Which wheel and tire set: Vote!

which wheel/tire combo

• Total voters

iRunUphill

Hey Gang,

I've spent way too much time researching wheel/tire combos for my '09 DCLB Tacoma. Here are the 2 options I've narrowed it down to, tell me what you think and which one.

Option 1: Toyota Stock Spare 16" wheels (black holies) with 255/85/16 Cooper Discoverer S/T

Option 2: ATX Mojave 17" wheels in matte black with 265/70/17 Toyo Open Country AT2

I'm leaning toward option 2 because I feel like it will be the one with better road manners, which is where we spend most of our time. But I still need something that can handle some serious overlanding.

G0!

Thanks,
Steve

montypower

Adventure Time!
Why not use the stock alloys? They are lighter weight than either option and plenty strong. I'd also recommend staying with 235/85/16, 265/75/16 as the 32" tire not only weighs substantially less it also rolls/stops easier (smaller) and won't have you wishing for re-gear and bigger brakes. I've been driving on 235s for about 2 months now. There's no way I'd go to 33s without regear and brake upgrade. But that's just me. I know tons of people do it; I just like the performance to be good for on road driving.

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
^^ Granted you have a good point, but I dont think going with a 32" willl break the bank on street handling or economy, and are just about the largest you can go and still stay within the stock power bands without a regear. And a larger tire size can actually GAIN you fuel economy, if most of your driving is at highway speeds...Larger tires mean less RPMs.

Falkon

Adventurer
Is Cooper still selling the S/T? I thought it had been moved to the S/T Maxx? Regardless, that is what I am running in a 285/75/17 S/T Maxx.

They have great road manners to me. They make a humble rumble rolling down the hiway, but I dont even notice it anymore. They have also proven perfectly capable and adept at the mild off-tarmac situations I have thrown them into. Bouldery streams, GA red clay, rocky ruts, etc.

The one downside is they are a heavy tire ~ 60#'s. My mileage has decreased slightly, but my V8 has no issues pushing them around. The upside of the weight is the strength of the tire. I wont get all detaily, but 3 ply carcass, blahdablahdablah...

I know nothing of the other three options, Sir, so I offer no opinion.

Good luck!

Ula"Tek

We have the AT2's and they are great on and off road. Very quiet on dry pavement and since we are in Vancouver we've had plenty of pooling water to deal with on the roads this winter. Zero hydroplaning.
Can't speak to the Coopers but the Toyos are much better in the snow than the BFG ATs were we had on before

badtoytrd

Mountain Lover
Just installed 255/85/16 Discoverer S/T on my 08 Taco. Really like them. Alot like a BFG All Terrain but seem to be a bit louder.

iRunUphill

Thanks for all the comments and votes so far.

For those wondering, I'm leaving my 265/70/17 studded Hakka's on my stock alloys and I never really liked the stock alloys anyways. I am definitely leaning toward option 2 for the very reason mentioned: weight of the Coopers and the potential disappointment/need for re-gearing with jumping up to the 255/85/16.

Cheers,
Steve

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
Not either of your choices, but .....
I've had the same BFG ATs (265-70-17) on the 2003 Sequoia 4WD stock alloys for 7 years. This amounts to about 90K miles. They still have some tread and will pass inspection in Virginia. I am going to replace them soon, since wife will be driving by herself some distance. We have towed various trailers many miles, traveled interstate, been on wet, dry, snow, ice, and have done a reasonable amount of expeditioning on gravel, mud, and beach. They have only been balanced one time, when new, using the Hunter Road Force balance machine. They have been rotated front to rear (same side) occasionally, meaning not like recommended. Tread wear has been fairly even. Noise level is at "I do not consider they make noise", says the wife. Good enough for me.

I have also had Michelin LTX-M/S on my F350 pickup and have been very happy with them, but not the same level of tread agressiveness as the AT's. They too have lasted 80K miles with no troubles and only one balance on the same Hunter machines. Have not been in serious mud nor on the beach like the AT's.
I am at the point where the ATs need to be replaced. Considering the Michelin, since wife will be more on road, and I now have a Jeep LJ with BFG ATs for the more expedition class stuff. Sequoia does have a lot more room. Will probably stay with the BFGs for the replacement.

My recomendation to you is BFG AT - 265-70-17. Excellent combination of side wall height, low pressure footprint, diameter, have a rim protector feature. Did have a flat once, due to a large sheet metal screw

stonepa

Observer
Option 3 with BFG ATs would get my vote. I seem to alternate between ATs and MTs on my 94 4Runner. Love them both, although the MTs get a little squirrelly at freeway speeds in snow.

chmura

Adventurer
Option 1.

I have 255/75/17 BFG KM MT on my runner and I love them. Very good on road and excellent in the dirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears