Which Tacoma to buy.

Dklein90

On Christmas eve I slammed my much loved 2006 tundra with 185,000 miles into the back of a GMC deisel truck. The fact that the truck is undrivable and my now 3 month old son taking up realestate in the cab has left me in search of a new ride. I have narrowd down my search to two candidates.

-2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road double cab with 2000 miles.. $31,000 (Toyota certified through 2021) http://www.rochestertoyota.net/car/582800/Used_2015_Toyota_Tacoma_DOUBLE_CAB_4X4_V6?lpid=97

-2012 Tacoma TRD Sport double cab long bed(Canadian) with 43,000 miles.. (Toyota certified through 2019) With
TRD exhaust, cold air intake and leather heated seats. $29,000 http://www.berlincitytoyotame.com/u...ota-TACOMA-TACOMA+DoubleCab-3TMMU4FN2CM043529

Both trucks are toyota certified with extended warrenties and in great rust free condition.

I like the off rd for its newness, warenty through 2022 and the diff locker and ATRAC. ( not sure if I would use either very often but seems nice to have)

I like the sport for the long bed, better ride, comfortable seats..

I would use the truck mostly as my daily driver and some camping and exploring New England back roads. Some light to moderate off road. Most likely nothing extream.
I'm a little torn any input would be helpful.

Xrunner

Explorer
Sorry to hear about your Tundra!

Personally I would go for the 2015 TRD off road and add leather/heated seats as my budget allows. 3 years newer and 41k less miles would sell it for me unless I really needed/wanted the long bed (which makes parking/city driving more challenging, IMO). Things like a bed extender, air intake, and exhaust can be added pretty easily down the road. If you went with the 2012 you could add lockers, but you can never make it newer with less miles.

While your local market varies here in Colorado that 2015 TRD would be sold as a "demo" truck with a sticker of about $35k and negotiated down to maybe $33k. $31k certified seems like a great price!

TripLeader

Explorer
I'd do the TRD hands down.
-----
If all the unstated variables are close, getting something 3 years newer is one of the plusses. I also think it would have a higher resale if and when the need came to sell it.
-----
And, now that you are a member on ExPo, you won't want to be seen in a Tacoma without the off-road package.

fjtoyman

If you drive both, and can tolerate the brakes on the off-road version, go with that one for all the reasons above.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Dklein90

Thanks for the quick responses, seems like everyone likes the Off rd better. Here and on Tacoma World where I presented the question as well. My problem is that I think your right. The off rd is such a better deal and it's off rd prowess is by far better. But there is something about the dclb. I'm used to a long bed truck and it's just hard for me to give up. My question is if the off rd wasn't in the cards, is the sport a good option in this case. My problem is I want them both.

mbrewer

mbrewer
Thanks for the quick responses, seems like everyone likes the Off rd better. Here and on Tacoma World where I presented the question as well. My problem is that I think your right. The off rd is such a better deal and it's off rd prowess is by far better. But there is something about the dclb. I'm used to a long bed truck and it's just hard for me to give up. My question is if the off rd wasn't in the cards, is the sport a good option in this case. My problem is I want them both.

They both look like good buys to me. For a DD the long-bed double-cab would be getting into a size where u-turns and parking are getting hard, it'll also be a huge disadvantage if you wheel due to turning radius and breakover angle. If you live in a rural area and don't wheel though I suppose who cares. I too would go for the off-road hands down, but I'm the sort who would use a locker regularly.

All that said, who cares? If what you need (or want) is a long-bed get the thing you want and don't look back. I agree that a 5-foot bed isn't nearly as useful. You can't sleep in it for one. I'm selling my JK for exactly that reason. A deal on the wrong truck is no deal at all.

millerfish

Adventurer
The Off Road for sure! You cannot add the A Track system later. If you drive in the snow it would be worth while. Also short vs long beds, at 5.5' and 6.5' they are both short. I had the same debate when I purchased my tacoma, after a couple years I don't miss the longer bed at all.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I recall the turning radius difference was about 2ft between the two. SB vs LB is a question I always ask my self. Next ride will be a new 4dr midsized. LB if I think I would put a camper on it. FWC flatbed one could dream. SB if all I did was put a shell on it. Mainly for that shorter wheel base and slightly easier to live with length.

TRD for sure better value and you get the 4x4 toys. Good luck. Glad your ok..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears