White Rim Trail beta needed...(11/23 & 11/24 2007)

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
eurorom said:
100 miles on the White Rim, one day average speed 10 miles= 10 hours

Is this realistic?

Are you asking if it can be done in a day? Sure, I know several that have... I've done many 10hr wheeling days, but if I can avoid it I sure do. In this case we have 3 drive days to spread out the driving :D

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Thanks and I guess what I am asking if 10 hour drive on this trail would be safe, I was told that they are some areas that i have to be carefull and I an counting in doing an one hour lunch, so is the speed that I am planning on doing is it reasonable?

The last part of the trail even if is dark it seems like it is very easy and straight with no twisty turns?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
eurorom said:
Thanks and I guess what I am asking if 10 hour drive on this trail would be safe, I was told that they are some areas that i have to be carefull and I an counting in doing an one hour lunch, so is the speed that I am planning on doing is it reasonable?

The last part of the trail even if is dark it seems like it is very easy and straight with no twisty turns?

I can't say for certain, as I've never done the trail end to end, however I personally wouldn't hesitate to run it as such if time only allowed. I know dmc has done it in a day, as well as another freind of mine recently... Dave is somewhere enroute to Ushuaia so I'll have to ask the other dude, Jeff what his thoughts are on it.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
eurorom said:

FWIW, on Nov. 22nd (as an example) sunrise is 7:07AM and sunset is 5:01PM. So you will only have 8 hours of light. I think 10 hours is doing it without much stopping. Starting at Shafer switchbacks, the final run after the Mineral Bottom switchbacks is a graded road, high speeds are achievable with the only caveat being wildlife and other vehicles. I would assume the final 12 miles can be averaged at ~30+MPH at night. I would get started at the crack of dawn and it should be fine.

As far as being safe. On the Mineral Bottom switchbacks there's this rolled car about 3/4 of the way up:
View attachment 12304

Oh, this is camp boundary for Murphy 'B':
View attachment 12305

This shot was taken from Murphy 'A':
View attachment 12306

Last edited:

durangodds

Adventurer
eurorom said:
100 miles on the White Rim, one day average speed 10 miles= 10 hours

Is this realistic?
Yes, you can run it in a day, but why would you want to? The road itself is an uninteresting two track with no difficult obstacles. The reason you're there is the scenery and the overall experience. If you just want to tick it off the list then go for it, but I don't see the purpose.

One side trip of note is Lathrop Canyon. There used to be a picnic area at the bottom along the river. The big rains of 06 wreaked havoc on the road and the NPS says you can't go down there anymore. I don't believe them though, so let me know.:)

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
neliconcept said:
dude if you want get there on monday morning, ill give you my # number and you can share the campsites with me

8643766393 give me a call and you can stay 5 nights if you have the gear.

if you cant get there on time, i can still get your plate # and give it to the visitors center and tell you what days at what campsites ill be at.

Thanks, however i can't be there on Monday morning I have a meeting to attend and then I will depart as close as possible to 1:00pm.

I will be there in the Island at 7:30am on Tuesday dough!:oops:

cybercat

Adventurer
cruiseroutfit said:
Planning to run the White Rim Trail in the coming weeks... I've don't both ends (in & out of the trail) but never the middle section, nor done it all in one sweep.

Which campspots would you pick versus others?

Which hikes would you do again?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA :cool:

I just finished a 3 day ride on the trail a couple of weeks ago.
Here is a great map of the trial.
http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/upload/island.pdf

Gooseberry is a good spot you get the sun in the morning which you will really appreaciate this time of year .

Murphy Hogsback has the one of the best views.
Potato Bottom gets dark by 5pm and lights up about 9:00 makes for a cold start.

rgsiii

Observer
eurorom said:
I am planning on doing it in one day, so that I may have an excuse to come back!

...or at least half!:oops:

I think you could do it in a day without problems. As mentioned in a previous post, it would be less than ideal--there is too much to see.

I think of the previous campsites, I have stayed at two and would agree with the choices. Try to see if there is availability--they fill up early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman