Which oil filter for 1989 1st gen hilux surf?

grease line

This is ridiculous, but I'm a fairly new owner of a first gen 2.4 turbo diesel surf, and I can't find out which oil filter to use! Kind of a hassle taking it off and bringing it to the auto parts store...

Someone said a Luberfiner LFP 5971, but it looks different from the one I have on.

Anyone?

I'm in North America if that makes a difference.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Firstly, my condolences, what a horrible little engine.

PH8A would be the Fram number for a NA spec 2LT. It used to be about the most common filter on the shelves. That number should work for your JDM? unit as well.

grease line

Why is the engine that bad? Curious...I know there is not much power, but other than that, all I've heard is that they're extremely reliable. The head on mine is not a problem. It is very efficient.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Why is the engine that bad? Curious...I know there is not much power, but other than that, all I've heard is that they're extremely reliable. The head on mine is not a problem. It is very efficient.

How do you know your head is not a problem? Because it isn't broken yet? Drive up the Coquihala or from Lethbridge to Medicine Hat bucking a headwind and the next thread will be about your 2lt woes.

I'm truly sorry to be the bearer of bad news and if I seem blunt it is because I have seen more 2LT failures than any other engine and even my own German spec unit needed two heads in its first ten years and I keep meeting good people who get screwed by unscrupulous importers.

grease line

I don't think the head is a problem because when I bought it, the previous owner had just put a good head on. It had not cracked - this was preventive.

I then took it to Tony at Alltoy 4x4 in Kamloops and asked him if the head was a problem head. He said no, it isn't, if anything goes on that engine it will be the valve seats.

Either way, with a pyrometer and non-hard driving, I'm not expecting any problems.

I will swallow my pride and post here if the head cracks!!! haha

Thx for your 'concern'.

Psilosin

My '89 Surf was a 2nd gen...so do you have the removable roof (gen1) or not (gen2)? If its a Gen2 you likely have the 2LTII engine which uses the LARGE and expensive oil filter which is part number 90915-30002. Gen1 Surfs use the older 2LT and use the common and cheap PH8A filter (ie Ford Mustang and a million other vehicles).

The 2LT(II/E) has a lot of haters...most are just regurgitating what others have told them. I haven't had to put a dollar into engine repairs into either of my Surfs since I got the first one back in 2004. And I've been over the Coquihalla many many times as well as the Rogers pass...just take it easy up the long hills. You said you already have a pyrometer so you are already armed with the best tool to monitor your engine.

Post some pics of your Surf. :victory:

grease line

My surf is the 1989 first gen, with the removable roof. Cheers for the tip on oil filters...I actually ended up with the PH637 today (= 90915-30002 and 90915-30001 they say), will have to return it for the PH8A.

Yeah, there is alot of stuff on the web re. bad heads, pretty confusing unless you are pretty familiar with surfs. Good to hear someone thinks the pyro is a very good idea. Any other tips for protecting this investment?

Here's some pics. I love the looks of it!
25003_340881020758_513125758_4159501_5598662_n.jpg

25003_340880960758_513125758_4159499_2989416_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears