Which Tacoma should I be looking for?

BrocNessMonster

Guys,

I'm sure this one has been posted in one form or another on here, and I looked like hell for it to no avail. I'd been planning on selling my house and moving into a van full time but that never happened, so now I'm aiming for a sick daily driver/overlander Tacoma. I have an '01 now, but it's 2WD and automatic so I'm going to finally hand that off to a family member.

As you all now there are 3 TRDs out there now (2016-2019) and I'm looking for a used one I can build into an overlander.

I don't want a full on $90K Tacoma, long travel and all that, and I'm not going to live in it. But I'd like to be comfy for week or two long trips, and I'd like to be able to get around mostly anywhere I want. Doesn't everyone? I know. Ha. Anyways, after putting in months of van research, I'm hoping you all can just get me pointed in the right direction here instead of the same lengthy process the van was taking.

1) Which of these 3 TRDs would I want? Which one will I end up taking the least amount of stuff off of? I don't want to spend extra on a certain model and then take all the unique stuff it comes with off. I'm going to replace the bumpers and all that, right? I don't care about cool factory wheels if I'm going to just put some Methods on there.

2) Do I want the extended or crew? I'm guessing crew as I can use the extra inside space.

3) Pretty sure I want manual shift, right? Seems obvious to me but if anyone has a different opinion I'd like to hear it.

Any other insight you Taco guys might have would be greatly appreciated! Looking forward to hearing from you all.

twblanset

Observer
I have a first gen manual that I love but if I had to buy another truck today it would be a second gen. The engine is really strong and it's comfortably big inside but not huge. I wouldn't be afraid of the auto in the second gen. I've had three friends with autos and I've liked them. It doesn't rob power like the auto in the first gen. The second gens tow really well. I've driven two third gens and I really didn't like the engines. They were weak and their power band is too high in the rpm range, you've got to really rev it to get it to go and the autos are constantly shifting gears trying to find power.

BrocNessMonster

I have a first gen manual that I love but if I had to buy another truck today it would be a second gen. The engine is really strong and it's comfortably big inside but not huge. I wouldn't be afraid of the auto in the second gen. I've had three friends with autos and I've liked them. It doesn't rob power like the auto in the first gen. The second gens tow really well. I've driven two third gens and I really didn't like the engines. They were weak and their power band is too high in the rpm range, you've got to really rev it to get it to go and the autos are constantly shifting gears trying to find power.
Maybe get one of the newer ones and gear it down then? You think that might be something I'll be doing regardless, if I put bigger tires on it?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I wouldn’t buy Toyota anything today. And my last three trucks were Toyota. They are just too dated and value err price doesn’t match it. I agree on the engines the 3.5 is a lousy truck engine. Its even lousy in the Highlander. Its decent in the camry tho.

Never had a GM before but a Canyon or Colorado LB would be my choice today. I like the Ranger but no LB with 4drs is lame.

jmodz

When you say 3 TRD’s do you mean the 3 TRD Pro years released or the Sport, Off-road and Pro models? If you are going to build it, skip the pro and use the savings and build the off-road as it has the best bang for your buck. However the pro is better if you want to drive off the lot and go camping. If going for a Pro model I’d look at the ‘19 since they upgraded the shocks to Bilsteins that year.

As for the 3.5, test drive it and see if you like it. It really isn’t that bad of an engine. I drive a 4cyl Tacoma and when I drive my brother in laws ‘16 it feels amazing! So it’s all subjective. I would say test drive the Colorado, Ranger, and Tacoma and see which you prefer.

shade

Welcome to ExPo! ?

A stock Tacoma with good tyres can go many places. The suspension on all of the models, TRD or not, isn't worth the premium they cost new. IMO, the main advantages offered by any of the TRD packages is the rear locker and A-TRAC system, and even that can be largely replaced with aftermarket lockers. That said, I bought a 2012 Offroad with the towing package since I believed it offered the best value. Still do.

I believe the sweet spot on value right now would be a 2012-2015 2nd gen, V6/AT, with whatever bed/cab configuration you desire. The automatic transmission is quite good and considered to have fewer problems than the manual transmission, but both are ok. Make sure the frame is rust-free; the area near the catalytic converters is a common corrosion attack point. All forms of Entune are horrible. If you're interested in anything Entune can do, buy an aftermarket unit with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay (or whatever Apple uses now), and be glad you didn't spend more for Entune.

Other than good tyres, better rear springs/bump stops, and a small compressor to allow airing down the tyres, I wouldn't recommend any modifications until you decide what you want to do with the truck. Add a shovel and go somewhere interesting.

Too many people buy a vehicle and immediately bolt everything under the sun onto it, turning a capable offroad machine into an overloaded pig. Here's a good overview for you:

Last edited:

knoxswift

If you want a manual transmission you'll have to look at the Sport model then upgrade it from there after the fact...IF you want the 6ft bed.
A crew cab is only 5 foot bed.
Do you want a camper or just tent setup. For camper you'll want the 6ft bed as there are way more options with 6ft.

BrocNessMonster

Holy smokes did I get a ton of great info in half a day. Thanks for all that guys. There's a lot for me to dig into here. Will do so tonight!

Dalko43

Explorer
If you're getting a 3rd gen, get the manual: the 3rd gen's engine is lacking in low-end torque, but at least with the manual you can select your gears and get lower (4.30) gearing.

If you're getting a 2nd gen, I'd say get either the manual or auto: the 4.0l v6 in the 2nd gen offers somewhat better torque, but don't expect might above 20 mpg in stock form...modified, the mpg's drop quite quickly.

The Tacoma design is fairly basic and has remained relatively unchanged over the years. But don't listen to the naysayers; Toyota has in fact worked in subtle, but important, improvements. The 3rd gen is a C-channel, leaf sprung IFS truck, but the frame has been updated, as has the body and interior (it does a much better job of mitigating NVH over the 2nd gen). Rear axle and IFS components are the same, or very similar, to those used on the Hilux...no need for Toyota to change them as they're somewhat overbuilt compared to what some other midsized trucks are using.

KTempleton

Observer
Don't necessarily need a TRD. A plain ole 2nd gen SR5 4x4 will get you almost everywhere you want to go. If you're already talking about regearing then throw a locker in it then if you decide you want/need it. But you can probably save a good chunk of change that route and have more money to throw at building it. I prefer the 4.0 in the 2nd gen. I feel that what it takes to get the 3rd gens to handle everything properly after adding weight and bigger tires, it's not worth the price of a new one. It becomes a pig very fast. Set on a Tacoma? A first Gen Tundra will be a bit bigger with a v8 and way cheaper. Also a 2nd/3rd gen Tundra get you a ton more space, even in the access cab. What kind of sleeping arrangement are you looking at? my buddy sleeps in a 3rd gen with a bed shell. he's 5'4'' and has to sleep at an angle to fit.

shade

my buddy sleeps in a 3rd gen with a bed shell. he's 5'4'' and has to sleep at an angle to fit.
I'm not sure why people buy a truck with a 5' bed and struggle to sleep in it. He could've bought a Tacoma with a 6' bed. It's also possible to sleep with the tailgate down on a 5' bed.

KTempleton

Observer
I'm not sure why people buy a truck with a 5' bed and struggle to sleep in it. He could've bought a Tacoma with a 6' bed. It's also possible to sleep with the tailgate down on a 5' bed.

Yeah, he wanted a long bed but found a short bed pretty much already built for an amazing price. Quicksand Off Road with shell and pretty much the full ARB works. Bumpers OME BP-51, Skids. It's a good looking truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998