White Mountains August 24th, 2007

teotwaki

Excelsior!
First Teaser Photos

This was a sidetrip to a Sierra backpacking trip. Overall, nothing went as planned but the whole trip was a blast!

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Will get more tonight. I am working on a car right now... A/C problems.

Here is what you see if you came up from Silver Canyon right near Silver Peak or if you turn off the main dirt road and double back to the peak

At the top of the peak is broadcast FM stations, Ham radio, Nextel and more facilities

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Okay! So from highway 395 you get yourself to highway 168 and go east. The road gets pretty winding and keeps gaining elevation. At one point it chokes down to a single lane.

(downhill view)

There is a brand new log cabin visitor center at Schulman Grove where you pay your taxes for visiting publicly owned land. Keep in mind that anywhere in the official grove area you must stay on the main roads. Every other tempting dirt road is marked off limits.

Here is the sign on the main road

My son and I blazed out of the visitor center and went straight to the high altitude Patriarch Grove. We stayed there and walked the little tourist trails and snapped a bunch of photos

Last edited:

slosurfer

Adventurer
Mpre please! When we were up at June Lake, I kept eyeballing that area on the map. I have been wanting to go there for years.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
slosurfer said:
Mpre please! When we were up at June Lake, I kept eyeballing that area on the map. I have been wanting to go there for years.

For the last 15 years I have talked about going there and most times I was in the area in the winter when the gates were closed. Nowadays I would just plan a snowshoing trip in the winter but that is another story. Anyhow, messed up Sierra backpacking plans gave me the opportunity to go the see the bristlecone pines.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
View back to the parking area

Clowning around a weirdly shaped tree

Guess why they call them bristle cones…. Or try to grab one?

Powerful winds shaped their growth

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
spressomon said:
Did you find Medusa?

Methuselah?

I actually was sidetracked by an extensive mining operation on that trail that ran up and down the side of the mountain. When on the road approaching the visitor center you can spot the tailings on your right.

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
On the road to White Mountain there are wonderful views as well as the ruins of an old stone structure

Gratuitous truck shot....

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
It might be worth looking into coming out of Bishop southeast off of Hiway 6, through Laws and going up Silver Canyon. You come out right near Silver Peak. It is shown as 6S02 on the nice AAA Eastern Sierra map and can be followed over the mountain and down Wyman Canyon to “White Mountain City” after you look at the various bristlecone groves.

Looking towards the Sierras at the junction of 6S02 and the main road 4S01.

Note that they are encouraging folks like us!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998