Whistling Maggiolina...

JohnnyS

Explorer
So, I mounted our Maggiolina (medium AirLand) on our 100 on a Front Runner Rack (with wind deflector installed).
Looks great however it loudly whistles, even at low speed.
It is pretty far forward on the rack so I'm thinking that somehow may be causing the whistle.
As the rear bolts are a bear to access I'm curious if anyone else has run into this and what fixed it. I'd rather not spend 2 hours moving it back 4" all for naught.

Thanks!

concretejungle

Adventurer
Have you driven around with just the rack, and just the rack with the deflector? Maybe that's what is whistling? Those tents are pretty streamline.

JohnnyS

Explorer
Yup, I mounted the rack, and deflector, several months ago. Obvious it's up there but no whistles.

Very weird...the whistle starts at less than 10 mph. Pretty loud.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Sounds like the airflow is disturbed. If you really want to see what is going on then put telltales all over the tent's surface and the roof of your 100 and then you can see what the airflow is doing. Telltales are pieces of cassette tape, ribbons or anything taped on the surfaces that will show what the air is doing. Use the world at your wind tunnel.

What you want is the telltales to flow in the first third of the tent, swept back with little movement, then around 1/3 to 1/2 back the telltales will break and flutter. You then have turbulent airflow, which is good. Maybe you can "see" the whistle, an area where the telltales are going crazy.

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
Unfortunately it happens. I had to move mine twice to get it right. Each time was only an inch or two so small changes work. Good luck. Oh yea make sure that you don't have too much stored in it as that can have the ssme effect. If you see rivets of the side it isn't completely closed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12