Who has the oldest, still working 12 volt fridge/freezer?

bear100

Same here, Engel MT45 purchased 16 years ago and has been used in the house and on overland (I’m currently overland now in Chamonix) pretty much since! Amazing and apart from my Defender it’s the best bit of overland kit

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I have an old ARB that I bought in the early 90s. It is still running like new but has a few dings on the metal exterior and looks far from new.
If it is the 2 tone coloured one then your fridge is Actually a rebadged "Engel" so it should last at leased 40 years

gwittman

Adventurer
If it is the 2 tone coloured one then your fridge is Actually a rebadged "Engel" so it should last at leased 40 years

I guess you could call it two tone. It is mostly a metallic light blue with some black trim. Yes, it is a rebadged Engel. I have seen one very much like it that had the Engel name somewhere on it, but had ARB nameplate on it. Mine has no reference to Engel but I know is one.

I actually have two of them. When I bought it, it came to me shipped UPS. It was damaged in shipping. It was just a small dent near the compressor but I was concerned that something may have been damage and would eventually fail. I contacted ARB and they immediately sent another one to me. UPS didn't pick up the damaged one. After about a month I called ARB and asked them what to do with it. They told me it now belongs to UPS and if they don't come get it, it is yours. I am still waiting for UPS to pick it up. I use it in my house as an extra freezer when needed.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
20 years for my ARB (Engel) MT35F that I've owned for ten years (Purchased 2010), and it was already nine years old when I got it. My owners manual has a print date of 2001 with a s/n 0048. It has performed flawlessly in extreme temps.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Does anyone have a picture of the ARB that was made by Engel? I'd like to find a used one.

I would think I'd have tons of pics of my fridge, but I don't.... I did dig up some old ones..

Engel still sells these models which are essentially unchanged except for some electronics updates.

Some cool Engel History

30 Years and still going

Here is my MT35 shortly after I got it in 2010

Here it is with the transit cover, and the "TwoZone" addition adding 15L but it doesn't chill the top section.

I'll note that my MT35 holds Mexican 8-Packs perfectly..

Oh, and here is an ancient Engle MT60 I just got on CraigsList for $75

Still works like a charm..

plh

Explorer
I have an Edgestar FP430 that I bought used 10 years ago, not sure how to find real age. If its not in my truck, it serves duty as a beer fridge in the basement, so has virtually been powered up since I bought it. I have replaced the hinges and lift handles with metal versions. The original hinges disintegrated a couple years ago. I upgraded the handles and added strap hooks so I could strap it down easier in the truck.

acmcgaha

I would think I'd have tons of pics of my fridge, but I don't.... I did dig up some old ones..

Engel still sells these models which are essentially unchanged except for some electronics updates.

Some cool Engel History

30 Years and still going

Here is my MT35 shortly after I got it in 2010

Here it is with the transit cover, and the "TwoZone" addition adding 15L but it doesn't chill the top section.

I'll note that my MT35 holds Mexican 8-Packs perfectly..

Oh, and here is an ancient Engle MT60 I just got on CraigsList for $75

Still works like a charm..
Thank you very much. What a cool looking unit. I will keep an eye out, but not my hopes up :). I just ordered an MT45 yesterday and should have it in +/- 4 days. I couldn't find (and didn't know what I was looking for) a picture of the Engel ARB anywhere online.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Thank you very much. What a cool looking unit. I will keep an eye out, but not my hopes up :). I just ordered an MT45 yesterday and should have it in +/- 4 days. I couldn't find (and didn't know what I was looking for) a picture of the Engel ARB anywhere online.

I think you're going to be happy with the MT45. I think that's the perfect size. The MT35 is too small for longer trips so that's why I got the TwoZone topper for mine. My recently purchased MT60 is way too big for my FJ but I'm planning to put it in my newly acquired trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle