Which side are shore power and water hookups usually, driver or passenger? Do camp spots have a standard?

Dave in AZ

As title says. Adding shore power to my truck camper, trying to decide which side will be generally more common.

gdaut

On my camper (Nimbl), the shore power is on the driver's side, and the water intake is passenger side. Both are at the front of the camper, a "truck camper" style that sits on a flatbed, so they end up mid-way down the vehicle length. I have not found a standard placement of the electric box in campgrounds (and I have never hooked up to water in a campground), but that may be because sometimes you back in and sometimes you pull in straight. So, I think that it does not matter which side the shore power inlet on the camper is. I would put it closest to where the batteries and inverter are in the camper, and I would put those so as to minimize the length of wire runs (or just where they will fit).

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Not sure about a 'standard ',however if it's on the driver's side it will be far easier to fine tune parking when hooking up power and sewer.

lucilius

On a really large RV, I might want to stick to the left/right configuration mentioned above re hookup location. On a DIY truck camper, I would put the hookups wherever they are most sensible given your camper systems design. E.g. for water, I would personally prioritize resistance to freezing, ease of filling, access to pipes for repairs, etc. Extending electricity and/or water hookup isn't that difficult on a vehicle that size and, if your experience is anything like mine, you will have a bit of flexibility in your parking orientation given the smaller vehicle size that allows you to make the most of the site (privacy, light, views, etc) in ways the big RV's can't.

TwinStick

Explorer
Yes, this is a concern of ours too. In NY STATE it seems to be common for drivers side.

Many RV manufacturers use what ever they decide for what whatever reason. But also in NY STATE we have noticed that many Campgrounds dictate which way the camper can face and which way your vehicle can face. Yes, they are getting that petty here. So if your hookup is on the wrong side, it can certainly catch you off guard. We camped at 1 place that said it had electric but upon arrival, the plug in for the electricity was 100+' away. Of course they had a 100' , 10/3 extension cord that "you could rent for $100 down an additional $30 per day !" You get your $100 back after you give it back.

I have also seen many campers & RVs that vent the exhaust fan for stove, hot water heater and furnace all on the same side as the awning. That's just stupid, pure and simple. Nobody wants to sit with those things blowing on you or near you in the summer or the winter. Some designs make you just shake your head.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Also keep in mind that you may want to park the opposite direction, if it isnt a pull-thru site.
The few times that we use a campground, Im typically backed in, to isolate us just that much more from any passer-by.

Deleted Member 183

We use Casa as our guest house when she is "in port", so I think a "4x4 condominium" owners best bet is setting up the vehicle's shore power connections that work the best for being at home. In the past we have gone months at a time "off the grid", so if we were to end up in an established camp ground... The point is mute.

Last edited:

BuckinghamBuilt

Drivers side for North America (left hand drive) if you're ever planning to plug into shore power for two reasons in my opinion. First is the RV park pedestals are on that side and secondly (the most important) is as a driver if you look in your rear view mirror you can quickly see if you're still plugged in before driving away and causing damage.

Florida Native

Driver’s side for sure. If you will never camp in a campground and will never sell or pass the vehicle down, then do whatever you want. Anything other than driver’s side makes no sense to me, but I frequent campgrounds and can’t imagine anyone who does wanting the hookups anywhere except driver’s side.

When I see “professional” van conversions with hookups (electric and/or city water hose connection) on the passenger side, that says the builder is a hack to me.

-Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior