which newer full size 1/2 ton is the best overland platform

rruff

Explorer
my point was that diesel trucks, for the most part, maintain more of their value on the used market compared to gasoline-variant truck.

We must have a different definition of what "maintain value" means. To me that means the difference between sale and resale is less. A drop from $35k to $20k would be better than a drop from $40k to $24k for instance.

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
I will agree that a diesel built prior to the current Urea emissions systems holds value like CRAZY now!!!! My 2007 Duramax Silverado Classic sells for as much now as it would have in 2011 when I traded it in!!!! (even with the mileage I would have added in the meantime!) Too early to tell yet if the newer rigs will hold value the same!

As for the offroad capability off diesels, yes, a diesel with an empty bed will be VERY forward biased weight wise. That will effect its capability. That being said, there are plenty of VERY offroad capable diesel rig builds. In the case of an overland build, that initial front heavy weight distribution can be helpful as there are folks that have found themselves with almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution by the time they add their trays, campers, water supply, etc.

For the kind of wheeling I enjoy, a half ton holds no appeal to me whatsoever anymore. Older half tons were great when they were solid axle rigs and you could easily upgrade to the durability of one ton axles under them. But now, all the half tons are IFS and that makes swapping to one ton solid axles a pricey proposition! (before someone says "but wait, didn't you JUST say you had an IFS diesel rig???" yup, I did! BUT, it was my tow pig for taking my one ton solid axle equipped GMC Jimmy K5 to the trails. My Duramax only saw dirt if a parking lot happened to be muddy) So (to me) a half ton rig is a heavy full size truck body sitting on a spindly IFS frontend and a semifloater rearend. (both featuring a max of 6 lugs) I went with a softly spring 3/4 ton in the form of a 2012 Power Wagon. I get a ride that's not far from that of a half ton but with real 8 lug full floater solid axles underneath it. Also, it has an actual lever for the t-case!!! I haven't even seen a half ton recently that has a lever for the t-case. Maybe you can still get them???? None of the dealers around me ever stock them.

Of the current crop of half tons, I guess I'd pick the F-150 with a crew cab and the 5.0L. (assuming you can get a lever for the transfer case) I would say the Ram 1500 but, I am not enamored with the dial shifter for the transmission. BUT, by the time I'd think about spending the $$$ on the F-150, I'd rather just pony up some extra $$$ and get a base model crew cab shortbed 6.2L F-350 and put a Carli suspension under it for a smoother ride. (since I will admit, an HD truck (other than the Power Wagon) rides like a rock!) The styling and exterior dimensions of the F-150 vs the F-350 are dang near identical anyway (crew cab shortbed vs crew cab shortbed), other than height! Of the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, my preference is Ram (obviously) but the Super Duty is a close second!!!

I 100% get the half ton truck as a hauling vehicle for trips to Lowe's and stuff like that (stuff that a car or SUV would be a PITA to use for- like my buddy just got his Tundra for home improvement trips)- as an on road hauling vehicle. Or, I definitely can see using a half ton full size for work for like a sign company or something like that, where you need the full size space to haul around heavy items but the don't weigh a lot. But for a vehicle that I would build for offroad (and long trips offroad with a lot of heavy gear), a half ton pickup doesn't jive for me.

The only full size half tons I've owned have been SUVs: 87 GMC Jimmy (bought mostly stock, built it with 350,sm465, 203/205 doubler, Dana 60, 14bff), 2012 Yukon (wife's old SUV, never saw dirt), 2013 Yukon XL Denali (wife's new SUV will never see dirt) I wanted to talk her into a 2500 Yukon XL but she wanted the Denali so, 1500 chassis was the required way to go.

(NOTE: yes, I realize that my Power Wagon's listed payload capacity is actually lower than that of MANY half tons but, in terms of drivetrain strength, frame strength and offroad capability, it is way ahead of any of them, as it is 3/4 ton based. (other than the Raptor but, the Raptor is built for high speed vs the Wagon is built more squarely aimed at the low speed crawling I enjoy))

Sorry to step on any toes, I'm just not a fan of half ton full sizes. Your results may vary!

Dalko43

Explorer
We must have a different definition of what "maintain value" means. To me that means the difference between sale and resale is less. A drop from $35k to $20k would be better than a drop from $40k to $24k for instance.

I suppose you could go research the actual MSRP's for both diesel and gasoline variants of the same pickup and compare those numbers to their current values on Auto trader instead of throwing out hypothetical scenarios. The Ram 2500/3500 is a pickup I've researched quite a bit as I'm possibly looking to buy one in the future. What I've observed is that Ram's with the 5.9L Cummins fetches a much higher resale price compared to gasoline variants with similar options/packages and mileage (that price gap can be as high as $10k). Now granted, the Ram 5.9L had a higher starting MSRP vs the gasoline variant, but not to the tune of $10k higher.

My point is, I've researched the price movements of some of these pickup's, and what I've found is that you will get more of your money back with a diesel vs a gasoline on the used market. Ergo, the diesel trucks, generally-speaking, depreciate less.

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
I suppose you could go research the actual MSRP's for both diesel and gasoline variants of the same pickup and compare those numbers to their current values on Auto trader instead of throwing out hypothetical scenarios. The Ram 2500/3500 is a pickup I've researched quite a bit as I'm possibly looking to buy one in the future. What I've observed is that Ram's with the 5.9L Cummins fetches a much higher resale price compared to gasoline variants with similar options/packages and mileage (that price gap can be as high as $10k). Now granted, the Ram 5.9L had a higher starting MSRP vs the gasoline variant, but not to the tune of $10k higher.

My point is, I've researched the price movements of some of these pickup's, and what I've found is that you will get more of your money back with a diesel vs a gasoline on the used market. Ergo, the diesel trucks, generally-speaking, depreciate less.

What I have seen in resale values (most notably in pre- Urea emission systems diesels) completely supports this conclusion!!! The most noticeable are the early (first and especially second gen) Cummins, the 2006-2007 Cummins AND Duramax, and the 2003 and older 7.3L Fords.

Smoky

Observer
Most people will promote what they have, and that's fine, but I think the differences between the various full size trucks are marginal...they all 'work.' Get what YOU like and don't look back.

D45

Explorer
The pedal commander is going to drop your mileage a bit, but there has to be something else going on.
What do you think is attributing to your poor fuel economy. Other's seem to be getting pretty decent mileage (16+ combined), so I'm interested to hear your thoughts.
Do you have a catch can installed for your PCV system? If so, how often do you need to drain it?

I do not have a catch can............the horrible fuel mileage was NOT affected by the Pedal Commander

It was horrible before the PC and still horrible after I installed it

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I do not have a catch can............the horrible fuel mileage was NOT affected by the Pedal Commander

It was horrible before the PC and still horrible after I installed it

Would be interesting to see how much blow by you get between oil changes.
What made you decide to install the pedal commander? What were you looking for that the stock algorithm didn't provide?

D45

Explorer
Would be interesting to see ho? w much blow by you get between oil changes.
What made you decide to install the pedal commander? What were you looking for that the stock algorithm didn't provide?

Wanted better throttle response, the delay was really bad

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
Thanks for lots of good discussion so far. I went and drove some f150's. If I get one it will prob be screw, 3.73, e locker, 5.0 engine. I am having second thoughts on getting rid of my ram now. It only has 62k on it but I am at appoint where the front end is really loose. either I go for 1/2 ton or dive in with this one and put on a carli suspension and 35's. I would love to put lockers in this one but don't see many people doing that, any reason other than cost. A power wagon would be great but this is my daily driver and I don't want 10mpg. I average around 18 combined with my diesel.

I was going to suggest a Power Wagon, but if you drive a lot the fuel economy may get old. I'm averaging around 12mpg in town, but I average around 8,000 miles a year, so I pay no attention to the fuel economy. It's possible the newer Wagons with the 6.4L Hemi and 4.10 gears get better fuel economy than my 5.7L with 4.56 gears, but I'm not sure how much better they do.

WahooJeep

Observer
I was going to suggest a Power Wagon, but if you drive a lot the fuel economy may get old. I'm averaging around 12mpg in town, but I average around 8,000 miles a year, so I pay no attention to the fuel economy. It's possible the newer Wagons with the 6.4L Hemi and 4.10 gears get better fuel economy than my 5.7L with 4.56 gears, but I'm not sure how much better they do.

Not any better. 2017 Power Wagon getting 12mpg in town. I only log about 9000 miles a year, so not a big deal for me either.

dave1014

Adventurer
3.5L Eco has great features, great ride quality, gobs of HP and TQ, and the fit and finish is also great

However, the fuel mileage is not even subpar......its horrible

Weird. Ive averaged 18 with mine on 33s with 3.55s

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I have 3.73s and 34s.......13.5 MPG

I've been doing a lot of research, as I'm very interested in this truck. Weeding out all the stuff that is unbelievable in both directions, your fuel mileage does seem quite a bit below the average.
If it were my truck, I'd definitely be concerned.
Bummer, because your truck is definitely setup great. Hope you can figure it out. :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger