which one?

7echo

Adventurer
In the fall I will be buying a vehicle. I want something that is OK for some off road use, but not tricked out to the extreme. We (me, wife and 7 yo son) are going to start doing more traveling. Probably a mix of camping/hotel trips to state parks, national forests, national parks, etc. I am thinking used, open bed truck with a topper, but will consider suv style trucks as well. Don't require 4wd, but will probably tote a winch. Will maybe tow a trailer, might even get a small fiberglass egg style camper. What year, model, options should I consider?
So, please give me some options, point me to some threads, render opinions, etc. I have been searching and reading, great site!

Since you posted this in the Toyota section are you only looking for Toyota's? That is pretty broad because for the most part they are all really good.

Anything in particular interests you?

Tacoma, 4runner, Tundra...?

If your looking for a truck, any year double cab Tacoma would be great. A pre 07 Tundra would be good too. New Tundras are great, but a little large.

Last edited:

7echo

Adventurer
I would love to have a Tundra, but I figure the cost, comparing similar years/mileage/options will be significantly more than a Tacoma. Enough difference to pay for the mods on a Tacoma.
Like you mentioned, any Toyota is probably fine. Just looking for the 'if you have 10k to 15k to spend this is the best truck' consensus, which probably does not exist : )
Hopefully, some comments here will help me narrow the focus.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
With the 7 year old you would presumably need a 4 dr. For your budget you could get yourself in 2000-2004 Tacoma double cab, or a 3rd generation (1996 - 2002) 4Runner, or a Land Cruiser (80 series or early 100 series).

Do you have any other requirements for fuel economy, manual vs. auto, tire size, locking diff, etc.?

You said "open bed truck with topper", which sort of narrows you down to a Tacoma. Plenty of examples of nice Tacomas here in this section - a perfect platform for what you seek.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
2001-2004 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road.

End of thread. :D

4Runners (96-02) would be good, too, unless you need/want a truck bed. IMO, the Land Cruisers are too much for what you want to do. Plus, the MPG is much worse, not to mention the cost to maintain.

Here is a nice 4Runner Highlander Ed. posted in the classifieds. Wrong coast, though.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22532

Or here is a sweet low-mileage 04 Tacoma DC:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823

Last edited:

Photog

Explorer
You say you don't require 4wd; but will have a winch. I will then assume you will probably need some ground clearance. In a 2wd truck, I would recommend one of the PreRunners.

Something to consider, with the economy down, SUV's are seen as unnecessary; but a truck still has fairly high demand. This lowers the resale price of the SUV's. You can easily buy a late 90's 4X4 4Runner, for less than a 4X4 Tacoma.

And a 1996-1997 FZJ80 are running $6k-$9k.

Last edited:

7echo

Adventurer
Hey IH8RDS, Thanks for the thread.
Reading that got me to consider a Landcruiser, but when I checked the fuel mileage-whoa! I am going to post a similar question in that forum if I decide to pursue one of those.
Jacket- yes, 4 doors are best for us. I was thinking open bed with topper initially, but an SUV style would work fine. I want an auto tranny for this truck.
Probably do a little lift, bigger tires, some other mods. But, I don't want/need a full blown off road trail rig/rock crawler. Needs to be a dependable, comfortable, travel rig.
Cackalak Han- I have been looking here and other places and posted here because I was leaning towards a Tacoma. I think a 4 door Tacoma would work well. Just need to do some research-what is the difference in a Pre-Runner and normal Tacoma?
Photog-Yes, the market for SUVs makes them attractive. And the Landcruisers are good looking trucks to me. I assume the Tacoma/4 Runners are more dependable and less expensive to repair than the 'cruisers?
Thanks for the comments!

inked33

Adventurer
you mentioned you might be pulling a trailer. how much weight and how big of a trailer or camper are you going to tow? also have to take into account the loaded weight and not just the dry weight of the camper your going to be towing. personally id go with a fullsize truck if you plan on towing.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Prerunner=2wd with a "4wd stance." Personally I don't see any reason to get a prerunner. You don't save any in the mpg area, and you don't get 4wd and low range.

As far as dependability goes, Land cruisers are on par with the 3.4 Tacos and 4Runners. They've both proven themselves reliable up over 200k miles. But for parts and maintenance, the Cruiser will be more expensive.

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
I boought my 2004 Tundra used for around 16K wiuth 60K miles on it. It is 4x4 and has the TRD Off Road package. Something like that may work for you. Also, if you are looking used and do not want to get too crazy with the mods an older Sequoia may work very well for you.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
With a family I prefer the 4Runner SUV design. Unless you have a need for hauling and need the PU bed. My son is driving my old 90 4Runner with about 300K on it now and my 04 has given me no problems. Great comfortable ride for a small family.

A friend is looking at a 04 4Runner sport with the V8 with only 40K miles on it now for $16K so they be found in close to the range you are looking for.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Cackalak Han- I have been looking here and other places and posted here because I was leaning towards a Tacoma. I think a 4 door Tacoma would work well. Just need to do some research-what is the difference in a Pre-Runner and normal Tacoma?

Prerunners are 2WD. Surprisingly, there have been quite a few 4 door Tacoma's that have popped up for a good price lately. Check craigslist and such. That white one I posted with the shell seems like it's in great shape.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
IMO it's hard to beat the 3rd gen 4Runner. Factory rear locker, 3.4L V6, drives well on the highway and very very capable off road. They're really hard to beat in terms of a mid sized suv. If you want even more power to tow, the 4th gen has the V8 option again a factory locker and is a little bigger I belive.

They are definatly different beasts than the older gen 4 Runners like mine though, very nicely apointed and very comfy where as I basicly have a P/U with a pass through and a back seat.

Cheers

Dave

7echo

Adventurer
I hadn't considered the Tundra as much of an option due to the price, but I will see what they are in 9 months.
In the mean time I think I will investigate the 3rd gen 4runner and see where that leads.
What were the motor options for the 3rd gen 4runner?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan