparable v6 diesel or even a light duty diesel v8 is going to return better much better mpg's, with similar torque. I am eager to see if there is any validity to the rumors concerning Ford's upcoming V6 diesel for the F-150.

rruff

Explorer
That would probably be my choice if I chucked the Ram. Aside from abysmal towing mileage,they seem quick and reliable. I met a Canuck in a Yosemite campground. He averaged 7-8 mpg towing a trailer that he said maxed out the specs. He asked me why the truck swayed so much towing.Toyota provided specially valved Bilstein and then supplied P rated passenger tires as most 1/2 tons do. He was heading down the mountain to the west to a Les Schwab for some decent shoes.

It thought the Tundra accelerated significantly better than Ford or GM with the V8s. With 5k miles my worst tank was over 15mpg, and best was over 18, more often the latter. P rated tires are for MPG and a smooth ride, but useless for loads and offroad.

I got it for reliability, resale, and low sales price. It was a few thousand cheaper than I could have bought a comparable Ford or GM.

malibubts

Adventurer
The key to getting good mpg's with a turbo gasoline engine is getting up to speed and then cruising without too much pedal work. You start digging into the pedal, either to accelerate or tow, ect. and the mpg's start to tank. You take it easy going 40mph or even 65mph on some country road, and yeah getting +20mpg with something like a 3.5L v6 ecoboost is feasible. But realistically speaking, how many of us are going to drive with perfect efficiency like that?

As innovative as Ford's 3.5l V6 is, I still think a comparable v6 diesel or even a light duty diesel v8 is going to return better much better mpg's, with similar torque. I am eager to see if there is any validity to the rumors concerning Ford's upcoming V6 diesel for the F-150.
It's not just a rumor, Ford has announced the diesel is coming. Speculation is that it will be a 3.0L similar to or the Lion engine used in the Range Rovers. Ram's 3.0L is rated for 19/29 with 25 combined. I'd imagine Ford will be very close to this.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

rruff

Explorer
As innovative as Ford's 3.5l V6 is, I still think a comparable v6 diesel or even a light duty diesel v8 is going to return better much better mpg's, with similar torque.

They will do better on MPG, but it does not make a lot of sense IMO. Torque might be up there, but you will miss the HP. You'll get maybe 30-50% better mpg, but pay more for the fuel, pay more upfront (and not get it back), and have the long term longevity issues with modern US diesels (unless you delete the emissions). And forget about using it in most foreign countries.

Dalko43

Explorer
They will do better on MPG, but it does not make a lot of sense IMO. Torque might be up there, but you will miss the HP. You'll get maybe 30-50% better mpg, but pay more for the fuel, pay more upfront (and not get it back), and have the long term longevity issues with modern US diesels (unless you delete the emissions). And forget about using it in most foreign countries.

Diesel fuel isn't that much more expensive than regular gasoline where I live. You definitely deal with less depreciation with a diesel variant of a truck vs a gasoline variant, so the higher upfront cost has some justification. And if we're being honest with ourselves, how many of us are truly planning on travelling with our vehicles outside of North America? I know we see a lot of trip reports on here about that, but for most of us with 9-5 jobs, its a dream more than it is a reality. That and other countries will inevitably start upgrading their fuel to deal with the newer engines as they become more prevalent in the global market.

Longevity might be an issue, if you don't delete. Also a delete would likely solve the previously mentioned fuel problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger