who is using a real gps vs a tablet

plh

Explorer
I picked up this Android 9 phablet (phone/tablet) its 10" and works very well for GPS. Google fi data sim is $10/gig no contract, pay for use. Works perfectly fine on this devise, but only utilizes T-mobile 4G LTE network.

newer link:

I added a 128 gig memory card, should be plenty of space for the next decade.

Last edited:

BagiMT

Naturalist
I have to agree. For what I want. Which is large areas like the entire western states ca or wa Id
Nev az I have not found a program that will allow larrge downloads at sufficient detail. Typical zoom level 15 for accurate topo. I bought a Magellan tr7. And while the topo and trails are there. The screen is not bright so it’s hard to see even in the Jeep. I noticed it was very nice in the Jeep when the Jeep was in the shade. So far what I have found is that the main programs. Have. File size limits. For downloading. Think 100,000 tiles So if you want Detail every where you are stuck with these small sizes that take forever to cover any significant area let alone the states. And by the way the area of the states. I am taking about excludes all metro areas. Maybe I am wrong. My attempts have been with a Lenovo tab with gps using a 128 gig sd storage card. Running BCN. Of topo USA.
OsmAnd is the most overlooked app for overlanding. Much better than Gaia or BCN. Maps are vector maps and you can download one state at a time. I have all of the SW US and it's only a couple of GB. It's based on Open Street Maps and has great coverage for off-road trails an forest service roads. Better than Garmin. Maps are available work wife. The app does turn-by-turn navigation even on off-road and hiking trails. Has different modes and themes for on and off-road driving. I have it running on a Nexus 9 I picked up for cheap. Also have a Garmin GPS for daily use around town.

129006e830615bca9e80bc57868732b4.jpg

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears