Which one would you get?

Bullseye240

Adventurer
So I have a unique opportunity before me. I just relocated to Naples Italy and will return to the States in a few years. At that time I can bring back one vehicle with me. So this begs the question, which one? I have been thinking about a Pajero or Trooper or a Crusier, each a turbo diesel of course. Need help in identifying the different models of each, which options to look for and if anyone knows where to get one in good shape. Any help would be apprecieated.

AndrewP

Explorer
Euro spec 80 series would be pretty nice, or a newish HZJ7x pick up or troopy. How much money do you have for this? Toyota Gibraltar gets the really cool trucks and I would start there.

I don't know if they sell real HiLux's in Europe, but they are sweet with that D4d motor and get excellent fuel economy.

Brian894x4

Explorer
Does the vehicle you bring back have to meet U.S. emissions and DOT requirements? I've heard of the idea that people from overseas can bring a vehicle back but getting it registered, regardless of how you got it in the country would be another thing. I'm just guessing, but I think what you're able to bypass is federal customs. The registration thing is a state by state deal and that might be tougher to get around.

Whatever you got, I'd make it a diesel. That would make it priceless if you ever decide to sell it here. I'd probably also go as new as you can to make it more likely to meet modern U.S. vehicle standards and less hassle getting it registered.

Something like a fairly new 100 series diesel sounds appealing. Land Cruisers are fairly limited in Europe. That was never a hot market for them. Maybe you could get a Middle Eastern version.

While I say diesel, A Middle Eastern 105 with solid axles and the upgraded version of the 1FZ sounds REALLY appealing to me. Maybe even one with a supercharger. Hmmmmmm.

Last edited:

Bullseye240

Adventurer
Does the vehicle you bring back have to meet U.S. emissions and DOT requirements? I've heard of the idea that people from overseas can bring a vehicle back but getting it registered, regardless of how you got it in the country would be another thing. I'm just guessing, but I think what you're able to bypass is federal customs. The registration thing is a state by state deal and that might be tougher to get around.

Whatever you got, I'd make it a diesel. That would make it priceless if you ever decide to sell it here. I'd probably also go as new as you can to make it more likely to meet modern U.S. vehicle standards and less hassle getting it registered.

Something like a fairly new 100 series diesel sounds appealing. Land Cruisers are fairly limited in Europe. That was never a hot market for them. Maybe you could get a Middle Eastern version.

While I say diesel, A Middle Eastern 105 with solid axles and the upgraded version of the 1FZ sounds REALLY appealing to me. Maybe even one with a supercharger. Hmmmmmm.

I have to check but I think as long as I get one that is 25 years old or older then I can bring it back as an antique and skip the federal stuff. I do plan on getting a diesel as I used to be a diesel tech and have been around them my whole life. In fact my DD back home is a 94 fullsize Balzer with a 6.5 turbo diesel that has 250,000 miles on it now and climbing, so much for that junk 6.5 never lasting. Thanks and keep the ideas coming.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I would bring back a 70 series with a diesel....if you can even get it in.

My first choice though would be a Nissan Patrol with a diesel.

Anything newer than 25yrs old I am doubting you can get in the USA legally. It has been done though because there are a few in the country....how they got in legally beats me.

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
At 25 years old ,you are looking at a fairly old 7* series with either a 2H ,3B or L series engine(forget the L series engine)
The other option will be a 6* series and I would aim for a HJ61 with a 12HT.

Another and possibly better option would be to source a 1HD T engine and
H151 5 speed from an 80 series and install it into an american landcruser when you get home.
The 1HD T was the last of the truly one wire turbo diesels,anything newer gets more complicated

el_jefe

Federal certification is a *****. I'd get a 25 year old chassis, and sort it out with a newer drivetrain while you are there. I wish I had "snuck" the TD engine into my 4 runner while I was in Europe.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I will second the motion to avoid "LJ" cruisers. They are not the real cruiser. Any of the 3B, 13BT 4 cyl or 1HDT or 12HT 6cyl models will be a great truck. An 80 series with the diesel would be my choice.

So I have a unique opportunity before me. I just relocated to Naples Italy and will return to the States in a few years. At that time I can bring back one vehicle with me. So this begs the question, which one? I have been thinking about a Pajero or Trooper or a Crusier, each a turbo diesel of course. Need help in identifying the different models of each, which options to look for and if anyone knows where to get one in good shape. Any help would be apprecieated.

Get the newest lowest mile Cruiser you can get... Cruisers are worth much more stateside or anywhere really then Pajeros or Troopers... the other thing that could be nice to get would be a 1984 Land Rover 110.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998